CIFS authentication on FAS2050 and LDAP authoriztion doubt process - Storage

This is a discussion on CIFS authentication on FAS2050 and LDAP authoriztion doubt process - Storage ; I'm newbie in OnTAPdata ( FAS 2050 ) environment , now I have confuse about configuration and authentication method that use in this. So my requirement is Windows client access to CIFS on filer ( FAS2050 ) and filer query ...

  1. CIFS authentication on FAS2050 and LDAP authoriztion doubt process

    I'm newbie in OnTAPdata ( FAS 2050 ) environment , now I have confuse
    about configuration and authentication method that use in this.

    So my requirement is

    Windows client access to CIFS on filer ( FAS2050 ) and filer query
    OpenLDAP for authorization information.

    Can i do this without ActiveDirectory ? , i seen some document
    ( "integration of a NetApp Storage System with a Unix Based LDAP
    server" ) does not require any AD. but in many of documents guide
    they said If i want to use CIFS disk context i'm need AD to
    complete this , anyone who can suggest this ?

    thank you

    ( sorry for my bad english )

  2. Re: CIFS authentication on FAS2050 and LDAP authoriztion doubt process

    On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 02:09:11 -0700 (PDT), udomsak
    wrote:

    >I'm newbie in OnTAPdata ( FAS 2050 ) environment , now I have confuse
    >about configuration and authentication method that use in this.
    >
    >So my requirement is
    >
    > Windows client access to CIFS on filer ( FAS2050 ) and filer query
    >OpenLDAP for authorization information.
    >
    >Can i do this without ActiveDirectory ? , i seen some document
    >( "integration of a NetApp Storage System with a Unix Based LDAP
    >server" ) does not require any AD. but in many of documents guide
    >they said If i want to use CIFS disk context i'm need AD to
    >complete this , anyone who can suggest this ?
    >

    >thank you
    >
    >( sorry for my bad english )

    CIFS means Windows and Windows means AD, or at the very least Samba.
    So whatever mechanism you use to validate/authenticate Windows users
    is needed for Ontap as well.

    Ontap can utilize the following authentication mechanisms in
    conjunction; NIS, files, LDAP, and AD.

    So determine what you use for Windows users and setup the same
    authentication on the filer.

    Does that help?

    ~F

  3. Re: CIFS authentication on FAS2050 and LDAP authoriztion doubtprocess

    On Apr 8, 8:23 am, Faeandar wrote:
    > On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 02:09:11 -0700 (PDT), udomsak
    >
    > wrote:
    > >I'm newbie in OnTAPdata ( FAS 2050 ) environment , now I have confuse
    > >about configuration and authentication method that use in this.

    > >So my requirement is

    > > Windows client access to CIFS on filer ( FAS2050 ) and filer query
    > >OpenLDAP for authorization information.

    > >Can i do this without ActiveDirectory ? , i seen some document
    > >( "integration of a NetApp Storage System with a Unix Based LDAP
    > >server" ) does not require any AD. but in many of documents guide
    > >they said If i want to use CIFS disk context i'm need AD to
    > >complete this , anyone who can suggest this ?

    > >thank you

    > >( sorry for my bad english )

    > CIFS means Windows and Windows means AD, or at the very least Samba.
    > So whatever mechanism you use to validate/authenticate Windows users
    > is needed for Ontap as well.
    >
    > Ontap can utilize the following authentication mechanisms in
    > conjunction; NIS, files, LDAP, and AD.
    >
    > So determine what you use for Windows users and setup the same
    > authentication on the filer.
    >
    > Does that help?
    >
    > ~F

    exactly , we implement new system with OpenLDAP for keeping user disk-
    profile as userLoginId,Password,GroupidNumber, etc.
    and place Ontap in middle as below

    [ client ] ------> FAS2050 ---> [ OpenLDAP ]

    auth (req disk ) ---> FAS2050 --> (verify and authorization)

    In otherhand we need to config filer as CIFS to support Windows
    client ( it's possible ? ) , I saw in configuration wizard that say
    about support authentication type such as WorkGroup , NTLM (Domain
    system ? ) . So but as i read document above they do not require
    AD for complete this action ( it's true? ) , so just edit 'nsswitch'
    file to support this operation config that enough , that make me
    confuse about
    authentication method in filer

    Also, an engineer who setting new filer they say Ontap support only
    'Plain text password and Crypt password type ' to communicate with
    it's true ?

    So , now i have new solution config SAMBA PDC + OpenLDAP to solving ,
    It's possible if i don't want SAMBA PDC to support CIFS authen ?

    thank you for your advance :-)

+ Reply to Thread