External lacie 120 running, but not recognized? - Storage

This is a discussion on External lacie 120 running, but not recognized? - Storage ; External lacie 120 running, but not recognized? I have a Lacie external hard drive (120 gigs). It has been great for a while, but the other day using the Firewire, it is no longer recognized. I can hear it whiring ...

  1. External lacie 120 running, but not recognized?

    External lacie 120 running, but not recognized?

    I have a Lacie external hard drive (120 gigs). It has been great for
    a while, but the other day using the Firewire, it is no longer
    recognized. I can hear it whiring and it sounds ok (I have had failed
    HD's before and have learned to know the sound of death by HD). I am
    not sure what it is - could it be a iMac error? Or maybe the drive
    table?

    Thanks

    Sorry I double posted after I found the storage forum...

  2. Re: External lacie 120 running, but not recognized?

    David De wrote:

    > External lacie 120 running, but not recognized?
    >
    > I have a Lacie external hard drive (120 gigs). It has been great for
    > a while, but the other day using the Firewire, it is no longer
    > recognized. I can hear it whiring and it sounds ok (I have had failed
    > HD's before and have learned to know the sound of death by HD). I am
    > not sure what it is - could it be a iMac error? Or maybe the drive
    > table?

    I suppose you have checked that the cables are in firmly. I expect you
    haven't moved them at all, and that they are firm. But having just
    myself had a drive not recognised for that simple reason (drive moved,
    cable somewhat in but not firmly enough) I feel willing to make such a
    basic suggestion.

    Have you shutdown the computer and started it up again, in case it is an
    odd glitch?

    Does Disk Utility see the drive at all? Again, I had unmounted a drive
    and forgotten to turn it off. DU let me mount it.

    --
    http://www.decohen.com
    Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;

  3. Re: External lacie 120 running, but not recognized?

    I have checked the cables, they seem ok- but the mounting seems
    interesting. How can I re-mount it? I am not a mac guy, this is just
    a friend's computer.

    On Apr 26, 3:23 am, dans...@f2s.com (Daniel Cohen) wrote:
    > David De wrote:
    > > External lacie 120 running, but not recognized?

    > > I have a Lacie external hard drive (120 gigs). It has been great for
    > > a while, but the other day using the Firewire, it is no longer
    > > recognized. I can hear it whiring and it sounds ok (I have had failed
    > > HD's before and have learned to know the sound of death by HD). I am
    > > not sure what it is - could it be a iMac error? Or maybe the drive
    > > table?

    > I suppose you have checked that the cables are in firmly. I expect you
    > haven't moved them at all, and that they are firm. But having just
    > myself had a drive not recognised for that simple reason (drive moved,
    > cable somewhat in but not firmly enough) I feel willing to make such a
    > basic suggestion.
    >
    > Have you shutdown the computer and started it up again, in case it is an
    > odd glitch?
    >
    > Does Disk Utility see the drive at all? Again, I had unmounted a drive
    > and forgotten to turn it off. DU let me mount it.
    >
    > --http://www.decohen.com
    > Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;
    > mail to the From address is never read

  4. Re: External lacie 120 running, but not recognized?

    I just thought of something else : I wonder if it is possible to take
    the drive out of the enclosure and hook it up to an USB external
    enclosure instead to see if that makes a difference? The enclosure
    only has two firewire ports....yes the Lacie is about 4-5 years old.

    On Apr 28, 7:23 am, David De
    wrote:
    > I have checked the cables, they seem ok- but the mounting seems
    > interesting. How can I re-mount it? I am not a mac guy, this is just
    > a friend's computer.

  5. Re: External lacie 120 running, but not recognized?

    RE:
    << I have checked the cables, they seem ok- but the mounting
    seems interesting. How can I re-mount it? I am not a mac
    guy, this is just a friend's computer. >>

    No guarantees, but you can try this:
    - Power down, unplug everything, RE-plug everything, then
    reboot.
    - If the LaCie doesn't automatically mount, continue with
    the following:
    - Launch the "Disk Utility" application (in the "Utilities"
    folder in the "Applications" folder)
    - Does the LaCie drive "show up" in the left-side panel of
    Disk Utility?
    - If it does (even if it is "greyed out"), click it one time
    to select it, then try clicking "Mount" up above.

    Might work, might not.... but worth the try.

    - John

  6. Re: External lacie 120 running, but not recognized?

    David De wrote:

    > I have checked the cables, they seem ok- but the mounting seems
    > interesting. How can I re-mount it?

    Open Disk Utility, click on the drive, and see whether it says Mount or
    Unmount. If it says Mount, then it was not mounted, and clicking on
    Mount should get it mounted.

    Alternatively, switch the drive off and then on again. That should work
    if it is just a mounting problem. You will have seen other posts which
    suggest that it might be a problem with the power supply.
    --
    http://www.decohen.com
    Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;
    mail to the From address is never read

  7. Re: External lacie 120 running, but not recognized?

    Yes, it is recognized in the Utilities, but still fails to mount - not
    sure what could be causing this. The pins are ok.

    > Open Disk Utility, click on the drive, and see whether it says Mount or
    > Unmount. If it says Mount, then it was not mounted, and clicking on
    > Mount should get it mounted.
    >
    > Alternatively, switch the drive off and then on again. That should work
    > if it is just a mounting problem. You will have seen other posts which
    > suggest that it might be a problem with the power supply.
    > --http://www.decohen.com
    > Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;
    > mail to the From address is never read

  8. Re: External lacie 120 running, but not recognized?

    In article
    ,
    David De wrote:

    > I wonder if it is possible to take
    > the drive out of the enclosure and hook it up to an USB external
    > enclosure instead to see if that makes a difference?

    David-

    Yes, you can try this. Assuming it is the same type of drive the USB
    enclosure supports, you can determine whether the problem is with the
    drive mechanism or with the enclosure. You might also try another drive
    in the LaCie enclosure. However, some older enclosures have an
    interface circuit that does not work with drives larger than 120 MB.

    Since Disk Utility can see the drive, it may be possible to
    re-initialize and reformat it. Doing so may be all that is needed, but
    would result of loss of data.

    Fred

+ Reply to Thread