IMac doesn't recognize LaCie d2 - Storage

This is a discussion on IMac doesn't recognize LaCie d2 - Storage ; I have a LaCie d2 120gB hard drive hooked up as a backup to my iMac G5. It worked error free until two days ago when the computer refused to recognize the hard drive. Unfortunately, while it was used as ...

  1. IMac doesn't recognize LaCie d2

    I have a LaCie d2 120gB hard drive hooked up as a backup to my iMac
    G5. It worked error free until two days ago when the computer refused
    to recognize the hard drive. Unfortunately, while it was used as a
    backup on one computer, it was also holding the entire set of files
    from another computer that wasn't resident anywhere else.

    As far as I can tell, the disk is spinning up normally - its the
    firewire connection that is messed up.

    LaCie says its out of warranty and that

    "Depending on what is wrong with the drive, parts may be salvageable.
    We are unable to assist with any of this, but if the mechanism itself
    is dead, a new one can be placed inside the case. If the mechanism is
    still good, it may be installed elsewhere--either in a computer or
    inside a new empty case. LaCie does not sell parts, bridges, boards or
    empty enclosures per agreements made with our suppliers."

    They also gave me the name of a company that might be able to retrieve
    the data on the drive, but the cost was $$$$$

    So, does anyone have some ideas about what the issue might be and
    where I might get the drive looked at? (I live in Connecticut). Any
    other suggestions are welcome. By the way, I'll also entertain
    suggestions as to which brand of new backup hard drive I should buy.

    Art

  2. Re: IMac doesn't recognize LaCie d2

    On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:01:54 -0400, c1802362 wrote
    (in article
    ):

    > I have a LaCie d2 120gB hard drive hooked up as a backup to my iMac
    > G5. It worked error free until two days ago when the computer refused
    > to recognize the hard drive. Unfortunately, while it was used as a
    > backup on one computer, it was also holding the entire set of files
    > from another computer that wasn't resident anywhere else.
    >
    > As far as I can tell, the disk is spinning up normally - its the
    > firewire connection that is messed up.
    >
    > LaCie says its out of warranty and that
    >
    > "Depending on what is wrong with the drive, parts may be salvageable.
    > We are unable to assist with any of this, but if the mechanism itself
    > is dead, a new one can be placed inside the case. If the mechanism is
    > still good, it may be installed elsewhere--either in a computer or
    > inside a new empty case. LaCie does not sell parts, bridges, boards or
    > empty enclosures per agreements made with our suppliers."

    If it's out of warranty, and the drive itself is good, get an external case
    (FireWire or USB) from somewhere like Best Buy, Fries, NewEgg, Office Depot,
    etc., then open up the LaCie case, take the drive out, put it in the new case
    and connect the case to your Mac. USB-only cases cost as little as $20.
    FireWire and USB combo cases cost about $50 or so at the low end, $100 or so
    at the high end.

    > They also gave me the name of a company that might be able to retrieve
    > the data on the drive, but the cost was $$$$$

    The _starting price_ for someone like Drive Savers to get data off a dead
    disk is $300. This escalates rapidly into the thousands of dollars, depending
    on what they need to do to get the data back.

    > So, does anyone have some ideas about what the issue might be

    There are too many possible problems with older d2s. I'd have to look at the
    drive myself to know for sure which are the more likely. Possibilities
    include:

    damaged drive mechanism
    dead FireWire port
    dead FireWire chip
    dead drive controller board
    damaged power supply
    combinations of the above.

    Note that if the drive mechanism or drive controller board are damaged,
    putting the drive into a new case will achieve _nothing_...

    > and
    > where I might get the drive looked at? (I live in Connecticut). Any
    > other suggestions are welcome. By the way, I'll also entertain
    > suggestions as to which brand of new backup hard drive I should buy.

    I use LaCie, Western Digitial, and Maxtor. YMMV.