Esata drive Read-Only - Storage

This is a discussion on Esata drive Read-Only - Storage ; I'm trying to help out a friend who has a PowerPC G5 with onboard sata. She bbought a WD Hard-drive and a Thermaltake External Esata case. When she connects the drive, she get and Icon on her desktop which is ...

  1. Esata drive Read-Only

    I'm trying to help out a friend who has a PowerPC G5 with onboard sata. She
    bbought a WD Hard-drive and a Thermaltake External Esata case. When she
    connects the drive, she get and Icon on her desktop which is good as the OS
    sees the drive. But the bad part is it shows up as Read-Only. How do I
    fix this for her? Thanks for your help.

    --
    DWW

  2. Re: Esata drive Read-Only

    In article <2I6dnXy8qoCtk5PVnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@vianet>, dww
    wrote:

    > I'm trying to help out a friend who has a PowerPC G5 with onboard sata. She
    > bbought a WD Hard-drive and a Thermaltake External Esata case. When she
    > connects the drive, she get and Icon on her desktop which is good as the OS
    > sees the drive. But the bad part is it shows up as Read-Only. How do I
    > fix this for her? Thanks for your help.

    it's probably formatted as ntfs, which the mac sees as read only.

    reformat it as mac os extended (hfs+) or fat32.

  3. Re: Esata drive Read-Only

    nospam wrote:

    > In article <2I6dnXy8qoCtk5PVnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@vianet>, dww
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to help out a friend who has a PowerPC G5 with onboard sata.
    >> She
    >> bbought a WD Hard-drive and a Thermaltake External Esata case. When she
    >> connects the drive, she get and Icon on her desktop which is good as the
    >> OS
    >> sees the drive. But the bad part is it shows up as Read-Only. How do I
    >> fix this for her? Thanks for your help.

    > it's probably formatted as ntfs, which the mac sees as read only.
    >
    > reformat it as mac os extended (hfs+) or fat32.

    I'll give that a try.

    --
    DWW

  4. Re: Esata drive Read-Only

    In article ,
    dww wrote:

    > nospam wrote:
    >
    > > In article <2I6dnXy8qoCtk5PVnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@vianet>, dww
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm trying to help out a friend who has a PowerPC G5 with onboard sata.
    > >> She
    > >> bbought a WD Hard-drive and a Thermaltake External Esata case. When she
    > >> connects the drive, she get and Icon on her desktop which is good as the
    > >> OS
    > >> sees the drive. But the bad part is it shows up as Read-Only. How do I
    > >> fix this for her? Thanks for your help.

    > > it's probably formatted as ntfs, which the mac sees as read only.
    > >
    > > reformat it as mac os extended (hfs+) or fat32.

    > I'll give that a try.
    >
    > --
    > DWW

    There is a Mac NTFS driver called Paragon NTFS, but if you're using the
    drive only on a Mac, you might as well reformat it.

+ Reply to Thread