iSCSI, Basic/Dynamic Disks - Target & Initiator - Storage

This is a discussion on iSCSI, Basic/Dynamic Disks - Target & Initiator - Storage ; So I am exploring the capabilities of the NAS/iSCSI system and have some queries that perhaps others can shed some light on. 1) I have seen references to NOT using Dynamic disks on a server that is using Initiator (vs ...

  1. iSCSI, Basic/Dynamic Disks - Target & Initiator

    So I am exploring the capabilities of the NAS/iSCSI system and have
    some queries that perhaps others can shed some light on.

    1) I have seen references to NOT using Dynamic disks on a server that
    is using Initiator (vs the server with iSCSI targets). If so then how
    does one increase the size of the disks as needed? I am used to from a
    FC-SAN perspective to add a new disk to the server and extend the
    volume as needed on the server.

    2) I would like to 'see' the disks that are attached to the WUDSS
    server at the hardware level rather than the OS level - is this only
    possible with a VDS Hardware Provider that would be provided by the
    manufacturer of the RAID card?

    3) Why can the Storage Mgr For SAN on WUDSS only see 2 Basic Volumes
    but multiple Dynamic volumes? If I only configure the Volume Sets as
    Basic then only 2 drives show up but if configured as Dynamice then
    many drives are exposed and available to create LUN's on.

    4) How can I exclude the OS System drive from being included in the
    Stg Mgr for SAN Subsystems and Drives? It is on a separate internal
    card whereas the storage I want to have available for the network is
    all on a separate PCI RAID card but Drive C: is always figured into
    available LUN storage.

    Thanks...

  2. Re: iSCSI, Basic/Dynamic Disks - Target & Initiator

    To answer the first two,

    1. use diskpart. It doesn't have to be a dynamic disk, you can expand a
    basic disk. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590/en-us

    2. Many controllers contain a virtualization layer that carves up whatever
    is beneath and presents it to the server as LUNs. To see anything beyond
    what is presented to the server as a LUN you would need a utility from the
    vendor.

    wrote in message
    > So I am exploring the capabilities of the NAS/iSCSI system and have
    > some queries that perhaps others can shed some light on.
    >
    > 1) I have seen references to NOT using Dynamic disks on a server that
    > is using Initiator (vs the server with iSCSI targets). If so then how
    > does one increase the size of the disks as needed? I am used to from a
    > FC-SAN perspective to add a new disk to the server and extend the
    > volume as needed on the server.
    >
    > 2) I would like to 'see' the disks that are attached to the WUDSS
    > server at the hardware level rather than the OS level - is this only
    > possible with a VDS Hardware Provider that would be provided by the
    > manufacturer of the RAID card?
    >
    > 3) Why can the Storage Mgr For SAN on WUDSS only see 2 Basic Volumes
    > but multiple Dynamic volumes? If I only configure the Volume Sets as
    > Basic then only 2 drives show up but if configured as Dynamice then
    > many drives are exposed and available to create LUN's on.
    >
    > 4) How can I exclude the OS System drive from being included in the
    > Stg Mgr for SAN Subsystems and Drives? It is on a separate internal
    > card whereas the storage I want to have available for the network is
    > all on a separate PCI RAID card but Drive C: is always figured into
    > available LUN storage.
    >
    > Thanks...

  3. Re: iSCSI, Basic/Dynamic Disks - Target & Initiator

    Thank you for the reply, John..... I hope someone maybe able to answer
    y 3rd question as the dynamic disks are the only ones that I can then
    see multiple disks. I am a bit concerned about utilizing a huge
    partition to hold the LUN's created in the for servers.

    On Apr 8, 1:08*am, "John Fullbright"
    wrote:
    > To answer the first two,
    >
    > 1. *use diskpart. *It doesn't have to be a dynamic disk, you can expand a
    > basic disk. *http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590/en-us
    >
    > 2. *Many controllers contain a virtualization layer that carves up whatever
    > is beneath and presents it to the server as LUNs. *To see anything beyond
    > what is presented to the server as a LUN you would need a utility from the
    > vendor.

  4. Re: iSCSI, Basic/Dynamic Disks - Target & Initiator

    > So I am exploring the capabilities of the NAS/iSCSI system and have
    > some queries that perhaps others can shed some light on.
    >
    > 1) I have seen references to NOT using Dynamic disks on a server that
    > is using Initiator (vs the server with iSCSI targets). If so then how
    > does one increase the size of the disks as needed? I am used to from a
    > FC-SAN perspective to add a new disk to the server and extend the
    > volume as needed on the server.

    The reason is that the initiator is loading after the dynamic disk drivers,
    so when the dynamic disk drivers are loading there is not connectivity yet
    to your iSCSI storage. A work around is available to get iSCSI HBA's who
    have a built in Initiator which load earlier in the boot process. Contact
    your storage vendor what they would recommend.

    The second part of that question: you can "grow" your disk on the storage
    end, then extend the partition. Even when it is a basic disk, you do not
    need dynamic disks to grow partitions and NTFS file systems, this is
    perfecty OK on a basic disk.

+ Reply to Thread