Fujitsu MHU2100 laptop drive failure - Storage

This is a discussion on Fujitsu MHU2100 laptop drive failure - Storage ; Coffee was spilled on the laptop keyboard. When I opened it up to clean, I found coffee between the harddrive carrier and the drive PCB. After everything was put back, the computer won't boot. The drive wasn't recognized in BIOS. ...

  1. Fujitsu MHU2100 laptop drive failure

    Coffee was spilled on the laptop keyboard. When I opened it up to
    clean, I found coffee between the harddrive carrier and the drive PCB.
    After everything was put back, the computer won't boot. The drive
    wasn't recognized in BIOS. I put it in a USB external enclosure, and
    Windows XP didn't recognize it either. The drive was working after the
    spill prior to shutdown.

    I thought the problem may be electrical as opposed to physical since
    it was working great, didn't make any weird noises, and wasn't
    dropped. So I got a replacement PCB off Ebay from the same model
    drive. It arrived today and there is no improvement. The drive spins
    up and does nothing. In the USB enclosure, the data transfer light
    blinks a few times when plugged in, then the light goes off (it stays
    on with a good drive). My question is does this kind of symptom sound
    like physical damage and I should send it in for recovery, or should I
    try another PCB since there was no guarantee the "new" PCB was good.
    The seller has guarantee against DOA and was not sold as-is, but I
    thought I'd ask the experts here before spending the big bucks for
    recovery.

  2. Re: Fujitsu MHU2100 laptop drive failure

    cl999@comcast.net schrieb:
    > Coffee was spilled on the laptop keyboard. When I opened it up to
    > clean, I found coffee between the harddrive carrier and the drive PCB.
    > After everything was put back, the computer won't boot. The drive
    > wasn't recognized in BIOS. I put it in a USB external enclosure, and
    > Windows XP didn't recognize it either. The drive was working after the
    > spill prior to shutdown.
    >
    > I thought the problem may be electrical as opposed to physical since
    > it was working great, didn't make any weird noises, and wasn't
    > dropped. So I got a replacement PCB off Ebay from the same model
    > drive. It arrived today and there is no improvement. The drive spins
    > up and does nothing. In the USB enclosure, the data transfer light
    > blinks a few times when plugged in, then the light goes off (it stays
    > on with a good drive). My question is does this kind of symptom sound
    > like physical damage and I should send it in for recovery, or should I
    > try another PCB since there was no guarantee the "new" PCB was good.
    > The seller has guarantee against DOA and was not sold as-is, but I
    > thought I'd ask the experts here before spending the big bucks for
    > recovery.

    I'll pass this on to you gently, since others here might be less restrained:
    You wouldn't be worrying about spending big bucks on recovery, had you
    previously spent little bucks and a little time on backup...

    Back to the technical issue...

  3. Re: Fujitsu MHU2100 laptop drive failure

    Previously cl999@comcast.net wrote:
    > Coffee was spilled on the laptop keyboard. When I opened it up to
    > clean, I found coffee between the harddrive carrier and the drive PCB.
    > After everything was put back, the computer won't boot. The drive
    > wasn't recognized in BIOS. I put it in a USB external enclosure, and
    > Windows XP didn't recognize it either. The drive was working after the
    > spill prior to shutdown.

    > I thought the problem may be electrical as opposed to physical since
    > it was working great, didn't make any weird noises, and wasn't
    > dropped. So I got a replacement PCB off Ebay from the same model
    > drive. It arrived today and there is no improvement. The drive spins
    > up and does nothing. In the USB enclosure, the data transfer light
    > blinks a few times when plugged in, then the light goes off (it stays
    > on with a good drive). My question is does this kind of symptom sound
    > like physical damage and I should send it in for recovery, or should I
    > try another PCB since there was no guarantee the "new" PCB was good.
    > The seller has guarantee against DOA and was not sold as-is, but I
    > thought I'd ask the experts here before spending the big bucks for
    > recovery.

    First, get some real diagnostics. "does nothing" does not cut it.
    Is it found? What is its SMART status? Any boot-up messages
    about the drive when booting Linux (e.g. Knoppix from a CD)?

    An then, backup, this elusive thing so overlooked in normal
    times, so desparately needed occasionally...

    Arno

  4. Re: Fujitsu MHU2100 laptop drive failure

    Well, it wasn't my computer and I didn't spill the coffee, but I take
    care of the computers in the house so it's partly my fault. The last
    backup was about 1 year ago.

    As for diagnostics, it's not recognized in BIOS at all. On the HP
    BIOS, there is a "HDD Self-test" option and its' not recognized there
    either. That is why I figured it was an electrical problem and not a
    physical problem. Haven't tried the LINUX route. I occasionally use
    Puppy (not on that computer) I suppose I could try that.

    Just called Ontrack, they now have a $495 photo recovery option. That
    is regardless of method required for recovery. Must better than tha
    $1000 I was expecting. Pretty smart business move on their part
    considering how many home users mostly care about pictures and don't
    backup.