DFS Replication filter - Storage

This is a discussion on DFS Replication filter - Storage ; Is it possible to create a DFS Replication filter that will prevent replication on files with no extension? We have several applications that create temp files in the form 0123ABCD with no extension. I would like to prevent DFS from ...

  1. DFS Replication filter

    Is it possible to create a DFS Replication filter that will prevent
    replication on files with no extension? We have several applications that
    create temp files in the form 0123ABCD with no extension. I would like to
    prevent DFS from trying to replciate them since they cause sharing
    violations.

    I've tried a filter like this "*." but it didn't seem to do anything.

  2. Re: DFS Replication filter

    configure the Application which creates these to create them in a non-DFS'ed
    share

    "Jeff Hofstetter" wrote in message
    > Is it possible to create a DFS Replication filter that will prevent
    > replication on files with no extension? We have several applications that
    > create temp files in the form 0123ABCD with no extension. I would like to
    > prevent DFS from trying to replciate them since they cause sharing
    > violations.
    >
    > I've tried a filter like this "*." but it didn't seem to do anything.

  3. Re: DFS Replication filter

    I guess that means no, I can't configure it. Changing every desktop
    application is a bit more than I wanted to do. But if that is my only
    option...

    "Edwin vMierlo [MVP]" wrote in
    message news:eCn9e8JlIHA.4712@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    > configure the Application which creates these to create them in a
    > non-DFS'ed
    > share
    >

    > "Jeff Hofstetter" wrote in message
    >> Is it possible to create a DFS Replication filter that will prevent
    >> replication on files with no extension? We have several applications that
    >> create temp files in the form 0123ABCD with no extension. I would like to
    >> prevent DFS from trying to replciate them since they cause sharing
    >> violations.
    >>
    >> I've tried a filter like this "*." but it didn't seem to do anything.

  4. Re: DFS Replication filter

    Hi,
    I think if you have your temp files in the same folder, for instance, you
    can exclude them, because you can exclude files or folders from replication
    by following these steps:
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

    However, I'm not sure you have a better way to do it if the files have
    random names and are all over the place...
    Hope it helps!

    --
    Malu Menezes [MSFT]

    "Jeff Hofstetter" wrote in message
    > Is it possible to create a DFS Replication filter that will prevent
    > replication on files with no extension? We have several applications that
    > create temp files in the form 0123ABCD with no extension. I would like to
    > prevent DFS from trying to replciate them since they cause sharing
    > violations.
    >
    > I've tried a filter like this "*." but it didn't seem to do anything.

+ Reply to Thread