Partition Magic Error 111 and 105, help, please. - Storage

This is a discussion on Partition Magic Error 111 and 105, help, please. - Storage ; I have a laptop with a 20GB disk. I want to consolidate partitions with PM8 but I get error 111 when I boot from the CD. It asks if I want to fix the problem and I pick "yes" it ...

  1. Partition Magic Error 111 and 105, help, please.

    I have a laptop with a 20GB disk. I want to consolidate partitions
    with PM8 but I get error 111 when I boot from the CD. It asks if I
    want to fix the problem and I pick "yes" it doesn't complain but
    doesn't do anything, either. When I reboot I ge the same error.

    After picking "yes" and get into the main PM screen, I see one disk
    and partition with "BAD" in one of the info fields. I don't see ant
    partitions and can't perform any tasks.

    PM80 is a little dusty. Is there a new software that might deal with
    this for me?

    Thanks

    --
    Al Dykes

  2. Re: Partition Magic Error 111 and 105, help, please.

    Al Dykes wrote:
    > I have a laptop with a 20GB disk. I want to consolidate partitions
    > with PM8 but I get error 111 when I boot from the CD. It asks if I
    > want to fix the problem and I pick "yes" it doesn't complain but
    > doesn't do anything, either. When I reboot I ge the same error.
    >
    > After picking "yes" and get into the main PM screen, I see one disk
    > and partition with "BAD" in one of the info fields. I don't see ant
    > partitions and can't perform any tasks.
    >

    > PM80 is a little dusty. Is there a new software that might deal with
    > this for me?

    Yep, Acronis Disk Director Suite.

  3. Re: Partition Magic Error 111 and 105, help, please.

    On 27 Mar 2008 13:22:48 -0400, adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes) put finger
    to keyboard and composed:

    >I have a laptop with a 20GB disk. I want to consolidate partitions
    >with PM8 but I get error 111 when I boot from the CD. It asks if I
    >want to fix the problem and I pick "yes" it doesn't complain but
    >doesn't do anything, either. When I reboot I ge the same error.
    >
    >After picking "yes" and get into the main PM screen, I see one disk
    >and partition with "BAD" in one of the info fields. I don't see ant
    >partitions and can't perform any tasks.
    >

    >PM80 is a little dusty. Is there a new software that might deal with
    >this for me?
    >
    >Thanks

    Based on what I've seen in the PM8 User Guide, I would not have
    allowed PM8 to write to your disc.

    Before you do anything else, I would make a copy of your MBR and
    partition table, and also of track 0. I use MBRtool for this purpose.

    See http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/mbrtool.htm

    I would then analyse the partition table entries by hand. It could be
    that your laptop's security is hiding the real partition table from
    PM8 (somewhere on track 0 ???), in which case the partition table at
    physical sector 0 may be a dummy.

    Here appear to be the relevant excerpts from the PM8 User Guide.

    EN PartitionMagic 8.05 user guide:
    http://www.amsoft.cz/produkty/Symant...uide_npm_8.pdf

    #105 Partition starts on wrong boundary

    The hard-disk partition table contains erroneous values.
    PartitionMagic expects partitions to begin and end on the correct
    cylinder boundaries. If they do not, the disk may be partially
    corrupted. In this circumstance, if PartitionMagic were to make any
    modifications it might cause the loss of data. Therefore,
    PartitionMagic refuses to recognize any of the hard disk’s partitions.

    #111 Logical partition starts outside of Extended

    An extended partition boot record (EPBR) is a sector on the hard disk
    that contains a partition table. The EPBR partition table is special
    because it generally only has two valid entries: one for the logical
    partition and one that is a pointer to the next EPBR. The standard is
    for the logical partition's entry to be the first entry in the table
    and the second entry is the pointer to the next EPBR. The third and
    fourth entries are not used. For some utilities, such as IBM's Boot
    Manager, the order of these entries is important because the utility
    expects the first entry to be the logical and the second entry to be
    the pointer to the next EPBR. If PartitionMagic detects that the EPBR
    entries are out of order, you will be prompted to fix the error. If
    you choose to fix the error, PartitionMagic will reorder the EPBR
    entries for you automatically.

    - Franc Zabkar

  4. Re: Partition Magic Error 111 and 105, help, please.

    In article <47ed2e62$0$24085$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >"Al Dykes" wrote:
    >> PM80 is a little dusty. Is there a new software that might deal with
    >> this for me?

    > Your problem may have to do with the Vista method of aligning
    >partitions on 1MB boundaries. Are you using partitions made by
    >Vista or the Vista installer? If so, I've read that the latest version
    >of BootIt NG handles Vista partitions.
    >
    >*TimDaniels*

    This is an XP/NTFS system

    --
    Al Dykes

  5. Re: Partition Magic Error 111 and 105, help, please.

    "Al Dykes" wrote:
    > PM80 is a little dusty. Is there a new software that might deal with
    > this for me?

    Your problem may have to do with the Vista method of aligning
    partitions on 1MB boundaries. Are you using partitions made by
    Vista or the Vista installer? If so, I've read that the latest version
    of BootIt NG handles Vista partitions.

    *TimDaniels*

+ Reply to Thread