XP Install with $Txf, $TxfLog, $Extend\$RmMetadata - Storage

This is a discussion on XP Install with $Txf, $TxfLog, $Extend\$RmMetadata - Storage ; I got a machine that originally had Vista on it, and now it has XP Pro on it. I ran Rootkit Revealer when I got the box and found some hidden directories that I'd like to remove, but should I? ...

  1. XP Install with $Txf, $TxfLog, $Extend\$RmMetadata

    I got a machine that originally had Vista on it, and now it has XP Pro
    on it. I ran Rootkit Revealer when I got the box and found some
    hidden directories that I'd like to remove, but should I?

    --Dale--

  2. Re: XP Install with $Txf, $TxfLog, $Extend\$RmMetadata

    These hidden directories are part of the new NTFS filesystem, and
    "Transactional" filesystem (TxF).

    TxF stores transactional data for each volume in a hidden directory on the
    volume that's named \$Ex*tend\$RmMetadata

    As you downgraded to XP, it would be logical to assume that these are not
    used, due to the fact that XP does not support transactional NTFS. However,
    how can you be sure ?

    Best thing to do is NOT to remove or touch these, to ensure your filesystem
    data will be in order.
    If you really want to get rid of them, I would do a system level back AND a
    block level backup (image) of your disk, then remove them. If anything goes
    wrong, you can restore from your backups.

    HTH,
    Edwin.

    "sengsational" wrote in message
    > I got a machine that originally had Vista on it, and now it has XP Pro
    > on it. I ran Rootkit Revealer when I got the box and found some
    > hidden directories that I'd like to remove, but should I?
    >
    > --Dale--

  3. Re: XP Install with $Txf, $TxfLog, $Extend\$RmMetadata

    Prudent advice. Thank you sir.

    On Apr 23, 4:27 am, "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]"
    wrote:
    > As you downgraded to XP, it would be logical to assume that these are not
    > used, due to the fact that XP does not support transactional NTFS. However,
    > how can you be sure ?
    >
    > Best thing to do is NOT to remove or touch these, to ensure your filesystem
    > data will be in order.
    > If you really want to get rid of them, I would do a system level back AND a
    > block level backup (image) of your disk, then remove them. If anything goes
    > wrong, you can restore from your backups.
    >
    > "sengsational" wrote in message
    > > I got a machine that originally had Vista on it, and now it has XP Pro
    > > on it. I ran Rootkit Revealer when I got the box and found some
    > > hidden directories that I'd like to remove, but should I?

+ Reply to Thread