Can't see New Hard Drive in Disk Managment - Storage

This is a discussion on Can't see New Hard Drive in Disk Managment - Storage ; Hello all, I have a removable SATA Seriel hard drive as my second hard drive. It has been working just fine showing up as drive E. I have the Western Digital 250 Gig WD Caviar RE16. I wanted to increase ...

  1. Can't see New Hard Drive in Disk Managment

    Hello all,
    I have a removable SATA Seriel hard drive as my second hard drive. It
    has been working just fine showing up as drive E. I have the Western
    Digital 250 Gig WD Caviar RE16. I wanted to increase the storage so I
    got the Western Digital 750 Gig WD Caviar RE16. I slid the old hard
    drive out of the removable slot and slid the new one in but the computer
    does not see it. It is not in the disk manager. Drive E does not show up
    nor anything about the new 750 G drive. When I slide the old 250 G drive
    back in, it shows up and runs just fine. Any ideas on what the problem
    might be?

  2. Re: Can't see New Hard Drive in Disk Managment

    Previously ten13 wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > I have a removable SATA Seriel hard drive as my second hard drive. It
    > has been working just fine showing up as drive E. I have the Western
    > Digital 250 Gig WD Caviar RE16. I wanted to increase the storage so I
    > got the Western Digital 750 Gig WD Caviar RE16. I slid the old hard
    > drive out of the removable slot and slid the new one in but the computer
    > does not see it. It is not in the disk manager. Drive E does not show up
    > nor anything about the new 750 G drive. When I slide the old 250 G drive
    > back in, it shows up and runs just fine. Any ideas on what the problem
    > might be?

    Have you partitioned and formatted the new drive? Bare drives
    are delivered empty, i.e. without any structure on them.

    You can check wehter the drive itself shos up in the system
    component view.

    Arno

  3. Re: Can't see New Hard Drive in Disk Managment

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > ten13 wrote:

    >> I have a removable SATA Seriel hard drive as my second hard drive.
    >> It has been working just fine showing up as drive E. I have the Western
    >> Digital 250 Gig WD Caviar RE16. I wanted to increase the storage so I
    >> got the Western Digital 750 Gig WD Caviar RE16. I slid the old hard
    >> drive out of the removable slot and slid the new one in but the
    >> computer does not see it. It is not in the disk manager. Drive E
    >> does not show up nor anything about the new 750 G drive. When I
    >> slide the old 250 G drive back in, it shows up and runs just fine.
    >> Any ideas on what the problem might be?

    > Have you partitioned and formatted the new drive?
    > Bare drives are delivered empty, i.e. without any structure on them.

    Those are still seen in disk management, in fact thats where you partition and format them.

    > You can check wehter the drive itself shos up in the system component view.

    Thats where he's looking.

  4. Re: Can't see New Hard Drive in Disk Managment

    "ten13" wrote in message

    > Hello all,
    > I have a removable SATA Seriel hard drive as my second hard drive. It
    > has been working just fine showing up as drive E. I have the Western
    > Digital 250 Gig WD Caviar RE16. I wanted to increase the storage so I
    > got the Western Digital 750 Gig WD Caviar RE16. I slid the old hard
    > drive out of the removable slot and slid the new one in but the computer
    > does not see it. It is not in the disk manager. Drive E does not show up
    > nor anything about the new 750 G drive. When I slide the old 250 G drive
    > back in, it shows up and runs just fine. Any ideas on what the problem
    > might be?

    ten13:
    Although you didn't say, did you install the 750 GB HDD in a new tray/caddy
    or did you use the same tray/caddy as the 250 GB HDD? You're sure you've
    properly connected the 750 GB SATA HDD in the tray/caddy?

    If still no go, uninstall the disk from the tray/caddy and temporarily
    install it as an internal HDD in your system. Does that work, i.e., can it
    then be seen in Disk Management (that's what you meant when you wrote "disk
    manager", right?) so that you can partition/format the disk?

    Is the 750 GB HDD detected in the BIOS?

    It might also be wise to download the HDD diagnostic utility available from
    the WD site to check out the disk.
    Anna

  5. Re: Can't see New Hard Drive in Disk Managment

    "Arno ****Up" wrote in message news:67aoicF2o6q6kU2@mid.individual.net...
    > Previously ten13 wrote:
    >
    > Have you partitioned and formatted the new drive? Bare drives
    > are delivered empty, i.e. without any structure on them.
    >
    > You can check wehter the drive itself shos up in the system
    > component view.

    You are a ****ing moron, Arnie. Stop spewing your mindless comments to this NG.

  6. Re: Can't see New Hard Drive in Disk Managment

    Thanks for the reply Anna, No the 750 HDD does not show up in the BIOS.
    Also, it is the tray. I am sure that the connection is good because when
    I slide the 250 HDD back in, it shows up.

  7. Re: Can't see New Hard Drive in Disk Managment

    "ten13" wrote in message

    > Thanks for the reply Anna, No the 750 HDD does not show up in the BIOS.
    > Also, it is the tray. I am sure that the connection is good because when
    > I slide the 250 HDD back in, it shows up.

    But did you try to install it as a fixed, internal HDD in your system to one
    or another of the motherboard's SATA connectors as I suggested?

    And did you check it out with the HDD diagnostic utility available from the
    disk's manufacturer?
    Anna

  8. Re: Can't see New Hard Drive in Disk Managment

    Previously ten13 wrote:

    > Thanks for the reply Anna, No the 750 HDD does not show up in the BIOS.
    > Also, it is the tray. I am sure that the connection is good because when
    > I slide the 250 HDD back in, it shows up.

    If it does not show up in the BIOS, then something is fundamentally
    wrong. You might have chances of bypassing the BIOS, since SATA
    is hot-plug, but that is a crutch.

    Can you test the disk in a different PC?

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread