AreLunsSupported of VSS Hardware Provider not being called - Storage

This is a discussion on AreLunsSupported of VSS Hardware Provider not being called - Storage ; Hello, I am implementing a Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) Hardware Provider for storage box of my company. The storage box is a DAS RAID device. It exposes volumes as SCSI disks to the initiator. I wish to take snapshot ...

  1. AreLunsSupported of VSS Hardware Provider not being called

    Hello,
    I am implementing a Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS)
    Hardware Provider for storage box of my company.
    The storage box is a DAS RAID device. It exposes
    volumes as SCSI disks to the initiator.
    I wish to take snapshot of the volumes created on
    these SCSI disks using the hardware provider. Please
    note that snapshot logic is already implemented by the
    storage box.

    I have written a simple Provider and registered it
    on Windows 2003, which does nothing, but just traces
    the function calls. The problem is that when I call
    vshadow(i.e. a sample requester available from
    Microsoft), on the NTFS volume created on
    this SCSI disk, the call never comes to my Provider.
    It even does not even call AreLunsSupported().

    I even tried calling just my provider from the
    requester, but still without the call going to
    AreLunsSupported(), I am getting the error -
    VSS_E_VOLUME_NOT_SUPPORTED_BY_PROVIDER.

    Can anyone tell me, what is that I am missing? Does
    the Windows VSS service not call all the providers to
    inquire, whether it supports a disk?
    To my knowledge it should call AreLunsSupported().
    Is it something else, that is calls ?

    Please note that I have not written VDS Provider for these
    disks.

    Thanks in advance.
    Priya

  2. Re: AreLunsSupported of VSS Hardware Provider not being called

    On Mar 26, 12:59 am, Priya Sehgal Seh...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > I have written a simple Provider and registered it
    > on Windows 2003, which does nothing, but just traces
    > the function calls. The problem is that when I call
    > vshadow(i.e. a sample requester available from
    > Microsoft), on the NTFS volume created on
    > this SCSI disk, the call never comes to my Provider.
    > It even does not even call AreLunsSupported().

    Does 'vssadmin list providers' show your hardware provider ?

    > Can anyone tell me, what is that I am missing? Does
    > the Windows VSS service not call all the providers to
    > inquire, whether it supports a disk?
    > To my knowledge it should call AreLunsSupported().
    > Is it something else, that is calls ?

    Yes 'AreLunsSupported' is the first call into the provider.

    > Please note that I have not written VDS Provider for these
    > disks.

    VDS support makes no difference.

+ Reply to Thread