enterprise SATA drives in desktop? - Storage

This is a discussion on enterprise SATA drives in desktop? - Storage ; On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:20:31 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote: > Mark F wrote: > > In my setup the ES.2 ran hotter than the 7200.10, so I had to > > install a fan. (The ES.2 drive has a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    wrote:

    > Mark F wrote:
    > > In my setup the ES.2 ran hotter than the 7200.10, so I had to
    > > install a fan. (The ES.2 drive has a SATA-to-PATA converter
    > > connected to it. This may be what makes the ES.2 drive run hotter,
    > > but the converter doesn't seem to be located near the hotspots.)

    > Okay, thanks for the info. The specs on Seagate's site seems to indicate
    > that some ES.2 drives also come with a SAS connector. But it doesn't
    > mention whether that SAS is an optional secondary interface that is
    > located beside the SATA or instead of the SATA.

    I thought, but haven't confirmed, that it the ES.2 SAS drives used a
    SATA plug compatible interface so that you could plug SATA drives
    directly into a backplane that the SAS drives plugged into, and
    therefore the controller could support both kinds. (I don't
    think that the SAS drives work with SATA controllers as a
    "transparent" fallback.)

    The connector would be a SFF 8482 as on
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Attached_SCSI ,
    but, I wasn't able to confirm this at the Seagate site.

    > Yousuf Khan

  2. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    John Turco wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Yousuf Khan wrote
    >>> Eric Gisin wrote

    >>> You are free to killfile me if you like, but I suspect
    >>> you're simply here to get your thrills from trolling. Have
    >>> you actually ever answered anyone's question, ever?

    >> He does occasionally correct some gross error.

    > Hello, Rod:

    > Yet, Eric Gisin >is< a "gross error," no?

    This is no laughing matter, boy.

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco

  3. Re: enterprise SATA drives in desktop?

    Mark F wrote in news:dif91493oherkmr2ldbmniafvqagdulolr@4ax.com
    > On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:20:31 -0400, Yousuf Khan
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Mark F wrote:
    > > > In my setup the ES.2 ran hotter than the 7200.10, so I had to
    > > > install a fan. (The ES.2 drive has a SATA-to-PATA converter
    > > > connected to it. This may be what makes the ES.2 drive run hotter,
    > > > but the converter doesn't seem to be located near the hotspots.)

    > > Okay, thanks for the info. The specs on Seagate's site seems to indicate
    > > that some ES.2 drives also come with a SAS connector. But it doesn't
    > > mention whether that SAS is an optional secondary interface that is
    > > located beside the SATA or instead of the SATA.

    > I thought, but haven't confirmed, that it the ES.2 SAS drives used a
    > SATA plug compatible interface so that you could plug SATA drives
    > directly into a backplane that the SAS drives plugged into, and
    > therefore the controller could support both kinds.

    Are you having a problem with English?
    You don't seem to make any sense.

    And what exactly is there so hard to understand on this here page
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/pro...arracuda_es.2/

    > (I don't think that the SAS drives work with SATA controllers as a
    > "transparent" fallback.)
    >
    > The connector would be a SFF 8482 as on
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Attached_SCSI ,
    > but, I wasn't able to confirm this at the Seagate site.
    >

    > > Yousuf Khan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2