Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives - Storage

This is a discussion on Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives - Storage ; Rod Speed wrote: > > Eric Gisin wrote > > John Turco wrote > >> Eric Gisin wrote > > >>>> Oh, I was already aware of "wear leveling," but, didn't know about that "2 million writes" stuff. > > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > Eric Gisin wrote
    > > John Turco wrote
    > >> Eric Gisin wrote

    > >> No "paranoia" involved, wise guy.

    > >> Besides, if the Windows "page file" is enabled, even 2,000,000 write cycles will be used up, pretty quickly -- wear
    > >> leveling, or not.

    > > Raving Lunatic.

    > Easy to claim, hell of a lot harder to actually substantiate that claim.
    >
    > > Page file I/O is *much* less than your total I/O.

    > What matters is the write I/O. Your claim is just plain wrong with many Win systems.
    >
    > > Get some RAM if not.

    > You still get page file write I/O even with the maximum ram the system can handle.

    Hello, Rod:

    Thank you, for putting Eric "Clueless Canuck" Gisen, in his place. ;-)

    Cordially,
    John Turco

  2. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    Tim_Mac wrote:

    > fact is... flash memory has been used successfully for a long time
    > before it's current mainstream introduction. but it is new to a lot
    > of people who don't trust it, which is also understandable. if you
    > are a skeptic, then wait another 5 years until you're comfortable with
    > it. in the meantime, let the early adopters prove you right or wrong,
    > either way they're doing you a favour

    Hello, Tim:

    Sound advice, indeed! I, myself, was only advocating caution, during
    my prior responses in this thread.

    Cordially,
    John Turco

  3. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    > John Turco wrote in news:48080A66.F79460DA@concentric.net
    > > Eric Gisin wrote:

    > > > If you knew about wear leveling all along, why do continue to post
    > > > your paranoid claim about flash memory "wearing out"?

    > > Hello, Eric:
    > >
    > > No "paranoia" involved, wise guy. Besides, if the Windows "page file"
    > > is enabled, even 2,000,000 write cycles will be used up, pretty quickly --

    > You call JW a liar, Turco?

    Hello, Folkert:

    No...I'm calling >you< a troller, instead.

    Cordially,
    John Turco

  4. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    John Turco wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Eric Gisin wrote
    >>> John Turco wrote

    >>> Raving Lunatic.

    >> Easy to claim, hell of a lot harder to actually substantiate that claim.

    >>> Page file I/O is *much* less than your total I/O.

    >> What matters is the write I/O. Your claim is just plain wrong with many Win systems.

    >>> Get some RAM if not.

    >> You still get page file write I/O even with the maximum ram the system can handle.

    > Hello, Rod:

    > Thank you, for putting Eric "Clueless Canuck" Gisen, in his place. ;-)

    No problem, I enjoyed it, as always |-)

  5. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    John Turco wrote in news:480D6088.38EBF64A@concentric.net
    > Folkert Rienstra wrote:
    > > John Turco wrote in news:48080A66.F79460DA@concentric.net

    > > > Hello, Eric:
    > > >
    > > > No "paranoia" involved, wise guy. Besides, if the Windows "page file"
    > > > is enabled, even 2,000,000 write cycles will be used up, pretty quickly --

    > > You call JW a liar, Turco?

    You mean:
    , don't you, Turco.

    > Hello, Folkert:
    >
    > No...I'm calling >you< a troller, instead.

    Right, it was me and just my sheer presence here that compelled
    you to make your stupid statements. I can see how you feel trolled
    by that and make you babble.

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco

  6. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    John Turco wrote in news:480D6083.6B327C68@concentric.net
    > Tim_Mac wrote:
    > >
    > > fact is... flash memory has been used successfully for a long time
    > > before it's current mainstream introduction. but it is new to a lot
    > > of people who don't trust it, which is also understandable. if you
    > > are a skeptic, then wait another 5 years until you're comfortable with
    > > it. in the meantime, let the early adopters prove you right or wrong,
    > > either way they're doing you a favour

    > Hello, Tim:
    >
    > Sound advice, indeed!

    > I, *myself*, was only advocating caution, during my prior responses in
    > this thread.

    Yes, Turco, you yourself, made a complete ass of you, yourself.

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco

  7. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    Rod Speed wrote in news:6756rnF2l213cU1@mid.individual.net
    > John Turco wrote
    > > Rod Speed wrote
    > > > Eric Gisin wrote

    > > > Easy to claim, hell of a lot harder to actually substantiate that claim.

    > > > What matters is the write I/O. Your claim is just plain wrong with many
    > > > Win systems.

    > > > You still get page file write I/O even with the maximum ram the system
    > > > can handle.

    Sure you do, when it 's switched off.

    > > Hello, Rod:

    > > Thank you, for putting Eric "Clueless Canuck" Gisen, in his place. ;-)

    Yeah, pity you're too clueless to do it yourself, you big hero.

    > No problem, I enjoyed it, as always |-)

    Troll and it's little troll helper.
    Aren't they a nice pair.
    Watt and half watt.

  8. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    Previously Tim_Mac wrote:
    > fact is... flash memory has been used successfully for a long time
    > before it's current mainstream introduction. but it is new to a lot
    > of people who don't trust it, which is also understandable. if you
    > are a skeptic, then wait another 5 years until you're comfortable with
    > it. in the meantime, let the early adopters prove you right or wrong,
    > either way they're doing you a favour

    Indeed. And if you need to use flash, have a very close
    look at the data of the specific product you consider.
    There is still older, less durable flash on the market and
    nobody published their load-leveling algorithms, so I am
    distrustful of them. And the distinction between SLC and MLS
    is still there, with the first being a lot more durable and
    more expensive, and the second being in a lot of cheap
    products.

    Paging/swapping on flash is not a good idea in any
    critical system, but critical systems will not use an OS
    that needs it anyways. In non-critical systems, experiment
    away.

    Arno

  9. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > John Turco wrote

    > > Thank you, for putting Eric "Clueless Canuck" Gisen, in his place. ;-)

    > No problem, I enjoyed it, as always |-)

    Hello, Rod:

    I think that this newsgroup's resident "dour Dutchman" could use some of
    your unique "Aussie persuasion," as well.

    Cordially,
    John Turco

    PS: I'd mispelled "Gisin," before. :-J

  10. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    > Rod Speed wrote in news:6756rnF2l213cU1@mid.individual.net
    > > John Turco wrote
    > > > Rod Speed wrote

    > > > Hello, Rod:

    > > > Thank you, for putting Eric "Clueless Canuck" Gisen, in his place. ;-)

    > Yeah, pity you're too clueless to do it yourself, you big hero.

    Hello, Folkert:

    Gisin's "place" is in the outhouse, just as yours is.

    > > No problem, I enjoyed it, as always |-)

    > Troll and it's little troll helper.
    > Aren't they a nice pair.
    > Watt and half watt.

    Rather, that should be, "wit(less) and half-wit" -- a perfect description
    of the Rienstra/Gisin "dynamic duo" and their torpid trolls! :-P

    Cordially,
    John Turco

  11. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    John Turco wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> John Turco wrote

    >>> Thank you, for putting Eric "Clueless Canuck" Gisen, in his place.
    >>> ;-)

    >> No problem, I enjoyed it, as always |-)

    > Hello, Rod:

    > I think that this newsgroup's resident "dour Dutchman" could
    > use some of your unique "Aussie persuasion," as well.

    I'm more into a bullet in the back of the neck
    and send the bill for the bullet to the relos.

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco

    > PS: I'd mispelled "Gisin," before. :-J

    Thats what happens when you hit the turps as enthusiastically as you clearly have.

    A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself.

  12. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    Rod Speed wrote in news:67k2q6F2ofl1sU1@mid.individual.net
    > John Turco wrote
    > > Rod Speed wrote
    > > > John Turco wrote

    > > > No problem, I enjoyed it, as always |-)

    > > Hello, Rod:

    > > I think that this newsgroup's resident "dour Dutchman" could
    > > use some of your unique "Aussie persuasion," as well.

    > I'm more into a bullet in the back of the neck
    > and send the bill for the bullet to the relos.

    So where can we send your bill to then, Rod?

    > > Cordially,
    > > John Turco

    > > PS: I'd mispelled "Gisin," before. :-J

    > Thats what happens when you hit the turps as enthusiastically as you clearly
    > have.

    > A Jap would at least have the decency to

    > disembowel

    Ehrm, what's the point when you're already *gutless*, like Turco boy here.

    > itself.

  13. Re: Quietness of 2.5" vs. 1.8" Notebook Drives

    Squeeze wrote:

    > Rod Speed wrote in news:67k2q6F2ofl1sU1@mid.individual.net
    > > John Turco wrote

    > > > I think that this newsgroup's resident "dour Dutchman" could
    > > > use some of your unique "Aussie persuasion," as well.

    > > I'm more into a bullet in the back of the neck
    > > and send the bill for the bullet to the relos.

    > So where can we send your bill to then, Rod?
    >

    > > > PS: I'd mispelled "Gisin," before. :-J

    > > Thats what happens when you hit the turps as enthusiastically as you clearly
    > > have.

    > > A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel
    > > itself.

    > Ehrm, what's the point when you're already *gutless*, like Turco boy here.

    Hello, Folkert:

    Pathetic, truly.

    Cordially,
    John Turco