Virtual Server 2005/WSS/San Manager - No VDS Provider for Local Disks - Storage

This is a discussion on Virtual Server 2005/WSS/San Manager - No VDS Provider for Local Disks - Storage ; I've set up WIndows 2003 Enterprise WSS inside Virtual Server 2005 R2 using a virtual disk type of both SCSI and IDE. In both instances Storage Manager for SAN's MMC errors out with: "Unable to find Virtual Disk Service (VDS) ...

  1. Virtual Server 2005/WSS/San Manager - No VDS Provider for Local Disks

    I've set up WIndows 2003 Enterprise WSS inside Virtual Server 2005 R2
    using a virtual disk type of both SCSI and IDE. In both instances
    Storage Manager for SAN's MMC errors out with:

    "Unable to find Virtual Disk Service (VDS) or any VDS hardware
    providers
    installed on this computer. VDS and at least one VDS hardware provider
    must
    be installed for storage manager for SANs to be functional."

    I have ensured to install the SCSI Initiator 2.0 as mentioned in the
    2003 R2 Deployment guide. I have also attempted to upgrade the Basic
    disks to Dynamic disks - same VDS error. The VDS service is running.
    Diskraid.exe shows no VDS providers installed.

    I would assume that a VDS provider would be included to allow WSS to
    talk to its own local disk subsystem.

    I did have an old copy of Stringbeans iSCSI Wintarget software (which
    is integrated with WSS) sitting around and sure enough it worked like
    a charm under the same configuration. Unfortunatley the Wintarget
    software I have is Eval only.

    So what gives? Is WSS VDS not compatible with Virtual Server 2005 R2
    or am I missing something?

    Thanks much in advance!

  2. Re: Virtual Server 2005/WSS/San Manager - No VDS Provider for Local Disks

    > I would assume that a VDS provider would be included to allow WSS to
    > talk to its own local disk subsystem.

    Local disk is not on a SAN,
    why are you trying to manage it with Storage Manger for SANs ?

  3. Re: Virtual Server 2005/WSS/San Manager - No VDS Provider for LocalDisks

    On Apr 25, 1:27*am, "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]"
    wrote:
    > > I would assume that a VDS provider would be included to allow WSS to
    > > talk to its own local disk subsystem.

    > Local disk is not on a SAN,
    > why are you trying to manage it with Storage Manger for SANs ?

    I want to create an iSCSI target out of a Local Disk to share accross
    my network. Fairly basic setup really, according to MS manual VDS
    Provider for local disks should be included. In this case, from the
    VDS system the local disk is a SAN.

    I've done this with WinTarget easily ....

  4. Re: Virtual Server 2005/WSS/San Manager - No VDS Provider for Local Disks

    > I want to create an iSCSI target out of a Local Disk to share accross
    > my network.

    what iSCSI Target software are you planning of using ?

  5. RE: Virtual Server 2005/WSS/San Manager - No VDS Provider for Local Di

    My understanding is the WSS by itself doesn't have the iSCSI support for
    making a local disk an iSCSI target. Windows Unified Data Storage Server is
    the version that has the capability to allow local disks to be configured as
    iSCSI targets.

    There are VDS installs on Disk 3 of the WUDSS installation disks that when
    installed provide that capability. WSS allows you to manage a disk elsewhere
    that is designated as an iSCSI target.

    Hope this clear it up for you. We have just been testing with 2 new
    NAS/iSCSI appliances and the iSCSI target stuff is pretty slick for adding
    new disks to a machine.

    "para][ax" wrote:

    > I've set up WIndows 2003 Enterprise WSS inside Virtual Server 2005 R2
    > using a virtual disk type of both SCSI and IDE. In both instances
    > Storage Manager for SAN's MMC errors out with:
    >
    > "Unable to find Virtual Disk Service (VDS) or any VDS hardware
    > providers
    > installed on this computer. VDS and at least one VDS hardware provider
    > must
    > be installed for storage manager for SANs to be functional."
    >
    > I have ensured to install the SCSI Initiator 2.0 as mentioned in the
    > 2003 R2 Deployment guide. I have also attempted to upgrade the Basic
    > disks to Dynamic disks - same VDS error. The VDS service is running.
    > Diskraid.exe shows no VDS providers installed.
    >
    > I would assume that a VDS provider would be included to allow WSS to
    > talk to its own local disk subsystem.
    >
    > I did have an old copy of Stringbeans iSCSI Wintarget software (which
    > is integrated with WSS) sitting around and sure enough it worked like
    > a charm under the same configuration. Unfortunatley the Wintarget
    > software I have is Eval only.
    >
    > So what gives? Is WSS VDS not compatible with Virtual Server 2005 R2
    > or am I missing something?
    >
    > Thanks much in advance!

+ Reply to Thread