WHAT IS RAW - Storage

This is a discussion on WHAT IS RAW - Storage ; I think my external HD was out of work, it displayed as RAW in the Windows explorer, WHAT IS RAW? What's worse, I can not access the files stored on the HD. Also some strange characters displayed, I can not ...

  1. WHAT IS RAW

    I think my external HD was out of work, it displayed as RAW in the
    Windows explorer, WHAT IS RAW?

    What's worse, I can not access the files stored on the HD. Also some
    strange characters displayed, I

    can not read them. I connected it on my brother's pc, it's the same as
    what I saw on my machine.

    What I wanna to do now is to archive all the files. That's the most
    important thing for me.

    What should i do and how to do?

  2. Re: WHAT IS RAW

    Previously sum1152@gmail.com wrote:
    > I think my external HD was out of work, it displayed as RAW in the
    > Windows explorer, WHAT IS RAW?

    Not partitioned and/or formatted. In a sense "as bought in the shop",
    i.e. raw...

    > What's worse, I can not access the files stored on the HD. Also some
    > strange characters displayed, I can not read them. I connected it on
    > my brother's pc, it's the same as what I saw on my machine. What I
    > wanna to do now is to archive all the files. That's the most
    > important thing for me.

    > What should i do and how to do?

    First, make an image (sector-wise) copy of the disk. After that
    you can try several different recovery software products, one
    or the other may find your files again.

    Arno

  3. Re: WHAT IS RAW

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 18:43:56 -0700 (PDT), sum1152@gmail.com put finger
    to keyboard and composed:

    >I think my external HD was out of work, it displayed as RAW in the
    >Windows explorer, WHAT IS RAW?
    >
    >What's worse, I can not access the files stored on the HD. Also some
    >strange characters displayed, I
    >
    >can not read them. I connected it on my brother's pc, it's the same as
    >what I saw on my machine.

    Can you post these (using cut and paste)?

    >What I wanna to do now is to archive all the files. That's the most
    >important thing for me.
    >
    >What should i do and how to do?

    I had this problem when the boot sector of a logical volume was
    zeroed. In my case I had to reconstruct the boot sector by hand.

    I suggest that you refrain from trying to write to this disc. At least
    try to make a copy of the MBR and partition table, and have a look at
    the boot sector.

    Assuming you are using Windows, you can dump the boot sector by
    executing the following at a command prompt:

    debug
    -L 100 n 0 1 (where n=0,1,2,3 ... for drive A:,B:,C:,D: ...)
    -D 100 2ff
    -Q

    Look for text strings such as FAT32, NTFS, NTLDR, IO.SYS, etc

    For comparison purposes, here are various boot sector and MBR
    templates extracted from AUTOCHK.EXE and DISKPART.EXE (Windows XP
    Home):

    http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/XP_Boot/XP_Boot.zip

    - Franc Zabkar

  4. Re: WHAT IS RAW

    On 28 Mar 2008 03:04:11 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >Previously sum1152@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I think my external HD was out of work, it displayed as RAW in the
    >> Windows explorer, WHAT IS RAW?

    >Not partitioned and/or formatted. In a sense "as bought in the shop",
    >i.e. raw...
    >
    >> What's worse, I can not access the files stored on the HD. Also some
    >> strange characters displayed, I can not read them. I connected it on
    >> my brother's pc, it's the same as what I saw on my machine. What I
    >> wanna to do now is to archive all the files. That's the most
    >> important thing for me.

    >> What should i do and how to do?

    >First, make an image (sector-wise) copy of the disk. After that
    >you can try several different recovery software products, one
    >or the other may find your files again.

    I recommend the R-Studio products by r-tools technology.

    http://www.r-studio.com/

  5. Re: WHAT IS RAW

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:6535hbF2d9akkU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously sum1152@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I think my external HD was out of work, it displayed as RAW in the
    > > Windows explorer, WHAT IS RAW?

    > Not partitioned and/or formatted.
    > In a sense "as bought in the shop", i.e. raw...

    Wrong. It's a mode of access, without using a file system.
    The drive in question may or may not have been partitioned and formatted.

    > > What's worse, I can not access the files stored on the HD. Also some
    > > strange characters displayed, I can not read them. I connected it on
    > > my brother's pc, it's the same as what I saw on my machine. What I
    > > wanna to do now is to archive all the files. That's the most
    > > important thing for me.

    > > What should i do and how to do?

    > First, make an image (sector-wise) copy of the disk. After that
    > you can try several different recovery software products, one
    > or the other may find your files again.
    >
    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread