changing disk size in RAID 5 - Storage

This is a discussion on changing disk size in RAID 5 - Storage ; Hi, At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5 array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one. Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one ...

  1. changing disk size in RAID 5

    Hi,

    At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
    array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.

    Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
    My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
    just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
    disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?

    Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
    5?

    The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
    I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when we create
    the array, or am I wrong?

    Thanks for your help

    Roberto Morales

  2. Re: changing disk size in RAID 5

    on the 3/04/08 18:04 morales wrote the following:
    > Hi,
    >
    > At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
    > array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.
    >
    > Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
    > My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
    > just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
    > disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?
    >
    > Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
    > 5?
    >
    > The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
    > I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when we create
    > the array, or am I wrong?

    Theoretically, you could add a bigger disk and the RAID controller will use
    only as much space as there's on the smallest disk of the RAID aggregate -
    36.4 Gb out of 72 or 142 in your case. That should be true not only when
    creating the RAID, but also when replacing a disk. I came across such a
    situation a long time ago and it just worked - but that was not with HP
    gears, and it was no critical data, so I just tried.

    If critical indeed and messing up is not an option, you might want to ask HP
    before trying, after all support is here for that :-)

    Fx

    --
    Having been erased,
    The document you're seeking

  3. Re: changing disk size in RAID 5

    morales wrote in news:252383f2-5d66-4c7b-be80-
    5df764dc95ea@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi,
    >
    > At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
    > array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.
    >
    > Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
    > My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
    > just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
    > disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?
    >
    > Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
    > 5?
    >
    > The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
    > I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when we create
    > the array, or am I wrong?
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Roberto Morales

    All recent RAID controllers that I've seen allow you to put in any disk
    that is at least as large as the one you are replacing. Try reading the
    documentation for the RAID controller or calling HP.

    A L B E R T A Alfred Falk falk@arc.ab.ca
    R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
    C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
    http://outside.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/

  4. Re: changing disk size in RAID 5

    On Apr 3, 9:55*am, "fx [François-Xavier Peretmere]"
    wrote:
    > on the 3/04/08 18:04 *morales wrote the following:
    >

    > > Hi,

    > > At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
    > > array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.

    > > Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
    > > My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
    > > just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
    > > disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?

    > > Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
    > > 5?

    > > The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
    > > I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when *we create
    > > the array, or am I wrong?

    > Theoretically, you could add a bigger disk and the RAID controller will use
    > only as much space as there's on the smallest disk of the RAID aggregate -
    > 36.4 Gb out of 72 or 142 in your case. That should be true not only when
    > creating the RAID, but also when replacing a disk. I came across such a
    > situation a long time ago and it just worked - but that was not with HP
    > gears, and it was no critical data, so I just tried.
    >
    > If critical indeed and messing up is not an option, you might want to ask HP
    > before trying, after all support is here for that :-)
    >
    > Fx

    Unfortunately I had made 5 phone calls to HP MExico and I just receive
    must of the times the automatic voice and an infinite options that
    finally no one work to me; later if I am lucky a human being answer me
    and tell that I need to dial another phone number or wait in line
    until they cut they call!! Just because the server is not in warranty
    or I do not have a contract for tech support.

    Anyway, thank you Fx and Alfred Falk for your info.

    Saludos desde Mexico
    Morales

  5. Re: changing disk size in RAID 5

    morales wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
    > array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.
    >
    > Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
    > My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
    > just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
    > disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?

    It works fine, I've done it many times on HP systems.

  6. Re: changing disk size in RAID 5

    On Apr 3, 9:04*pm, morales wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
    > array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.
    >
    > Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
    > My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
    > just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
    > disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?
    >
    > Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
    > 5?
    >
    > The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
    > I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when *we create
    > the array, or am I wrong?
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Roberto Morales

    I think only 36.4 GB of the disk will be utilised, the rest of the
    space not used.

    Jack.
    http://programmingsite.googlepages.com

  7. Re: changing disk size in RAID 5

    Jack.Thomson.v3@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Apr 3, 9:04?pm, morales wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
    >> array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.
    >>
    >> Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
    >> My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
    >> just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
    >> disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?
    >>
    >> Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
    >> 5?
    >>
    >> The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
    >> I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when ?we create
    >> the array, or am I wrong?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help
    >>
    >> Roberto Morales

    > I think only 36.4 GB of the disk will be utilised, the rest of the
    > space not used.

    correct. This leftover space is still usable if you create more logical
    drives in the raid controller BIOS or with the ACU.

  8. Re: changing disk size in RAID 5

    On Apr 9, 9:12*am, Cydrome Leader wrote:
    > Jack.Thomson...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > On Apr 3, 9:04?pm, morales wrote:
    > >> Hi,

    > >> At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
    > >> array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.

    > >> Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
    > >> My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
    > >> just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
    > >> disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?

    > >> Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
    > >> 5?

    > >> The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
    > >> I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when ?we create
    > >> the array, or am I wrong?

    > >> Thanks for your help

    > >> Roberto Morales

    > > I think only 36.4 GB of the disk will be utilised, the rest of the
    > > space not used.

    > correct. This leftover space is still usable if you create more logical
    > drives in the raid controller BIOS or with the ACU.

    THANKS to "clear" my mind. We are going to buy the Disk and I will
    inform you the results.
    thanks again

    Roberto Morales
    Mexico

  9. Re: changing disk size in RAID 5

    Hello...

    Very interested to hear the results...how's it going?

    Thanks,
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread