enterprise SATA drives in desktop? - Storage

This is a discussion on enterprise SATA drives in desktop? - Storage ; Rod Speed wrote in news:679hd5F2n5njlU1@mid.individual.net > Yousuf Khan wrote > > Eric Gisin wrote > > > > That's the second stupid question you've asked. > > > You are free to killfile me if you like, but I suspect ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

  1. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Rod Speed wrote in news:679hd5F2n5njlU1@mid.individual.net
    > Yousuf Khan wrote
    > > Eric Gisin wrote

    > > > That's the second stupid question you've asked.

    > > You are free to killfile me if you like, but I suspect you're simply here
    > > to get your thrills from trolling. Have you actually ever answered anyone's
    > > question, ever?

    > He does occasionally correct some gross error.

    Something the two of you have in common.
    The "occasionally", that is, then.

  2. enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Would enterprise SATA drives like Seagate Barracuda ES.2 work in a
    desktop PC? I am assuming there's no difference physically, i.e. SATA
    data and power connectors are identical between desktop and server
    environments.

    Yousuf Khan

  3. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Yousuf Khan wrote:

    > Would enterprise SATA drives like Seagate Barracuda ES.2 work in a desktop PC?

    Yep.

    > I am assuming there's no difference physically, i.e. SATA data and power connectors are identical between desktop and
    > server environments.

    Yep.

  4. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    >> Would enterprise SATA drives like Seagate Barracuda ES.2 work in a desktop PC?
    > Yep.

    What are the spec of these Seagate ES.2 drives?

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.10) Linux 2.6.25

  5. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    In article <480ed063$1@news.bnb-lp.com>, Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > Would enterprise SATA drives like Seagate Barracuda ES.2 work in a
    > desktop PC?

    No. The firmware in the drive will inspect your computer and the
    drive will refuse to spin up if it finds that it is in a desktop PC
    rather than a server.

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email.)

  6. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:
    >>> Would enterprise SATA drives like Seagate Barracuda ES.2 work in a desktop PC?

    >> Yep.

    > What are the spec of these Seagate ES.2 drives?

    The model I have in mind is a 1TB/7200rpm model.

    Yousuf Khan

  7. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Roger Blake wrote:
    > In article <480ed063$1@news.bnb-lp.com>, Yousuf Khan wrote:
    >> Would enterprise SATA drives like Seagate Barracuda ES.2 work in a
    >> desktop PC?

    > No. The firmware in the drive will inspect your computer and the
    > drive will refuse to spin up if it finds that it is in a desktop PC
    > rather than a server.

    Are you kidding?

    Yousuf Khan

  8. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    "Yousuf Khan" wrote in message news:480f49b7@news.bnb-lp.com...
    > Roger Blake wrote:
    >> In article <480ed063$1@news.bnb-lp.com>, Yousuf Khan wrote:
    >>> Would enterprise SATA drives like Seagate Barracuda ES.2 work in a
    >>> desktop PC?

    >> No. The firmware in the drive will inspect your computer and the
    >> drive will refuse to spin up if it finds that it is in a desktop PC
    >> rather than a server.

    > Are you kidding?

    That's the second stupid question you've asked.

  9. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Eric Gisin wrote:
    > That's the second stupid question you've asked.

    You are free to killfile me if you like, but I suspect you're simply
    here to get your thrills from trolling. Have you actually ever answered
    anyone's question, ever?

    Yousuf Khan

  10. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Yousuf Khan wrote in news:480f8356$1@news.bnb-lp.com
    > Eric Gisin wrote:
    > > That's the second stupid question you've asked.

    > You are free to killfile me if you like,

    > but I suspect you're simply here to get your thrills from trolling.

    And you're obviously not.

    > Have you actually ever answered anyone's question, ever?

    And that's the third one. You're on a roll, aren't you.

    > Yousuf Khan

  11. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Yousuf Khan wrote
    > Eric Gisin wrote

    >> That's the second stupid question you've asked.

    > You are free to killfile me if you like, but I suspect you're simply here to get your thrills from trolling. Have you
    > actually ever answered anyone's question, ever?

    He does occasionally correct some gross error.

  12. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 02:00:04 -0400, Yousuf Khan
    wrote:

    > Would enterprise SATA drives like Seagate Barracuda ES.2 work in a
    > desktop PC? I am assuming there's no difference physically, i.e. SATA
    > data and power connectors are identical between desktop and server
    > environments.

    Power and environmental requirements may differ.

    I installed a Seagate Barracuda ES.2 SATA ST31000340NS 1tB
    maximum operating temperature: 55C
    watts (average): typical 12.5 Operating: 8.0
    from:
    http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/data...acuda_es_2.pdf
    replacing a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3500630A ATA/100 500-gB
    maximum operating temperature: 60C
    watts (average): seek 12.6 Operating 13.0 Idle 9.3
    (7200.10 SATA units have the same power numbers)
    from:
    http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/data...da_7200_10.pdf

    For comparison:
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1 tB
    maximum operating temperature: 60C
    watts (average): Seek: 11.6 Operating: 12.0 Idle: 8.0

    The ES.2 is spected for more power than the 7200.11.

    Note that the allowed operating temperature is higher for the
    7200.10 and 7200.11 than the ES.2.

    Note also that the 8.0 watts operating seems in conflict with
    the 12.5 watts typical. Maybe "Operating" means "Idle"

    In my setup the ES.2 ran hotter than the 7200.10, so I had to
    install a fan. (The ES.2 drive has a SATA-to-PATA converter
    connected to it. This may be what makes the ES.2 drive run hotter,
    but the converter doesn't seem to be located near the hotspots.)

    > Yousuf Khan

  13. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    :
    : You are free to killfile me if you like, but I suspect you're
    : simply here to get your thrills from trolling. Have you
    : actually ever answered anyone's question, ever?
    :

    Yousuf, this asshole has been trolling Usenet for years. For quite some
    time he used to insist on top-posting, now he just trolls and insults. I
    think he may be best (bun) buddies with that other asshole and nazi troller,
    ****nut....I mean Folkert. It's just a fricken shame to see what Usenet has
    been reduced to. :-(

  14. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Gary Seven wrote:
    > Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > > Eric Gisin wrote:
    > > > That's the second stupid question you've asked.

    > > You are free to killfile me if you like, but I suspect you're
    > > simply here to get your thrills from trolling. Have you
    > > actually ever answered anyone's question, ever?
    > >

    > Yousuf, this asshole has been trolling Usenet for years. For quite some
    > time he used to insist on top-posting, now he just trolls and insults. I
    > think he may be best (bun) buddies with that other asshole and nazi troller,
    > ****nut....I mean Folkert. It's just a fricken shame to see what Usenet has
    > been reduced to. :-(

    asshole, (bun) buddie, nazi, ****.

    Yup, no further introduction needed:
    http://vzone.virgin.net/gary.seven

    Just another wannabee troll looking for bait.

    (Hi Rod. You would have been more convincing if you had included yourself as the third asshole).

  15. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Mark F wrote:
    > In my setup the ES.2 ran hotter than the 7200.10, so I had to
    > install a fan. (The ES.2 drive has a SATA-to-PATA converter
    > connected to it. This may be what makes the ES.2 drive run hotter,
    > but the converter doesn't seem to be located near the hotspots.)

    Okay, thanks for the info. The specs on Seagate's site seems to indicate
    that some ES.2 drives also come with a SAS connector. But it doesn't
    mention whether that SAS is an optional secondary interface that is
    located beside the SATA or instead of the SATA.

    Yousuf Khan

  16. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Yousuf Khan wrote
    > Mark F wrote:

    >> In my setup the ES.2 ran hotter than the 7200.10, so I had to
    >> install a fan. (The ES.2 drive has a SATA-to-PATA converter
    >> connected to it. This may be what makes the ES.2 drive run hotter,
    >> but the converter doesn't seem to be located near the hotspots.)

    > Okay, thanks for the info. The specs on Seagate's site seems to
    > indicate that some ES.2 drives also come with a SAS connector. But it doesn't mention whether that SAS is an optional
    > secondary interface that is located beside the SATA or instead of the SATA.

    The full manual for the drives should spell that out.

  17. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Rod Speed wrote in news:67euuaF2oe2b8U1@mid.individual.net
    > Yousuf Khan wrote
    > > Mark F wrote:

    > > > In my setup the ES.2 ran hotter than the 7200.10, so I had to
    > > > install a fan. (The ES.2 drive has a SATA-to-PATA converter
    > > > connected to it. This may be what makes the ES.2 drive run hotter,
    > > > but the converter doesn't seem to be located near the hotspots.)

    > > Okay, thanks for the info. The specs on Seagate's site seems to
    > > indicate that some ES.2 drives also come with a SAS connector. But it
    > > doesn't mention whether that SAS is an optional secondary interface that is
    > > located beside the SATA or instead of the SATA.

    "The Seagate® Barracuda® ES.2 drive comes with a SAS or SATA interface and provides high-capacity, 7200-RPM nearline storage for
    situations where dollars per ..."

    http://www.yourdictionary.com/or
    or¹ Definition or (ôr)
    a coordinating conjunction introducing an alternative

    http://www.yourdictionary.com/alternative
    alternative Definition al·ter·na·tive (ôl t?r'n? tiv, al-)
    adjective
    providing or being a choice between two

    http://www.yourdictionary.com/choice
    choice Definition choice (c?ho?is)
    noun
    the act of choosing; selection

    > The full manual for the drives should spell that out.

    Like that he would understand that any better.

  18. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Yousuf Khan wrote:

    > Eric Gisin wrote:
    > > That's the second stupid question you've asked.

    > You are free to killfile me if you like, but I suspect you're simply
    > here to get your thrills from trolling.

    Hello, Yousuf:

    You are quite correct, sir.

    > Have you actually ever answered anyone's question, ever?
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    Sometimes, but, he's basically a human trolling machine.

    Cordially,
    John Turco

  19. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    > Yousuf Khan wrote in news:480f8356$1@news.bnb-lp.com
    > > Eric Gisin wrote:
    > > > That's the second stupid question you've asked.

    > > You are free to killfile me if you like,

    > > but I suspect you're simply here to get your thrills from trolling.

    > And you're obviously not.

    Hello, Folkert:

    Even more obviously, nobody could ever compete with >you<, Herr Troll-Meister.

    > > Have you actually ever answered anyone's question, ever?

    > And that's the third one. You're on a roll, aren't you.

    Only three? That's not nearly as many drunks as you've "rolled" and trolled,
    Folksy. ;-)

    Cordially,
    John Turco

  20. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > Yousuf Khan wrote
    > > Eric Gisin wrote

    > >> That's the second stupid question you've asked.

    > > You are free to killfile me if you like, but I suspect you're simply here
    > > to get your thrills from trolling. Have you actually ever answered anyone's
    > > question, ever?

    > He does occasionally correct some gross error.

    Hello, Rod:

    Yet, Eric Gisin >is< a "gross error," no?

    Cordially,
    John Turco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast