Recovering ownerships and permissions after migration - Storage

This is a discussion on Recovering ownerships and permissions after migration - Storage ; Hi, Does anyone know if there is a utility or script that would go through my files and directories (after they were migrated from one partition to another) and assign them the ownerships and permissions as intended by Windows? I ...

  1. Recovering ownerships and permissions after migration

    Hi,

    Does anyone know if there is a utility or script
    that would go through my files and directories
    (after they were migrated from one partition to
    another) and assign them the ownerships and
    permissions as intended by Windows? I used a
    "transfering" OS to copy the data from the old
    partition (drive) to the new one, and the
    ownerships/permissons got lost (shows in
    Cygwin as 4294967295/4294967295 [all 1's]),
    but the "transferred" OS boots and runs fine,
    probably because 4294967295 means owned by
    or usable by everyone.

    Worse come to worst, I go through the file
    system manually to fix things.

    Thanks for hep and advice.

    --
    Keep it brief: http://www2.paypc.com/mailrules/

  2. Re: Recovering ownerships and permissions after migration

    Previously Peter Lu wrote:
    > Hi,

    > Does anyone know if there is a utility or script
    > that would go through my files and directories
    > (after they were migrated from one partition to
    > another) and assign them the ownerships and
    > permissions as intended by Windows? I used a
    > "transfering" OS to copy the data from the old
    > partition (drive) to the new one, and the
    > ownerships/permissons got lost (shows in
    > Cygwin as 4294967295/4294967295 [all 1's]),
    > but the "transferred" OS boots and runs fine,
    > probably because 4294967295 means owned by
    > or usable by everyone.

    > Worse come to worst, I go through the file
    > system manually to fix things.

    > Thanks for hep and advice.

    I think this cannot be done automatically, since the
    permission information is just not there in the copy.

    Arno

  3. Re: Recovering ownerships and permissions after migration

    Peter Lu wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know if there is a utility or script
    > that would go through my files and directories
    > (after they were migrated from one partition to
    > another) and assign them the ownerships and
    > permissions as intended by Windows? I used a
    > "transfering" OS to copy the data from the old
    > partition (drive) to the new one, and the
    > ownerships/permissons got lost (shows in
    > Cygwin as 4294967295/4294967295 [all 1's]),
    > but the "transferred" OS boots and runs fine,
    > probably because 4294967295 means owned by
    > or usable by everyone.
    >
    > Worse come to worst, I go through the file
    > system manually to fix things.
    >
    > Thanks for hep and advice.

    Top directory, "Properties", "Security" tab, "Addvanced" button",
    "owner" tab, and don't forget the checkbox at the bottom to change
    obwer ship of everything in the subtree. You may also need to play with
    the "Effective permissions" tab to give yourself the right to grap
    ownership.

  4. Re: Recovering ownerships and permissions after migration

    In article <65qnp6F2h3v3tU1@mid.individual.net>,
    Arno Wagner wrote:

    >I think this cannot be done automatically, since the
    >permission information is just not there in the copy.
    >
    >Arno

    Thanks. I did a Web search and found:

    http://www.analogduck.com/main/subinacl

    Works pretty well, with the /playfile mode. There was a small
    snag with the .txt file that is created, which had a few bad
    entries that caused play-back to fail. With some hand-editting
    and aid of a custom C-program to massage things, the .txt file
    could be effectively cleaned up to be played back properly.

    All is well now.
    --
    Keep it brief: http://www2.paypc.com/mailrules/

+ Reply to Thread