"Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key" - Storage

This is a discussion on "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key" - Storage ; I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase, but then I am getting: ~ "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, ...

  1. "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"

    ~
    "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    ~
    Someone recommended to me to use knoppix (knoppix.net) in order to:
    ~
    check via dmesg that the disk are fine (which they were),
    ~
    make sure you can mount then (I could just fine), and
    ~
    run smartmoontools on it (i didn't report any problems from within
    knoppix)
    ~
    The BIOS is also see the ATA disk just fine. I even reset it to the
    defaults and it does detect the drive just fine.
    ~
    So what on earth is going on?
    ~
    How can I solve this problem?
    ~
    Thanks
    lbrtchx

  2. Re: "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"

    wrote in message
    > I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP

    You do not need to install Windows 98 to do the upgrade to Windows XP.
    Just boot from the Windows XP install CD. When it says that it cannot
    find a prior eligible version of Windows from which to upgrade, insert
    the install CD for Windows 98 and point there to continue the upgrade
    install of Windows XP.

    NOTE: lbrtchx attempted to disconnect all discussions by redirecting
    any replies via FollowUp-To to just the microsoft.public.win98.setup.
    If the other newsgroups are inappropriate for seeing replies then
    those newsgroups were also inappropriate for you to post there! As a
    result, I ignored the attempt to use FollowUp-To to disconnect the
    discussion from the other newsgroups (my response was already sent to
    the followup newsgroup and was not included in this redo of my prior
    reply). Do not cross-post to newsgroups and then use the FollowUp-To
    header to disconnect those discussions. You may have selected one
    newsgroups as your favorite home newsgroup but that doesn't mean the
    respondents want to visit there. FollowUp-To is used by spammers and
    malcontents.

  3. Re: "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"

    Most likely your partition table or boot sector is incorrect.
    Delete any partitions, boot the XP CD to partition and format.

    wrote in message
    > I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP
    > on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase, but
    > then I am getting:
    > ~
    > "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    > ~

  4. Re: "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage lbrtchx@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP
    > on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase, but
    > then I am getting:
    > ~
    > "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    > ~
    > Someone recommended to me to use knoppix (knoppix.net) in order to:
    > ~
    > check via dmesg that the disk are fine (which they were),
    > ~
    > make sure you can mount then (I could just fine), and
    > ~
    > run smartmoontools on it (i didn't report any problems from within
    > knoppix)
    > ~
    > The BIOS is also see the ATA disk just fine. I even reset it to the
    > defaults and it does detect the drive just fine.
    > ~
    > So what on earth is going on?
    > ~
    > How can I solve this problem?
    > ~
    > Thanks
    > lbrtchx

    Just an idea: "replace disk and ..." usually refers only to
    removeble media, specifically the floppy, or maybe a CD.

    Arno

  5. Re: "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"

    Arno Wagner "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage lbrtchx@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I am trying to install Windows 98 as a way to then upgrade it to XP
    >> on a box and it goes fine through the first installation phase, but
    >> then I am getting:
    >> ~
    >> "Disk I/O Error" "Replace the disk, and then press any key"
    >> ~
    >> Someone recommended to me to use knoppix (knoppix.net) in order to:
    >> ~
    >> check via dmesg that the disk are fine (which they were),
    >> ~
    >> make sure you can mount then (I could just fine), and
    >> ~
    >> run smartmoontools on it (i didn't report any problems from within
    >> knoppix)
    >> ~
    >> The BIOS is also see the ATA disk just fine. I even reset it to the
    >> defaults and it does detect the drive just fine.
    >> ~
    >> So what on earth is going on?
    >> ~
    >> How can I solve this problem?
    >> ~
    >> Thanks
    >> lbrtchx

    > Just an idea: "replace disk and ..." usually refers only to
    > removeble media, specifically the floppy, or maybe a CD.
    >
    > Arno

    That's what I told the OP 3 hours ago.

    --
    Your mother was a canophilic vegetable who campaigned for the harlots'
    union on a small island in the middle of nowhere.

+ Reply to Thread