Convert GPD Disk - Storage

This is a discussion on Convert GPD Disk - Storage ; I have a USB external HD case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817332008 I put 3 drives in. Using normal mode. Not spanning. 2 of the drives are GPD or GUID or something that Vista made. How can I convert these drives to regular drives ...

  1. Convert GPD Disk

    I have a USB external HD case:

    I put 3 drives in. Using normal mode. Not spanning. 2 of the drives
    are GPD or GUID or something that Vista made. How can I convert these
    drives to regular drives that XP can see? I need to access these from
    Vista and XP. I can't find any way to convert. Paragon can't do it.
    Neither can Partition Magic. I have Googled and can't really find a
    way. Can anyone help?

    Thx!

  2. Re: Convert GPD Disk

    Previously Lisa wrote:
    > I have a USB external HD case:

    > I put 3 drives in. Using normal mode. Not spanning. 2 of the drives
    > are GPD or GUID or something that Vista made. How can I convert these
    > drives to regular drives that XP can see? I need to access these from
    > Vista and XP. I can't find any way to convert. Paragon can't do it.
    > Neither can Partition Magic. I have Googled and can't really find a
    > way. Can anyone help?

    Repartition and reformat under XP?

    Arno

  3. Re: Convert GPD Disk

    On 26 Mar 2008 04:18:32 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >Previously Lisa wrote:
    >> I have a USB external HD case:
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817332008

    >> I put 3 drives in. Using normal mode. Not spanning. 2 of the drives
    >> are GPD or GUID or something that Vista made. How can I convert these
    >> drives to regular drives that XP can see? I need to access these from
    >> Vista and XP. I can't find any way to convert. Paragon can't do it.
    >> Neither can Partition Magic. I have Googled and can't really find a
    >> way. Can anyone help?

    >Repartition and reformat under XP?
    >
    >Arno

    I can't. In disk mgt I can see the partitions in xp. Xp even
    identifys them as GPT Protective Partitions. Theres no drive letter
    in xp. All the options like format are grayed out.

  4. Re: Convert GPD Disk

    Previously Lisa wrote:
    > On 26 Mar 2008 04:18:32 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:

    >>Previously Lisa wrote:
    >>> I have a USB external HD case:
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817332008

    >>> I put 3 drives in. Using normal mode. Not spanning. 2 of the drives
    >>> are GPD or GUID or something that Vista made. How can I convert these
    >>> drives to regular drives that XP can see? I need to access these from
    >>> Vista and XP. I can't find any way to convert. Paragon can't do it.
    >>> Neither can Partition Magic. I have Googled and can't really find a
    >>> way. Can anyone help?

    >>Repartition and reformat under XP?
    >>
    >>Arno

    > I can't. In disk mgt I can see the partitions in xp. Xp even
    > identifys them as GPT Protective Partitions. Theres no drive letter
    > in xp. All the options like format are grayed out.

    Ok, that is a problem. Best approach is to use a disk wipe utility
    to clear the disk, restart and then partition and format under XP.

    Since I do such things under Linux, I don't know what tools
    are best for XP, but google("wipe disk") should find several
    and the archives of this newsgroup should also contain relevant
    information.

    Arno

  5. Re: Convert GPD Disk

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 01:21:55 -0400, Lisa put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >On 26 Mar 2008 04:18:32 GMT, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >
    >>Previously Lisa wrote:
    >>> I have a USB external HD case:
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817332008

    >>> I put 3 drives in. Using normal mode. Not spanning. 2 of the drives
    >>> are GPD or GUID or something that Vista made. How can I convert these
    >>> drives to regular drives that XP can see? I need to access these from
    >>> Vista and XP. I can't find any way to convert. Paragon can't do it.
    >>> Neither can Partition Magic. I have Googled and can't really find a
    >>> way. Can anyone help?

    >>Repartition and reformat under XP?
    >>
    >>Arno

    >I can't. In disk mgt I can see the partitions in xp. Xp even
    >identifys them as GPT Protective Partitions. Theres no drive letter
    >in xp. All the options like format are grayed out.

    It appears that the MBR and partition table that XP sees is a dummy.
    For a GPT disc, the real partition table is at sector 2, not sector 0,
    and partition 1 starts at sector 34, not 63. AFAICT, if you want your
    hard disc file systems to be visible to both XP and Vista, then you
    will need to backup your data and repartition and reformat using NTFS.

    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

    "The primary purpose of the MBR at the beginning of the disk is to
    prevent MBR-based disk utilities from mis-recognizing, and possibly
    over-writing, GPT disks. A single partition, encompassing the entire
    GPT drive, is indicated. The System ID for the partition is set to
    0xEE, indicating that it uses GPT. Because of this, EFI ignores the
    MBR. Some 32-bit OSes which cannot read GPT disks nevertheless
    recognize this ID and present the disk as an inaccessible GPT disk."

    - Franc Zabkar

  6. Re: Convert GPD Disk

    On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:24:33 +1100, Franc Zabkar
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 01:21:55 -0400, Lisa put
    >finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>>Repartition and reformat under XP?
    >>>
    >>>Arno

    >>I can't. In disk mgt I can see the partitions in xp. Xp even
    >>identifys them as GPT Protective Partitions. Theres no drive letter
    >>in xp. All the options like format are grayed out.

    >It appears that the MBR and partition table that XP sees is a dummy.
    >For a GPT disc, the real partition table is at sector 2, not sector 0,
    >and partition 1 starts at sector 34, not 63. AFAICT, if you want your
    >hard disc file systems to be visible to both XP and Vista, then you
    >will need to backup your data and repartition and reformat using NTFS.
    >
    >See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
    >
    >"The primary purpose of the MBR at the beginning of the disk is to
    >prevent MBR-based disk utilities from mis-recognizing, and possibly
    >over-writing, GPT disks. A single partition, encompassing the entire
    >GPT drive, is indicated. The System ID for the partition is set to
    >0xEE, indicating that it uses GPT. Because of this, EFI ignores the
    >MBR. Some 32-bit OSes which cannot read GPT disks nevertheless
    >recognize this ID and present the disk as an inaccessible GPT disk."
    >
    >- Franc Zabkar

    I have seen that. Drives are currently NTFS GPD. Tell me how I can
    format to regular NTFS. Drives are empty. I think I may have to
    disassemble and put drives in my pc and format from an IDE connection
    using the Samsung floppy. I'd rather not do all that.

  7. Re: Convert GPD Disk

    On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:25:09 -0400, Lisa wrote:

    >On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 07:24:33 +1100, Franc Zabkar
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 01:21:55 -0400, Lisa put
    >>finger to keyboard and composed:

    >>>I can't. In disk mgt I can see the partitions in xp. Xp even
    >>>identifys them as GPT Protective Partitions. Theres no drive letter
    >>>in xp. All the options like format are grayed out.

    >>It appears that the MBR and partition table that XP sees is a dummy.
    >>For a GPT disc, the real partition table is at sector 2, not sector 0,
    >>and partition 1 starts at sector 34, not 63. AFAICT, if you want your
    >>hard disc file systems to be visible to both XP and Vista, then you
    >>will need to backup your data and repartition and reformat using NTFS.
    >>
    >>See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table
    >>
    >>"The primary purpose of the MBR at the beginning of the disk is to
    >>prevent MBR-based disk utilities from mis-recognizing, and possibly
    >>over-writing, GPT disks. A single partition, encompassing the entire
    >>GPT drive, is indicated. The System ID for the partition is set to
    >>0xEE, indicating that it uses GPT. Because of this, EFI ignores the
    >>MBR. Some 32-bit OSes which cannot read GPT disks nevertheless
    >>recognize this ID and present the disk as an inaccessible GPT disk."
    >>
    >>- Franc Zabkar

    >I have seen that. Drives are currently NTFS GPD. Tell me how I can
    >format to regular NTFS. Drives are empty. I think I may have to
    >disassemble and put drives in my pc and format from an IDE connection
    >using the Samsung floppy. I'd rather not do all that.

    I did it! Someone in the Vista NG gave me this link
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

    Thx everyone!

  8. Re: Convert GPD Disk

    Congrats!