backup problem - Storage

This is a discussion on backup problem - Storage ; (Running XP Home, and Stomp BackupMyPC software, doing a backup to file of 18gig plus in size, "all" files systems are NTFS) My backup program cannot finish it's backup to a another machine's USB drive on the network. I also ...

  1. backup problem

    (Running XP Home, and Stomp BackupMyPC software, doing a backup
    to file of 18gig plus in size, "all" files systems are NTFS)
    My backup program cannot finish it's backup to a another machine's
    USB drive on the network. I also tried doing the backup on the USB
    attached to my machine (which does work) and then doing a simple
    file manager copy to the other problem machine usb but that baulked
    with same error, "Windows was unable to save the file"
    We can access this usb drive normally but it's just a problem with
    large files. My usb will only hold one backup so I have to delete it
    before I can do another backup. I've set "all" sleep and hibernate off
    on everything, I even went into network setup and set the problem
    node to an alternate static ip address thinking the dhcp was somehow
    renewing the lease before the backup was complete. We are at the end
    of our wits with this. Everyone in the office uses this machine's USB
    for backup but only my backup is too large.
    Appreciate any comments?

  2. Re: backup problem

    Previously JG wrote:
    > (Running XP Home, and Stomp BackupMyPC software, doing a backup
    > to file of 18gig plus in size, "all" files systems are NTFS)
    > My backup program cannot finish it's backup to a another machine's
    > USB drive on the network.

    What error/diagnostic does it give?

    > I also tried doing the backup on the USB
    > attached to my machine (which does work) and then doing a simple
    > file manager copy to the other problem machine usb but that baulked
    > with same error, "Windows was unable to save the file"

    Ah, ok. According to Wikipedia, NTFS has a driver limit
    of 16TiB, which is roughly 1000 times larger than the file that
    gives you the error. Anyways, the problem is on the remote machine
    and you backup program is very likely not involved.

    > We can access this usb drive normally but it's just a problem with
    > large files. My usb will only hold one backup so I have to delete it
    > before I can do another backup. I've set "all" sleep and hibernate off
    > on everything, I even went into network setup and set the problem
    > node to an alternate static ip address thinking the dhcp was somehow
    > renewing the lease before the backup was complete.

    Should all be unrelated.

    > We are at the end of our wits with this. Everyone in the office uses
    > this machine's USB for backup but only my backup is too large.
    > Appreciate any comments?

    What is the OS and patchlevel on the backup machine? Maybe it
    has a 16GiB limit or even smaller. Can you write the file
    to an ionternal disk on the backup machine?

    Arno

  3. Re: backup problem

    Previously Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously JG wrote:
    >> (Running XP Home, and Stomp BackupMyPC software, doing a backup
    >> to file of 18gig plus in size, "all" files systems are NTFS)
    >> My backup program cannot finish it's backup to a another machine's
    >> USB drive on the network.

    > What error/diagnostic does it give?

    >> I also tried doing the backup on the USB
    >> attached to my machine (which does work) and then doing a simple
    >> file manager copy to the other problem machine usb but that baulked
    >> with same error, "Windows was unable to save the file"

    > Ah, ok. According to Wikipedia, NTFS has a driver limit
    > of 16TiB, which is roughly 1000 times larger than the file that
    > gives you the error. Anyways, the problem is on the remote machine
    > and you backup program is very likely not involved.

    >> We can access this usb drive normally but it's just a problem with
    >> large files. My usb will only hold one backup so I have to delete it
    >> before I can do another backup. I've set "all" sleep and hibernate off
    >> on everything, I even went into network setup and set the problem
    >> node to an alternate static ip address thinking the dhcp was somehow
    >> renewing the lease before the backup was complete.

    > Should all be unrelated.

    >> We are at the end of our wits with this. Everyone in the office uses
    >> this machine's USB for backup but only my backup is too large.
    >> Appreciate any comments?

    > What is the OS and patchlevel on the backup machine? Maybe it
    > has a 16GiB limit or even smaller. Can you write the file
    > to an ionternal disk on the backup machine?

    > Arno

    P.S.: There is a possible fix: Most backup software allows you to
    split your backup into smaller files, e.g. pieces that fit on
    a wrotable DVD. Maybe try to go to 3.5GB (works even with FAT32)
    or so file size. This should not slow down anything.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread