Consensus on Samsung HDD reliability? - Storage

This is a discussion on Consensus on Samsung HDD reliability? - Storage ; Given that there's a few data retrieval experts amongst this group I was wondering if Samsung drive reliability is any worse than other brands these days? I ask because lately I'm reading a lot of negativity about them in various ...

  1. Consensus on Samsung HDD reliability?

    Given that there's a few data retrieval experts amongst this group I was
    wondering if Samsung drive reliability is any worse than other brands these
    days?

    I ask because lately I'm reading a lot of negativity about them in various
    forums. You can generally ignore the individual complaining of the odd
    failure especially when they haven't properly checked out possible other
    causes for HDD failure like power supply problems etc. But then you have
    reports from individuals 'supposedly' in charge of X number of machines in
    an IT department etc bagging them which does hold some weight with the
    impressionable parrots running around the place repeating what they have
    read.

  2. Re: Consensus on Samsung HDD reliability?

    Groucho wrote:

    > Given that there's a few data retrieval experts amongst this group

    No there isnt.

    > I was wondering if Samsung drive reliability is any worse than other brands these days?

    No it isnt.

    And the technical term for their **** is 'pathetically inadequate sample'

    > But then you have reports from individuals 'supposedly' in charge of X number of machines in an IT department etc
    > bagging them

    Easy to claim that is the case. Hell of a lot harder to actually substantiate that claim.

    > which does hold some weight with the impressionable parrots running around the place repeating what they have read.

  3. Re: Consensus on Samsung HDD reliability?

    Previously Groucho wrote:
    > Given that there's a few data retrieval experts amongst this group I was
    > wondering if Samsung drive reliability is any worse than other brands these
    > days?

    While I am not a retrieval expert, I have an opinion ;-)

    > I ask because lately I'm reading a lot of negativity about them in various
    > forums. You can generally ignore the individual complaining of the odd
    > failure especially when they haven't properly checked out possible other
    > causes for HDD failure like power supply problems etc. But then you have
    > reports from individuals 'supposedly' in charge of X number of machines in
    > an IT department etc bagging them which does hold some weight with the
    > impressionable parrots running around the place repeating what they have
    > read.

    Generally, I think Samsung is no worse than Seagate or Hitachi.
    In fact I have had a Seagate ES arrive defect (Made in China,
    yeah!), while I have 5 Samsungs without problems.

    It is possible that their 1TB drives have issues, though, at least the
    first generation of firmware. My main supplier has the possibility to
    comment on products and the 1TB Samsungs seemingly have had more
    failures than usual in the first batch, with one person complaining
    about having the 4th replacement drive. I suppose this person has a
    different problem. Others have reported that the diagnostic tool from
    Samsung reports errors (but not for the latest firmware revision) and
    one person said, that while the Samsung tool reported errors, the full
    SMART status under Linux was fine and the his drive actually worked
    well.

    Also, none of the people posting comments actually have reported
    data-loss, which is odd. And the shop has 85 Samsung drives in stock,
    while they need to order Seagate, Hitachi and WD. It is quite possible
    that they sold several 100 Samsungs and only very few of the
    others. The Samsung also have the best price, together with WD.

    I happen to have one of the earlier 1TB Samsungs from exactly this
    source and no problems so far. Granted, it is in an external enclosure
    and has seen only 40h of use. But it has 800GB of data on it (Used for
    backup. Yes, I have a second backup.) and two full SMART selftests did
    not, so far, show any problems or problematic tendencies at all.

    Arno

  4. Re: Consensus on Samsung HDD reliability?

    "Arno Wagner" wrote in message
    > Previously Groucho wrote:
    >> Given that there's a few data retrieval experts amongst this group I was
    >> wondering if Samsung drive reliability is any worse than other brands
    >> these
    >> days?

    > While I am not a retrieval expert, I have an opinion ;-)

    And thanks to both you and Rod for taking the time to express them. :-)

+ Reply to Thread