drive keeps having partition problems - Storage

This is a discussion on drive keeps having partition problems - Storage ; Franc Zabkar wrote in news:4so9141hl7hqnd5l0j1dalq8th9h1s1reo@4ax.com > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 04:14:03 GMT, Dave Seven > put finger to keyboard and composed: > > > Yousuf Khan wrote: > > > > > However, SMART is one of the most ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 61 to 66 of 66

  1. Re: drive keeps having partition problems

    Franc Zabkar wrote in news:4so9141hl7hqnd5l0j1dalq8th9h1s1reo@4ax.com
    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 04:14:03 GMT, Dave Seven
    > put finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    > > Yousuf Khan wrote:
    > >
    > > > However, SMART is one of the most lenient error detection schemes out
    > > > there. It usually finds no errors, so if it actually finds something
    > > > then it's usually a sign that the drive truly needs to be replaced
    > > > sooner rather than later.
    > > >
    > > > Yousuf Khan

    > > But you can just run HDtune (free version) and it will read the SMART
    > > info without having to have it enabled in the bios.
    > >

    > > http://www.hdtune.com/

    > The following article suggests that S.M.A.R.T is always enabled as far
    > as the drive is concerned.

    Silly you:

    Page 247
    8.51.1 SMART DISABLE OPERATIONS
    8.51.1.1 Command code
    B0h with a Feature register value of D9h.
    8.51.1.2 Feature set
    SMART feature set.
    - Mandatory when the SMART feature set is implemented.
    - Use prohibited when the PACKET Command feature set is implemented.

    8.51.1.8 Description
    This command disables all SMART capabilities within the device including any and all timer and event count
    functions related exclusively to this feature. After command acceptance the device shall disable all SMART
    operations. SMART data shall no longer be monitored or saved by the device. The state of SMART, either
    enabled or disabled, shall be preserved by the device across power cycles.

    T13 Draft 1410D

    > The BIOS setting merely controls whether
    > the BIOS will test the SMART health status of a disc at bootup.
    >
    > http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > ================================================== ===================
    > My computer's BIOS has a SMART enable/disable setting. What does it
    > do, and how should I set it?
    >
    > Some type of BIOS can check the SMART health status of a disk at
    > bootup ... This one-time check on bootup is done if the BIOS SMART
    > setting is set to 'ENABLE', and is not done if the setting is set to
    > 'DISABLE'.
    >
    > If this one-time check is done, and the disk's health status is found
    > to be 'FAIL', then typically the BIOS will display an error message
    > and refuse to boot the machine.
    >
    > For the proper functioning of smartmontools [or any other SMART
    > software tool], either BIOS setting may be used.
    > ================================================== ===================
    >
    > - Franc Zabkar

  2. Re: drive keeps having partition problems

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:42:54 +0100, "Squeeze"
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Franc Zabkar wrote in news:4so9141hl7hqnd5l0j1dalq8th9h1s1reo@4ax.com
    >> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 04:14:03 GMT, Dave Seven
    >> put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >> > But you can just run HDtune (free version) and it will read the SMART
    >> > info without having to have it enabled in the bios.
    >> >

    >> > http://www.hdtune.com/

    >> The following article suggests that S.M.A.R.T is always enabled as far
    >> as the drive is concerned.

    >Silly you:

    >Page 247
    >8.51.1 SMART DISABLE OPERATIONS
    >8.51.1.1 Command code
    >B0h with a Feature register value of D9h.
    >8.51.1.2 Feature set
    >SMART feature set.
    >- Mandatory when the SMART feature set is implemented.
    >- Use prohibited when the PACKET Command feature set is implemented.
    >
    >8.51.1.8 Description
    >This command disables all SMART capabilities within the device including any and all timer and event count
    >functions related exclusively to this feature. After command acceptance the device shall disable all SMART
    >operations. SMART data shall no longer be monitored or saved by the device. The state of SMART, either
    >enabled or disabled, shall be preserved by the device across power cycles.
    >
    >T13 Draft 1410D

    That depends on the BIOS.

    The SMART enable/disable setting in the AMI BIOS of my PCChips socket
    7 M571 mainboard has no effect on SMART reporting. When I run the
    Smartudm utility after a DOS boot, it always shows that SMART is
    enabled, and the SMART attributes are always updated.

    OTOH, the SMART enable/disable setting in my ECS L7S7A2 AMI BIOS does
    disable the updating of SMART attributes. Smartudm shows it as
    disabled on its first run. Subsequent passes show it as enabled (by
    Smartudm), until the next reboot when the BIOS reverts it to disabled.

    >> The BIOS setting merely controls whether
    >> the BIOS will test the SMART health status of a disc at bootup.
    >>
    >> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >> ================================================== ===================
    >> My computer's BIOS has a SMART enable/disable setting. What does it
    >> do, and how should I set it?
    >>
    >> Some type of BIOS can check the SMART health status of a disk at
    >> bootup ... This one-time check on bootup is done if the BIOS SMART
    >> setting is set to 'ENABLE', and is not done if the setting is set to
    >> 'DISABLE'.
    >>
    >> If this one-time check is done, and the disk's health status is found
    >> to be 'FAIL', then typically the BIOS will display an error message
    >> and refuse to boot the machine.
    >>
    >> For the proper functioning of smartmontools [or any other SMART
    >> software tool], either BIOS setting may be used.
    >> ================================================== ===================
    >>
    >> - Franc Zabkar

    - Franc Zabkar

  3. Re: drive keeps having partition problems

    Franc Zabkar wrote in news:m7ta14lsrs1ql5ukajvedhahumm703m0dm@4ax.com
    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:42:54 +0100, "Squeeze" rubberduck@duckies.au put finger to keyboard and composed:
    > > Franc Zabkar wrote in news:4so9141hl7hqnd5l0j1dalq8th9h1s1reo@4ax.com
    > > > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 04:14:03 GMT, Dave Seven notfor@email.invalid put finger to keyboard and composed:

    > > > The following article suggests that S.M.A.R.T is always enabled as far
    > > > as the drive is concerned.

    > > Silly you:

    > > Page 247
    > > 8.51.1 SMART DISABLE OPERATIONS
    > > 8.51.1.1 Command code
    > > B0h with a Feature register value of D9h.
    > > 8.51.1.2 Feature set
    > > SMART feature set.
    > > - Mandatory when the SMART feature set is implemented.
    > > - Use prohibited when the PACKET Command feature set is implemented.
    > >
    > > 8.51.1.8 Description
    > > This command disables all SMART capabilities within the device including any and all timer and event count
    > > functions related exclusively to this feature. After command acceptance the device shall disable all SMART
    > > operations. SMART data shall no longer be monitored or saved by the device. The state of SMART, either
    > > enabled or disabled, shall be preserved by the device across power cycles.
    > >
    > > T13 Draft 1410D

    > That depends on the BIOS.

    Pity about the "S.M.A.R.T is *always* enabled as far as the drive is concerned".

    > The SMART enable/disable setting in the AMI BIOS of my PCChips socket
    > 7 M571 mainboard has no effect on SMART reporting. When I run the
    > Smartudm utility after a DOS boot, it always shows that SMART is
    > enabled, and the SMART attributes are always updated.
    >
    > OTOH, the SMART enable/disable setting in my ECS L7S7A2 AMI BIOS
    > does disable the updating of SMART attributes. Smartudm shows it as
    > disabled on its first run. Subsequent passes show it as enabled (by
    > Smartudm), until the next reboot when the BIOS reverts it to disabled.

    Right, S.M.A.R.T is *not* always enabled as far as the drive is concerned.

    [snip]

  4. Re: drive keeps having partition problems

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:39:31 +0100, "Squeeze"
    put finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Franc Zabkar wrote in news:m7ta14lsrs1ql5ukajvedhahumm703m0dm@4ax.com

    >> The SMART enable/disable setting in the AMI BIOS of my PCChips socket
    >> 7 M571 mainboard has no effect on SMART reporting. When I run the
    >> Smartudm utility after a DOS boot, it always shows that SMART is
    >> enabled, and the SMART attributes are always updated.
    >>
    >> OTOH, the SMART enable/disable setting in my ECS L7S7A2 AMI BIOS
    >> does disable the updating of SMART attributes. Smartudm shows it as
    >> disabled on its first run. Subsequent passes show it as enabled (by
    >> Smartudm), until the next reboot when the BIOS reverts it to disabled.

    >Right, S.M.A.R.T is *not* always enabled as far as the drive is concerned.

    The author of smartmontools is both right and wrong depending on which
    version of BIOS you have.

    - Franc Zabkar

  5. Re: drive keeps having partition problems

    Franc Zabkar wrote in news:ehfc149sv6duromqe8vdbga859oq2fd521@4ax.com
    > On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 14:39:31 +0100, "Squeeze" rubberduck@duckies.au put finger to keyboard and composed:
    > > Franc Zabkar wrote in news:m7ta14lsrs1ql5ukajvedhahumm703m0dm@4ax.com

    > > > The SMART enable/disable setting in the AMI BIOS of my PCChips socket
    > > > 7 M571 mainboard has no effect on SMART reporting. When I run the
    > > > Smartudm utility after a DOS boot, it always shows that SMART is
    > > > enabled, and the SMART attributes are always updated.
    > > >
    > > > OTOH, the SMART enable/disable setting in my ECS L7S7A2 AMI BIOS
    > > > does disable the updating of SMART attributes. Smartudm shows it as
    > > > disabled on its first run. Subsequent passes show it as enabled (by
    > > > Smartudm), until the next reboot when the BIOS reverts it to disabled.

    > > Right, S.M.A.R.T is *not* always enabled as far as the drive is concerned.

    > The author of smartmontools is both right and wrong depending on which
    > version of BIOS you have.

    Pity that the author of smartmontools didn't say anything of the sort.
    The conclusion was all your's and no one elses.

    > - Franc Zabkar

  6. Re: drive keeps having partition problems

    Franc Zabkar wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:42:54 +0100, "Squeeze"

    > >Silly you:

    > >Page 247
    > >8.51.1 SMART DISABLE OPERATIONS
    > >8.51.1.1 Command code
    > >B0h with a Feature register value of D9h.
    > >8.51.1.2 Feature set
    > >SMART feature set.
    > >- Mandatory when the SMART feature set is implemented.
    > >- Use prohibited when the PACKET Command feature set is implemented.
    > >
    > >8.51.1.8 Description
    > >This command disables all SMART capabilities within the device including any and all timer and event count
    > >functions related exclusively to this feature. After command acceptance the device shall disable all SMART
    > >operations. SMART data shall no longer be monitored or saved by the device. The state of SMART, either
    > >enabled or disabled, shall be preserved by the device across power cycles.
    > >
    > >T13 Draft 1410D

    > That depends on the BIOS.
    >
    > The SMART enable/disable setting in the AMI BIOS of my PCChips socket
    > 7 M571 mainboard has no effect on SMART reporting. When I run the
    > Smartudm utility after a DOS boot, it always shows that SMART is
    > enabled, and the SMART attributes are always updated.

    Hello, Franc:

    "Squeeze" is just one of the psuedonyms of Folkert Rienstra
    (a notorious Usenet troll, based in the Netherlands). He uses this sneaky tactic, to
    evade the "killfiles" of his many enemies.

    By including "au" with his phony e-mail address, he's trying too fool people into
    believing he's really Rod Speed (an Australian, who happens to be his main adversary,
    here in ).

    The dour Dutchman has long pestered >this< newsgroup, among certain others.

    Cordially,
    John Turco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4