DoD Harddrive Secure Erase Wipe - Storage

This is a discussion on DoD Harddrive Secure Erase Wipe - Storage ; DoD Harddrive Secure Erase Wipe I have a project which I need to DoD harddrives for the company. I have large raid-scsi enclosure which I can use. I have access Quad/Octa Xeon P4 servers with 3 dual channel LVE/SE ultra ...

  1. DoD Harddrive Secure Erase Wipe

    DoD Harddrive Secure Erase Wipe

    I have a project which I need to DoD harddrives for the company. I
    have large raid-scsi enclosure which I can use.

    I have access Quad/Octa Xeon P4 servers with 3 dual channel LVE/SE
    ultra scsi 160 cards. With these, I would be able to drive 4 x 14 scsi
    drive (IBM EXP300 / 3531-1RU) units.

    What are my options?

    I was thinking about doing following.

    1. for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7; do time dd /dev/random of=/dev/sda
    bs=1048576; done

    Use the random bits into drive 7 times.
    I think with 14 x 36GB scsi in raid5 setup would take approximately
    18 x 7pass = 5 days.
    This is pretty bad.

    2. I could setup stripped version of gentoo with proper raid
    controller driver(here IBM ServeRaid 4Mx and run DBAN from boot drive.

    I've got a question, does anyone have working knowledge of DoD5200.28-
    STD & DoD5200.22-M? I need to know how it's supposed to work, then I
    could just write simple c program to erase drive instead of relying on
    other tools for speed.
    I need fastest solution available.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: DoD Harddrive Secure Erase Wipe

    I would buy a small package which can do that

    google it, and you will probably find loads of utilities which are "DoD
    Compliant"

    Rgds,
    Edwin.

    "oktokie" wrote in message
    > DoD Harddrive Secure Erase Wipe
    >
    > I have a project which I need to DoD harddrives for the company. I
    > have large raid-scsi enclosure which I can use.
    >
    > I have access Quad/Octa Xeon P4 servers with 3 dual channel LVE/SE
    > ultra scsi 160 cards. With these, I would be able to drive 4 x 14 scsi
    > drive (IBM EXP300 / 3531-1RU) units.
    >
    > What are my options?
    >
    > I was thinking about doing following.
    >
    > 1. for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7; do time dd /dev/random of=/dev/sda
    > bs=1048576; done
    >
    > Use the random bits into drive 7 times.
    > I think with 14 x 36GB scsi in raid5 setup would take approximately
    > 18 x 7pass = 5 days.
    > This is pretty bad.
    >
    > 2. I could setup stripped version of gentoo with proper raid
    > controller driver(here IBM ServeRaid 4Mx and run DBAN from boot drive.
    >
    > I've got a question, does anyone have working knowledge of DoD5200.28-
    > STD & DoD5200.22-M? I need to know how it's supposed to work, then I
    > could just write simple c program to erase drive instead of relying on
    > other tools for speed.
    > I need fastest solution available.
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: DoD Harddrive Secure Erase Wipe

    SDelete implements the Department of Defense clearing and sanitizing
    standard DOD 5220.22-M, and it's free.

    John

    "oktokie" wrote in message
    > DoD Harddrive Secure Erase Wipe
    >
    > I have a project which I need to DoD harddrives for the company. I
    > have large raid-scsi enclosure which I can use.
    >
    > I have access Quad/Octa Xeon P4 servers with 3 dual channel LVE/SE
    > ultra scsi 160 cards. With these, I would be able to drive 4 x 14 scsi
    > drive (IBM EXP300 / 3531-1RU) units.
    >
    > What are my options?
    >
    > I was thinking about doing following.
    >
    > 1. for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7; do time dd /dev/random of=/dev/sda
    > bs=1048576; done
    >
    > Use the random bits into drive 7 times.
    > I think with 14 x 36GB scsi in raid5 setup would take approximately
    > 18 x 7pass = 5 days.
    > This is pretty bad.
    >
    > 2. I could setup stripped version of gentoo with proper raid
    > controller driver(here IBM ServeRaid 4Mx and run DBAN from boot drive.
    >
    > I've got a question, does anyone have working knowledge of DoD5200.28-
    > STD & DoD5200.22-M? I need to know how it's supposed to work, then I
    > could just write simple c program to erase drive instead of relying on
    > other tools for speed.
    > I need fastest solution available.
    >
    > Thanks.

  4. Re: DoD Harddrive Secure Erase Wipe

    If you're looking for speed, don't configure them RAID 5. Just do RAID 0.
    What's the point of parity on drives that you're clearing anyway?

    "oktokie" wrote in message
    > DoD Harddrive Secure Erase Wipe
    >
    > I have a project which I need to DoD harddrives for the company. I
    > have large raid-scsi enclosure which I can use.
    >
    > I have access Quad/Octa Xeon P4 servers with 3 dual channel LVE/SE
    > ultra scsi 160 cards. With these, I would be able to drive 4 x 14 scsi
    > drive (IBM EXP300 / 3531-1RU) units.
    >
    > What are my options?
    >
    > I was thinking about doing following.
    >
    > 1. for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7; do time dd /dev/random of=/dev/sda
    > bs=1048576; done
    >
    > Use the random bits into drive 7 times.
    > I think with 14 x 36GB scsi in raid5 setup would take approximately
    > 18 x 7pass = 5 days.
    > This is pretty bad.
    >
    > 2. I could setup stripped version of gentoo with proper raid
    > controller driver(here IBM ServeRaid 4Mx and run DBAN from boot drive.
    >
    > I've got a question, does anyone have working knowledge of DoD5200.28-
    > STD & DoD5200.22-M? I need to know how it's supposed to work, then I
    > could just write simple c program to erase drive instead of relying on
    > other tools for speed.
    > I need fastest solution available.
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread