new hard drive for old iBook - Storage

This is a discussion on new hard drive for old iBook - Storage ; Well, not that old - 12" 1.33 GHz G4 I just got my daughter a good deal off eBay, one reason for which was a smallish (30 BG) drive. Paranoid dumb question time. Surely there's no size limit - just ...

  1. new hard drive for old iBook

    Well, not that old - 12" 1.33 GHz G4

    I just got my daughter a good deal off eBay, one reason for which was a
    smallish (30 BG) drive.

    Paranoid dumb question time. Surely there's no size limit - just
    dimensions/connection specifics. Correct? I've swapped a 14" G4 iBook's drive
    before and would hate to go through that again for naught.

    --

    Tim
    lance_1012@hotmail.com

  2. Re: new hard drive for old iBook

    In article ,
    Tim Lance wrote:

    > Well, not that old - 12" 1.33 GHz G4
    >
    > I just got my daughter a good deal off eBay, one reason for which was a
    > smallish (30 BG) drive.
    >
    > Paranoid dumb question time. Surely there's no size limit - just
    > dimensions/connection specifics. Correct? I've swapped a 14" G4 iBook's drive
    > before and would hate to go through that again for naught.

    Yes the drive can be changed. However, I'm unsure of the maximum
    size supported in that model. You should definitely be able to go
    up to 120GB. I am just unsure if that ATA controller supports
    larger PATA 2.5" drives. xlr8yourmac.com may have more
    information on this.

    The 2nd issues is that there are approx 80 screws you have to
    remove in order to gain access to the disk drive. When I had to
    replace the disk in my iBook and later my Wife's iBook, I was more
    than happy to pay an Apple Certified Tech to do the work :-)

    You can find instructions on-line for how to open the iBook. Just
    make sure you have lots of egg cartons to put all the parts into
    :-) And maybe keep some details notes as you go.
    <http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBoo...d-Drive-Replac
    ement/83/14/>

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris

  3. Re: new hard drive for old iBook

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 09:35:04 -0500, Bob Harris wrote
    (in article ):

    > In article ,
    > Tim Lance wrote:
    >
    >> Well, not that old - 12" 1.33 GHz G4
    >>
    >> I just got my daughter a good deal off eBay, one reason for which was a
    >> smallish (30 BG) drive.
    >>
    >> Paranoid dumb question time. Surely there's no size limit - just
    >> dimensions/connection specifics. Correct? I've swapped a 14" G4 iBook's
    >> drive
    >> before and would hate to go through that again for naught.

    > Yes the drive can be changed. However, I'm unsure of the maximum
    > size supported in that model. You should definitely be able to go
    > up to 120GB. I am just unsure if that ATA controller supports
    > larger PATA 2.5" drives. xlr8yourmac.com may have more
    > information on this.
    >
    > The 2nd issues is that there are approx 80 screws you have to
    > remove in order to gain access to the disk drive. When I had to
    > replace the disk in my iBook and later my Wife's iBook, I was more
    > than happy to pay an Apple Certified Tech to do the work :-)
    >
    > You can find instructions on-line for how to open the iBook. Just
    > make sure you have lots of egg cartons to put all the parts into
    >> -) And maybe keep some details notes as you go.

    > <http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/iBoo...d-Drive-Replac
    > ement/83/14/>
    >
    > Bob Harris
    >
    > Bob Harris

    Thanks for the xlr8yourmac.com tip - totally forgot about them.

    As I said in the OP, I have done the 14" G4. I've done most. I'm just one
    lazy SOB. But if I can get a significantly bigger drive in there for a
    birthday present (and a decent price) I will. The iBook itself is a
    replacement for one just stolen. I hope to be able to wait until Christmas
    for her to fill the 30 GBs. Her 60 GB was full and she was on the verge of
    getting an external.

    Thanks again for responding,

    --

    Tim
    lance_1012@hotmail.com

  4. Re: new hard drive for old iBook

    Tim Lance wrote:

    > Well, not that old - 12" 1.33 GHz G4
    >
    > I just got my daughter a good deal off eBay, one reason for which was a
    > smallish (30 BG) drive.
    >
    > Paranoid dumb question time. Surely there's no size limit - just
    > dimensions/connection specifics. Correct? I've swapped a 14" G4 iBook's drive
    > before and would hate to go through that again for naught.

    Old Macs are limited to 128 GB for each hard drive connected to the
    internal bus. Later models don't have this limit.

    The cutoff point isn't well defined, but it is between late 2001 and
    late 2002, with variation between models and where the computer was
    manufactured.

    An iBook G4 should be new enough to not be affected by this limit, since
    the first one was introduced in late 2003, and your daughter's one is
    newer still.

    --
    David Empson
    dempson@actrix.gen.nz

  5. Re: new hard drive for old iBook

    On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:01:13 -0500, David Empson wrote
    (in article <1iendd1.1v3rju31c9cm34N%dempson@actrix.gen.nz>):

    > Tim Lance wrote:
    >
    >> Well, not that old - 12" 1.33 GHz G4
    >>
    >> I just got my daughter a good deal off eBay, one reason for which was a
    >> smallish (30 BG) drive.
    >>
    >> Paranoid dumb question time. Surely there's no size limit - just
    >> dimensions/connection specifics. Correct? I've swapped a 14" G4 iBook's
    >> drive
    >> before and would hate to go through that again for naught.

    > Old Macs are limited to 128 GB for each hard drive connected to the
    > internal bus. Later models don't have this limit.
    >
    > The cutoff point isn't well defined, but it is between late 2001 and
    > late 2002, with variation between models and where the computer was
    > manufactured.
    >
    > An iBook G4 should be new enough to not be affected by this limit, since
    > the first one was introduced in late 2003, and your daughter's one is
    > newer still.

    Yep, what I'm thinking.

    Thanks.

    --