iSCSI & WUDSS - Confirming OS version - Storage

This is a discussion on iSCSI & WUDSS - Confirming OS version - Storage ; I would like to know how I can determine that the OS I am using is the WUDSS version rather than the WSS version. When I check the Computer Properties it only shows up as WSS - with no delineation ...

  1. iSCSI & WUDSS - Confirming OS version

    I would like to know how I can determine that the OS I am using is the WUDSS
    version rather than the WSS version. When I check the Computer Properties it
    only shows up as WSS - with no delineation for UDSS.

    The reason I am asking is that I am having a problem setting up iSCSI
    volumes. My understanding is with WUDSS installed the storage manager should
    see the attached disks and allow me to create & configure a LUN & iSCSI
    target. Then load the iSCSI initiator onto a server which will can then
    connect to the configured target.

    The LUN management tool is greyed out so I can't seem to configure anything.
    When I click into the SAN management tools there is an error message that the
    VDS service can't be found or no Hardware VDS providers have been installed.
    My understanding for choosing WUDSS is that those components are
    included/installed.

    The basic NAS functionality is working as expected but I would like to
    utilize the iSCSI capabilities as well.

  2. Re: iSCSI & WUDSS - Confirming OS version

    Hello,

    LUN management tool is Storage Manager for SANs?
    Usually it’s greyed out when there is no VDS provider. WUDSS is OEM
    (Original Equipment Manufacturer) release, and sometimes, VDS providers are
    not installed by default.

    Hope it helps!

    --
    Malu Menezes [MSFT]
    http://blogs.technet.com/filecab

    "Littlelegs" wrote in message
    >I would like to know how I can determine that the OS I am using is the
    >WUDSS
    > version rather than the WSS version. When I check the Computer Properties
    > it
    > only shows up as WSS - with no delineation for UDSS.
    >
    > The reason I am asking is that I am having a problem setting up iSCSI
    > volumes. My understanding is with WUDSS installed the storage manager
    > should
    > see the attached disks and allow me to create & configure a LUN & iSCSI
    > target. Then load the iSCSI initiator onto a server which will can then
    > connect to the configured target.
    >
    > The LUN management tool is greyed out so I can't seem to configure
    > anything.
    > When I click into the SAN management tools there is an error message that
    > the
    > VDS service can't be found or no Hardware VDS providers have been
    > installed.
    > My understanding for choosing WUDSS is that those components are
    > included/installed.
    >
    > The basic NAS functionality is working as expected but I would like to
    > utilize the iSCSI capabilities as well.

  3. Re: iSCSI & WUDSS - Confirming OS version

    Thank you for the reply and information - it makes more sense now. So the
    hardware VDS driver should be supplied by the appliance manufacturer to match
    the RAID subsystems... at which point the SAN manager will be able to see the
    disks...

    Funny how when the same words are written in a slightly different manner
    the meaning is sooo much clearer!

    "Malu Menezes [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > LUN management tool is Storage Manager for SANs?
    > Usually it’s greyed out when there is no VDS provider. WUDSS is OEM
    > (Original Equipment Manufacturer) release, and sometimes, VDS providers are
    > not installed by default.
    >
    > Hope it helps!
    >

    > --
    > Malu Menezes [MSFT]
    > http://blogs.technet.com/filecab
    > ------------------------------
    > Messages posted to this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
    > and confer no rights.
    > Check the Storage Solutions Division Team blog at
    > http://blogs.technet.com/filecab
    >

    > "Littlelegs" wrote in message
    > >I would like to know how I can determine that the OS I am using is the
    > >WUDSS
    > > version rather than the WSS version. When I check the Computer Properties
    > > it
    > > only shows up as WSS - with no delineation for UDSS.
    > >
    > > The reason I am asking is that I am having a problem setting up iSCSI
    > > volumes. My understanding is with WUDSS installed the storage manager
    > > should
    > > see the attached disks and allow me to create & configure a LUN & iSCSI
    > > target. Then load the iSCSI initiator onto a server which will can then
    > > connect to the configured target.
    > >
    > > The LUN management tool is greyed out so I can't seem to configure
    > > anything.
    > > When I click into the SAN management tools there is an error message that
    > > the
    > > VDS service can't be found or no Hardware VDS providers have been
    > > installed.
    > > My understanding for choosing WUDSS is that those components are
    > > included/installed.
    > >
    > > The basic NAS functionality is working as expected but I would like to
    > > utilize the iSCSI capabilities as well.

  4. Re: iSCSI & WUDSS - Confirming OS version

    Glad it helped.
    Let us know if you need more info!

    --Malu

    Hey, BTW, if you really want to know more about you WUDSS version,
    > Thank you for the reply and information - it makes more sense now. So the
    > hardware VDS driver should be supplied by the appliance manufacturer to
    > match
    > the RAID subsystems... at which point the SAN manager will be able to see
    > the
    > disks...
    >
    > Funny how when the same words are written in a slightly different
    > manner
    > the meaning is sooo much clearer!
    >
    > "Malu Menezes [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> LUN management tool is Storage Manager for SANs?
    >> Usually it’s greyed out when there is no VDS provider. WUDSS is OEM
    >> (Original Equipment Manufacturer) release, and sometimes, VDS providers
    >> are
    >> not installed by default.
    >>
    >> Hope it helps!
    >>

    >> --
    >> Malu Menezes [MSFT]
    >> http://blogs.technet.com/filecab
    >> ------------------------------
    >> Messages posted to this newsgroup are provided "AS IS" with no
    >> warranties,
    >> and confer no rights.
    >> Check the Storage Solutions Division Team blog at
    >> http://blogs.technet.com/filecab
    >>

    >> "Littlelegs" wrote in message
    >> >I would like to know how I can determine that the OS I am using is the
    >> >WUDSS
    >> > version rather than the WSS version. When I check the Computer
    >> > Properties
    >> > it
    >> > only shows up as WSS - with no delineation for UDSS.
    >> >
    >> > The reason I am asking is that I am having a problem setting up iSCSI
    >> > volumes. My understanding is with WUDSS installed the storage manager
    >> > should
    >> > see the attached disks and allow me to create & configure a LUN & iSCSI
    >> > target. Then load the iSCSI initiator onto a server which will can then
    >> > connect to the configured target.
    >> >
    >> > The LUN management tool is greyed out so I can't seem to configure
    >> > anything.
    >> > When I click into the SAN management tools there is an error message
    >> > that
    >> > the
    >> > VDS service can't be found or no Hardware VDS providers have been
    >> > installed.
    >> > My understanding for choosing WUDSS is that those components are
    >> > included/installed.
    >> >
    >> > The basic NAS functionality is working as expected but I would like to
    >> > utilize the iSCSI capabilities as well.

+ Reply to Thread