Hard drive manufacturer recos - Storage

This is a discussion on Hard drive manufacturer recos - Storage ; On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:22:51 -0700, Ken wrote: >I am interested in recos for a reliable, quiet hdd in larger format >(50GB to 1 T) for storage of my film DVDs. > >Once upon a time there was a ...

  1. Re: Hard drive manufacturer recos

    wrote:

    >I am interested in recos for a reliable, quiet hdd in larger format
    >(50GB to 1 T) for storage of my film DVDs.
    >
    >Once upon a time there was a website that did comparisons of various
    >qualities of hdd's including noise, speed, real-life read-writes, but I
    >cannot remember the name.
    >
    >The other thing is the question of reliability. My assumption is that if
    >I can find a hdd with a warranty of more than 1 year, it is probably a
    >higher quality than one that only has one year. Is that a reasonable
    >assumption? The bottom line is that I want to stay away from any
    >drives/manufacturers that are dogs.

    I now use Seagate internal SATAII drives because they all
    come with 5-year warranties. The 1TB drive has a mfr stated
    failure rate of 0.34% per year (34 out of 10k). They are
    just over US $200 each, so pricing not much more (per gb)
    when compared to a 750gb or two 500gb. Maxtor-branded drives
    are still sold, but are labelled as such.

  2. Hard drive manufacturer recos

    I am interested in recos for a reliable, quiet hdd in larger format
    (50GB to 1 T) for storage of my film DVDs.

    Once upon a time there was a website that did comparisons of various
    qualities of hdd's including noise, speed, real-life read-writes, but I
    cannot remember the name.

    The other thing is the question of reliability. My assumption is that if
    I can find a hdd with a warranty of more than 1 year, it is probably a
    higher quality than one that only has one year. Is that a reasonable
    assumption? The bottom line is that I want to stay away from any
    drives/manufacturers that are dogs.

    Thanks
    Ken K

  3. Re: Hard drive manufacturer recos

    Ken wrote:

    > I am interested in recos for a reliable, quiet hdd in larger format (50GB to 1 T) for storage of my film DVDs.

    I like Samsung myself.

    > Once upon a time there was a website that did comparisons of various qualities of hdd's including noise, speed,
    > real-life read-writes, but I cannot remember the name.

    storagereview.com

    > The other thing is the question of reliability. My assumption is that if I can find a hdd with a warranty of more than
    > 1 year, it is probably a higher quality than one that only has one year.

    The only drives with 1 year warrantys now are externals.

    > Is that a reasonable assumption?

    Nope, the same drives have a 1 year warranty when in an external housing now.

    > The bottom line is that I want to stay away
    > from any drives/manufacturers that are dogs.

    Then avoid Seagate because they have absorbed Maxtor and those were the biggest dogs,
    and Seagate is the only one manufacturing in china and that shows in the reliability of the drives.

  4. Re: Hard drive manufacturer recos

    Rod Speed said the following on 4/25/2008 1:56 PM:
    > Ken wrote:
    >
    >> I am interested in recos for a reliable, quiet hdd in larger format (50GB to 1 T) for storage of my film DVDs.

    > I like Samsung myself.
    >
    >> Once upon a time there was a website that did comparisons of various qualities of hdd's including noise, speed,
    >> real-life read-writes, but I cannot remember the name.

    > storagereview.com
    >
    >> The other thing is the question of reliability. My assumption is that if I can find a hdd with a warranty of more than
    >> 1 year, it is probably a higher quality than one that only has one year.

    > The only drives with 1 year warrantys now are externals.
    >
    >> Is that a reasonable assumption?

    > Nope, the same drives have a 1 year warranty when in an external housing now.
    >
    >> The bottom line is that I want to stay away
    >> from any drives/manufacturers that are dogs.

    > Then avoid Seagate because they have absorbed Maxtor and those were the biggest dogs,
    > and Seagate is the only one manufacturing in china and that shows in the reliability of the drives.

    Thanks for the info. Storagereview.com is what I had forgotten.

    KK

  5. Re: Hard drive manufacturer recos

    Rod Speed wrote in news:67euroF25pitjU1@mid.individual.net
    > Ken wrote:
    >
    > > I am interested in recos for a reliable, quiet hdd in larger format (50GB
    > > to 1 T) for storage of my film DVDs.

    > I like Samsung myself.
    >
    > > Once upon a time there was a website that did comparisons of various
    > > qualities of hdd's including noise, speed, real-life read-writes, but I
    > > cannot remember the name.

    > storagereview.com
    >
    > > The other thing is the question of reliability. My assumption is that if I
    > > can find a hdd with a warranty of more than 1 year, it is probably a higher
    > > quality than one that only has one year.

    > The only drives with 1 year warrantys now are externals.
    >
    > > Is that a reasonable assumption?

    > Nope, the same drives have a 1 year warranty when in an external housing now.
    >
    > > The bottom line is that I want to stay away
    > > from any drives/manufacturers that are dogs.

    > Then avoid Seagate because they have absorbed Maxtor and those were the
    > biggest dogs,

    > and Seagate is the only one manufacturing in china

    Nonsense, so is Hitachi. And they both manufacture elsewhere too.

    > and that shows in the reliability of the drives.

    Pathetic really.

  6. Re: Hard drive manufacturer recos

    Rod Speed said the following on 4/25/2008 1:56 PM:
    > Ken wrote:
    >
    >> I am interested in recos for a reliable, quiet hdd in larger format (50GB to 1 T) for storage of my film DVDs.

    > I like Samsung myself.
    >
    >> Once upon a time there was a website that did comparisons of various qualities of hdd's including noise, speed,
    >> real-life read-writes, but I cannot remember the name.

    > storagereview.com
    >
    >> The other thing is the question of reliability. My assumption is that if I can find a hdd with a warranty of more than
    >> 1 year, it is probably a higher quality than one that only has one year.

    > The only drives with 1 year warrantys now are externals.
    >
    >> Is that a reasonable assumption?

    > Nope, the same drives have a 1 year warranty when in an external housing now.
    >
    >> The bottom line is that I want to stay away
    >> from any drives/manufacturers that are dogs.

    > Then avoid Seagate because they have absorbed Maxtor and those were the biggest dogs,
    > and Seagate is the only one manufacturing in china and that shows in the reliability of the drives.

    Are any of the Western Digital drives acceptable?

  7. Re: Hard drive manufacturer recos

    Ken wrote:
    > Rod Speed said the following on 4/25/2008 1:56 PM:
    >> Ken wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am interested in recos for a reliable, quiet hdd in larger format
    >>> (50GB to 1 T) for storage of my film DVDs.

    >> I like Samsung myself.
    >>
    >>> Once upon a time there was a website that did comparisons of
    >>> various qualities of hdd's including noise, speed, real-life
    >>> read-writes, but I cannot remember the name.

    >> storagereview.com
    >>
    >>> The other thing is the question of reliability. My assumption is
    >>> that if I can find a hdd with a warranty of more than 1 year, it is
    >>> probably a higher quality than one that only has one year.

    >> The only drives with 1 year warrantys now are externals.
    >>
    >>> Is that a reasonable assumption?

    >> Nope, the same drives have a 1 year warranty when in an external
    >> housing now.
    >>> The bottom line is that I want to stay away
    >>> from any drives/manufacturers that are dogs.

    >> Then avoid Seagate because they have absorbed Maxtor and those were
    >> the biggest dogs, and Seagate is the only one manufacturing in china and that shows in
    >> the reliability of the drives.

    > Are any of the Western Digital drives acceptable?

    I generally avoid them myself tho I did use them at one time.

    Mainly because they had a silly jumpering scheme for a long time,
    and were very late with fluid bearings, problems with use in external
    housings and didnt really have too much in their favor.

    Only the last of those is true now, and the RE2 is interesting, lower power than many drives.

  8. Re: Hard drive manufacturer recos

    Previously Ken wrote:
    > Rod Speed said the following on 4/25/2008 1:56 PM:
    >> Ken wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am interested in recos for a reliable, quiet hdd in larger format (50GB to 1 T) for storage of my film DVDs.

    >> I like Samsung myself.
    >>
    >>> Once upon a time there was a website that did comparisons of various qualities of hdd's including noise, speed,
    >>> real-life read-writes, but I cannot remember the name.

    >> storagereview.com
    >>
    >>> The other thing is the question of reliability. My assumption is that if I can find a hdd with a warranty of more than
    >>> 1 year, it is probably a higher quality than one that only has one year.

    >> The only drives with 1 year warrantys now are externals.
    >>
    >>> Is that a reasonable assumption?

    >> Nope, the same drives have a 1 year warranty when in an external housing now.
    >>
    >>> The bottom line is that I want to stay away
    >>> from any drives/manufacturers that are dogs.

    >> Then avoid Seagate because they have absorbed Maxtor and those were the biggest dogs,
    >> and Seagate is the only one manufacturing in china and that shows in the reliability of the drives.
    >>

    > Are any of the Western Digital drives acceptable?

    The 1TB GPs cause frequent command timeouts. I have one and will not
    risk another.

    Arno

  9. Re: Hard drive manufacturer recos

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Ken wrote:
    >> Rod Speed said the following on 4/25/2008 1:56 PM:

    >>> I like Samsung myself.

    >>> storagereview.com

    >>> The only drives with 1 year warrantys now are externals.

    >>> Nope, the same drives have a 1 year warranty when in an external housing now.

    >>> Then avoid Seagate because they have absorbed Maxtor and those were the biggest dogs,
    >>> and Seagate is the only one manufacturing in china and that shows in the reliability of the drives.
    >>>

    >> Are any of the Western Digital drives acceptable?

    > The 1TB GPs cause frequent command timeouts. I have one and will not
    > risk another.
    >
    > Arno

    How does one recognize command timeouts? (Also, what does GP stand for?)

  10. Re: Hard drive manufacturer recos

    Previously Ken wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously Ken wrote:

    >>> Are any of the Western Digital drives acceptable?

    >> The 1TB GPs cause frequent command timeouts. I have one and will not
    >> risk another.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > How does one recognize command timeouts? (Also, what does GP stand for?)

    WD "GP" series. The command timeouts are in the system log
    (under Linux, did not try it under Windows) and I have one
    enclosure that completely disables the disk frequently, since
    it cannot deal with these timeouts.

    Arno

  11. Re: Hard drive manufacturer recos

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Ken wrote:
    >> Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>> The 1TB GPs cause frequent command timeouts. I have one and will not
    >>> risk another.
    >>>
    >>> Arno

    >> How does one recognize command timeouts? (Also, what does GP stand for?)

    > WD "GP" series. The command timeouts are in the system log
    > (under Linux, did not try it under Windows) and I have one
    > enclosure that completely disables the disk frequently, since
    > it cannot deal with these timeouts.
    >
    > Arno

    Thanks.

  12. Re: Hard drive manufacturer recos