VxVM objects under change of disk device name - Storage

This is a discussion on VxVM objects under change of disk device name - Storage ; A quick one, albeit likely to have been flogged to death in this group: If the the device file of a disk change as result of access through a new HBA, relocation to a new SAN or whatever, what would ...

  1. VxVM objects under change of disk device name

    A quick one, albeit likely to have been flogged to death in this
    group:

    If the the device file of a disk change as result of access through a
    new HBA, relocation to a new SAN or whatever, what would happen to the
    VxVM objects configured earlier on the disk?

    For example, suppose the device name of a disk changes from c4t5d6 to
    c7t8d9. Are we still allowed to access the VxVM disk, volumes and
    friends that were constructed earlier on the same disk using the name
    c4t5d6?

  2. Re: VxVM objects under change of disk device name

    In comp.unix.solaris Sunny Suen wrote:
    > A quick one, albeit likely to have been flogged to death in this
    > group:
    >
    > If the the device file of a disk change as result of access through a
    > new HBA, relocation to a new SAN or whatever, what would happen to the
    > VxVM objects configured earlier on the disk?

    Nothing. VxVM tracks disks via a unique identifier written in the
    private region. The disks can be moved to any new location, but as long
    as it is still visible, VxVM will import it and use it correctly.

    > For example, suppose the device name of a disk changes from c4t5d6 to
    > c7t8d9. Are we still allowed to access the VxVM disk, volumes and
    > friends that were constructed earlier on the same disk using the name
    > c4t5d6?

    Yes.

    --
    Darren Dunham ddunham@taos.com