backup problem - Storage

This is a discussion on backup problem - Storage ; (Running XP Home, and Stomp BackupMyPC software, doing a backup to file of 18gig plus in size, "all" files systems are NTFS) My backup program cannot finish it's backup to a another machine's USB drive on the network. I also ...

  1. backup problem

    (Running XP Home, and Stomp BackupMyPC software, doing a backup
    to file of 18gig plus in size, "all" files systems are NTFS)
    My backup program cannot finish it's backup to a another machine's
    USB drive on the network. I also tried doing the backup on the USB
    attached to my machine (which does work) and then doing a simple
    file manager copy to the other problem machine usb but that baulked
    with same error, "Windows was unable to save the file"
    We can access this usb drive normally but it's just a problem with
    large files. My usb will only hold one backup so I have to delete it
    before I can do another backup. I've set "all" sleep and hibernate off
    on everything, I even went into network setup and set the problem
    node to an alternate static ip address thinking the dhcp was somehow
    renewing the lease before the backup was complete. We are at the end
    of our wits with this. Everyone in the office uses this machine's USB
    for backup but only my backup is too large.
    Appreciate any comments?

  2. Re: backup problem

    Hi,

    You might find more information about this application on this other
    newsgroup:

    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    This newsgroup is targeted to Microsoft Storage technologies, there's not
    many application guys hanging out here

    Thanks
    --Malu

    --
    Malu Menezes [MSFT]
    http://blogs.technet.com/filecab

    "JG" wrote in message news:frs9iu02fod@news3.newsguy.com...
    > (Running XP Home, and Stomp BackupMyPC software, doing a backup
    > to file of 18gig plus in size, "all" files systems are NTFS)
    > My backup program cannot finish it's backup to a another machine's
    > USB drive on the network. I also tried doing the backup on the USB
    > attached to my machine (which does work) and then doing a simple
    > file manager copy to the other problem machine usb but that baulked
    > with same error, "Windows was unable to save the file"
    > We can access this usb drive normally but it's just a problem with
    > large files. My usb will only hold one backup so I have to delete it
    > before I can do another backup. I've set "all" sleep and hibernate off
    > on everything, I even went into network setup and set the problem
    > node to an alternate static ip address thinking the dhcp was somehow
    > renewing the lease before the backup was complete. We are at the end
    > of our wits with this. Everyone in the office uses this machine's USB
    > for backup but only my backup is too large.
    > Appreciate any comments?

+ Reply to Thread