Samsung 1TB drives? - Storage

This is a discussion on Samsung 1TB drives? - Storage ; Is there any reason for me to be suspicious or worried about using the Samsung HD103UJ? I've seen no hard evidence against them, but they are the only drives on the market with more than 250GB/platter (a third more, in ...

  1. Samsung 1TB drives?

    Is there any reason for me to be suspicious
    or worried about using the Samsung HD103UJ?

    I've seen no hard evidence against them, but
    they are the only drives on the market with
    more than 250GB/platter (a third more, in
    fact), and they've entered the market quite
    late and at a very low price.

    I suppose it's possible that Samsung have
    over-reached themselves with these drives'
    areal density, but it's probably futile to
    try to predict their likely failure rates.

    I'm asking because I have a computer with
    ten 750GB Seagate 7200.10 disks (not Chinese
    ones, I hasten to add) arranged in RAID-0
    pairs, with each pair as a separate logical
    drive. This uses the eight SATA and two PATA
    master channels on the motherboard (with a
    DVD writer connected as a PATA slave); even
    though the SATA interfaces are on the PCI
    bus rather than PCI-E, it's fast enough for
    my needs.

    It's a chore to keep all this data backed up
    properly, so I'm considering assembling a
    similar machine with eight 1TB Samsungs, and
    connecting it to the first machine with a
    gigabit Ethernet connection for transferring
    files. My existing back-up arrangements would
    be relegated to longer term, less frequent
    updates.

    I'm thinking of 1TB disks, since it's easier
    to find SATA controllers and large cases for
    eight drives than it is for ten, and Samsungs
    because they're a different brand to what I'm
    already using, and much cheaper than Hitachi.

    Comments?

    Also, has the recent spate of failing Seagate
    hard drives been restricted mainly to the
    7200.11 and the Chinese 7200.10 models?

  2. Re: Samsung 1TB drives?

    Previously A. J. Moss wrote:
    > Is there any reason for me to be suspicious
    > or worried about using the Samsung HD103UJ?

    > I've seen no hard evidence against them, but
    > they are the only drives on the market with
    > more than 250GB/platter (a third more, in
    > fact), and they've entered the market quite
    > late and at a very low price.

    > I suppose it's possible that Samsung have
    > over-reached themselves with these drives'
    > areal density, but it's probably futile to
    > try to predict their likely failure rates.

    > I'm asking because I have a computer with
    > ten 750GB Seagate 7200.10 disks (not Chinese
    > ones, I hasten to add) arranged in RAID-0
    > pairs, with each pair as a separate logical
    > drive. This uses the eight SATA and two PATA
    > master channels on the motherboard (with a
    > DVD writer connected as a PATA slave); even
    > though the SATA interfaces are on the PCI
    > bus rather than PCI-E, it's fast enough for
    > my needs.

    > It's a chore to keep all this data backed up
    > properly, so I'm considering assembling a
    > similar machine with eight 1TB Samsungs, and
    > connecting it to the first machine with a
    > gigabit Ethernet connection for transferring
    > files. My existing back-up arrangements would
    > be relegated to longer term, less frequent
    > updates.

    > I'm thinking of 1TB disks, since it's easier
    > to find SATA controllers and large cases for
    > eight drives than it is for ten, and Samsungs
    > because they're a different brand to what I'm
    > already using, and much cheaper than Hitachi.

    > Comments?

    > Also, has the recent spate of failing Seagate
    > hard drives been restricted mainly to the
    > 7200.11 and the Chinese 7200.10 models?

    It seems in the forst generation of the 1TB Samsungs, there
    was some firmware issue. If there was, then it is solved in
    the current version.

    As to the chinese Seagates, yes, thay are bad, but it
    seems to mainly be bad Q/A, so individual disks might
    be perfectly fine. Probably a cultural problem with
    the chinese managers unable to get a decent yield and
    then lying about it by allowing defective drives to
    be shipped.

    Arno

  3. Re: Samsung 1TB drives?

    A. J. Moss wrote

    > Is there any reason for me to be suspicious
    > or worried about using the Samsung HD103UJ?

    Nope.

    > I've seen no hard evidence against them, but
    > they are the only drives on the market with
    > more than 250GB/platter (a third more, in
    > fact), and they've entered the market quite late

    Thats very commonly seen with Samsung.

    > and at a very low price.

    They arent unusually low priced for a 1TB drive.

    > I suppose it's possible that Samsung have
    > over-reached themselves with these drives'
    > areal density, but it's probably futile to
    > try to predict their likely failure rates.

    > I'm asking because I have a computer with
    > ten 750GB Seagate 7200.10 disks (not Chinese
    > ones, I hasten to add) arranged in RAID-0
    > pairs, with each pair as a separate logical
    > drive. This uses the eight SATA and two PATA
    > master channels on the motherboard (with a
    > DVD writer connected as a PATA slave); even
    > though the SATA interfaces are on the PCI bus
    > rather than PCI-E, it's fast enough for my needs.

    > It's a chore to keep all this data backed up
    > properly, so I'm considering assembling a
    > similar machine with eight 1TB Samsungs, and
    > connecting it to the first machine with a
    > gigabit Ethernet connection for transferring
    > files. My existing back-up arrangements would
    > be relegated to longer term, less frequent updates.

    > I'm thinking of 1TB disks, since it's easier
    > to find SATA controllers and large cases for
    > eight drives than it is for ten, and Samsungs
    > because they're a different brand to what I'm
    > already using, and much cheaper than Hitachi.

    > Comments?

    Sounds like a very viable approach.

    > Also, has the recent spate of failing Seagate
    > hard drives been restricted mainly to the
    > 7200.11 and the Chinese 7200.10 models?

    Nope, there's also a problem with rebranded Maxtors.

  4. Re: Samsung 1TB drives?

    PS. Sorry about the lack of paragraph spaces. A cut+paste
    from notepad to snot-groups seems to have gone awry.

  5. Re: Samsung 1TB drives?

    A. J. Moss wrote:
    > Is there any reason for me to be suspicious
    > or worried about using the Samsung HD103UJ?
    >
    > I've seen no hard evidence against them, but
    > they are the only drives on the market with
    > more than 250GB/platter (a third more, in
    > fact), and they've entered the market quite
    > late and at a very low price.
    >
    > I suppose it's possible that Samsung have
    > over-reached themselves with these drives'
    > areal density, but it's probably futile to
    > try to predict their likely failure rates.
    >
    > I'm asking because I have a computer with
    > ten 750GB Seagate 7200.10 disks (not Chinese
    > ones, I hasten to add) arranged in RAID-0
    > pairs, with each pair as a separate logical
    > drive. This uses the eight SATA and two PATA
    > master channels on the motherboard (with a
    > DVD writer connected as a PATA slave); even
    > though the SATA interfaces are on the PCI
    > bus rather than PCI-E, it's fast enough for
    > my needs.
    >
    > It's a chore to keep all this data backed up
    > properly, so I'm considering assembling a
    > similar machine with eight 1TB Samsungs, and
    > connecting it to the first machine with a
    > gigabit Ethernet connection for transferring
    > files. My existing back-up arrangements would
    > be relegated to longer term, less frequent
    > updates.
    >
    > I'm thinking of 1TB disks, since it's easier
    > to find SATA controllers and large cases for
    > eight drives than it is for ten, and Samsungs
    > because they're a different brand to what I'm
    > already using, and much cheaper than Hitachi.
    >
    > Comments?
    >
    > Also, has the recent spate of failing Seagate
    > hard drives been restricted mainly to the
    > 7200.11 and the Chinese 7200.10 models?

    How does one tell the Chinese-produced models from other models?

  6. Re: Samsung 1TB drives?

    Previously Ken wrote:
    > A. J. Moss wrote:
    >> Is there any reason for me to be suspicious
    >> or worried about using the Samsung HD103UJ?
    >>
    >> I've seen no hard evidence against them, but
    >> they are the only drives on the market with
    >> more than 250GB/platter (a third more, in
    >> fact), and they've entered the market quite
    >> late and at a very low price.
    >>
    >> I suppose it's possible that Samsung have
    >> over-reached themselves with these drives'
    >> areal density, but it's probably futile to
    >> try to predict their likely failure rates.
    >>
    >> I'm asking because I have a computer with
    >> ten 750GB Seagate 7200.10 disks (not Chinese
    >> ones, I hasten to add) arranged in RAID-0
    >> pairs, with each pair as a separate logical
    >> drive. This uses the eight SATA and two PATA
    >> master channels on the motherboard (with a
    >> DVD writer connected as a PATA slave); even
    >> though the SATA interfaces are on the PCI
    >> bus rather than PCI-E, it's fast enough for
    >> my needs.
    >>
    >> It's a chore to keep all this data backed up
    >> properly, so I'm considering assembling a
    >> similar machine with eight 1TB Samsungs, and
    >> connecting it to the first machine with a
    >> gigabit Ethernet connection for transferring
    >> files. My existing back-up arrangements would
    >> be relegated to longer term, less frequent
    >> updates.
    >>
    >> I'm thinking of 1TB disks, since it's easier
    >> to find SATA controllers and large cases for
    >> eight drives than it is for ten, and Samsungs
    >> because they're a different brand to what I'm
    >> already using, and much cheaper than Hitachi.
    >>
    >> Comments?
    >>
    >> Also, has the recent spate of failing Seagate
    >> hard drives been restricted mainly to the
    >> 7200.11 and the Chinese 7200.10 models?

    > How does one tell the Chinese-produced models from other models?

    A big label of doom containing the senctence
    "Made in China" on the disk.

    Arno

  7. Re: Samsung 1TB drives?

    Ken wrote in news:I4_Qj.4$B25.1@newsfe02.lga
    > A. J. Moss wrote:
    > > Is there any reason for me to be suspicious
    > > or worried about using the Samsung HD103UJ?
    > >
    > > I've seen no hard evidence against them, but
    > > they are the only drives on the market with
    > > more than 250GB/platter (a third more, in
    > > fact), and they've entered the market quite
    > > late and at a very low price.
    > >
    > > I suppose it's possible that Samsung have
    > > over-reached themselves with these drives'
    > > areal density, but it's probably futile to
    > > try to predict their likely failure rates.
    > >
    > > I'm asking because I have a computer with
    > > ten 750GB Seagate 7200.10 disks (not Chinese
    > > ones, I hasten to add) arranged in RAID-0
    > > pairs, with each pair as a separate logical
    > > drive. This uses the eight SATA and two PATA
    > > master channels on the motherboard (with a
    > > DVD writer connected as a PATA slave); even
    > > though the SATA interfaces are on the PCI
    > > bus rather than PCI-E, it's fast enough for
    > > my needs.
    > >
    > > It's a chore to keep all this data backed up
    > > properly, so I'm considering assembling a
    > > similar machine with eight 1TB Samsungs, and
    > > connecting it to the first machine with a
    > > gigabit Ethernet connection for transferring
    > > files. My existing back-up arrangements would
    > > be relegated to longer term, less frequent
    > > updates.
    > >
    > > I'm thinking of 1TB disks, since it's easier
    > > to find SATA controllers and large cases for
    > > eight drives than it is for ten, and Samsungs
    > > because they're a different brand to what I'm
    > > already using, and much cheaper than Hitachi.
    > >
    > > Comments?
    > >
    > > Also, has the recent spate of failing Seagate
    > > hard drives been restricted mainly to the
    > > 7200.11 and the Chinese 7200.10 models?

    > How does one tell the Chinese-produced models from other models?

    That is such a good question.
    Glad that there is still a few smart people
    around here to ask intelligent questions.

  8. Re: Samsung 1TB drives?

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Ken wrote:
    >> A. J. Moss wrote:
    >>> Is there any reason for me to be suspicious
    >>> or worried about using the Samsung HD103UJ?
    >>>
    >>> I've seen no hard evidence against them, but
    >>> they are the only drives on the market with
    >>> more than 250GB/platter (a third more, in
    >>> fact), and they've entered the market quite
    >>> late and at a very low price.
    >>>
    >>> I suppose it's possible that Samsung have
    >>> over-reached themselves with these drives'
    >>> areal density, but it's probably futile to
    >>> try to predict their likely failure rates.
    >>>
    >>> I'm asking because I have a computer with
    >>> ten 750GB Seagate 7200.10 disks (not Chinese
    >>> ones, I hasten to add) arranged in RAID-0
    >>> pairs, with each pair as a separate logical
    >>> drive. This uses the eight SATA and two PATA
    >>> master channels on the motherboard (with a
    >>> DVD writer connected as a PATA slave); even
    >>> though the SATA interfaces are on the PCI
    >>> bus rather than PCI-E, it's fast enough for
    >>> my needs.
    >>>
    >>> It's a chore to keep all this data backed up
    >>> properly, so I'm considering assembling a
    >>> similar machine with eight 1TB Samsungs, and
    >>> connecting it to the first machine with a
    >>> gigabit Ethernet connection for transferring
    >>> files. My existing back-up arrangements would
    >>> be relegated to longer term, less frequent
    >>> updates.
    >>>
    >>> I'm thinking of 1TB disks, since it's easier
    >>> to find SATA controllers and large cases for
    >>> eight drives than it is for ten, and Samsungs
    >>> because they're a different brand to what I'm
    >>> already using, and much cheaper than Hitachi.
    >>>
    >>> Comments?
    >>>
    >>> Also, has the recent spate of failing Seagate
    >>> hard drives been restricted mainly to the
    >>> 7200.11 and the Chinese 7200.10 models?

    >> How does one tell the Chinese-produced models from other models?

    > A big label of doom containing the senctence
    > "Made in China" on the disk.
    >
    > Arno

    So what you are saying is that one cannot tell until the box is opened? ??

    KK

  9. Re: Samsung 1TB drives?

    Ken wrote in news:gEvRj.36$go5.25@newsfe02.lga
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    > > Previously Ken wrote:

    [snip]
    > > > How does one tell the Chinese-produced models from other models?

    > > A big label of doom containing the senctence
    > > "Made in China" on the disk.
    > >
    > > Arno

    > So what you are saying is that one cannot tell until the box is opened? ??

    Is that a problem, Ken?

    > KK

+ Reply to Thread