File Serve Resource Manager - Storage

This is a discussion on File Serve Resource Manager - Storage ; Hello I have some questions about using the file server resource manager in 2003 R2. I want to set up a quota on users' home directories which is located in e:\homes\* 1) When applying quota of 500 MB on E:\homes\, ...

  1. File Serve Resource Manager

    Hello

    I have some questions about using the file server resource manager in 2003 R2.
    I want to set up a quota on users' home directories which is located in
    e:\homes\*

    1) When applying quota of 500 MB on E:\homes\, the quota of 500 MB, is it
    for the whole c:\homes\ folder or is the quota for each individual sub-folder
    (user's actual home directory) when you select = auto-apply template and
    create quotas on existing and new subfolders option when creating the quota.

    I want it to have the quota applied to each sub-directory (user's actual
    home directory) (ex) E:\homes\jsmith, E:\homes\jdoe) and not the whole
    E:\homes. I don't want it to trigger an alert when the whole E:\homes
    exceeds 500 MB b/c it already is bigger than that and I only want it to alert
    when a user's home folder E:\homes\username goes over the 500 MB quota limit.

    2) If email to user and not the administrator is selected when it goes over
    the quota limit , how does it know what email address to send the alert to?
    ex) the user is jsmith, how does it know to send an email to
    jsmith@domainname?
    fyi, we don't use exchange in our environment if that matters.

    3) When it emails the user when the quota is exceeded, does it track the
    quota by the ownership of the files?

  2. Re: File Serve Resource Manager

    Hi Gira,

    Hope I can answer all your questions.

    1) Yes, When you create with auto-apply template option selected then it
    will create individual quotas for each folder and tracks quota usage for
    each folder seperately.
    2) I believe in this case email is sent to the user who was trying to write
    to a file which caused the email to be triggered.
    3) No, quota is tracked for all files under the parent folder. In this case
    ownership of the file is not considered.

    Thanks,
    Bharath.

    "gira" wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have some questions about using the file server resource manager in 2003
    > R2.
    > I want to set up a quota on users' home directories which is located in
    > e:\homes\*
    >
    > 1) When applying quota of 500 MB on E:\homes\, the quota of 500 MB, is it
    > for the whole c:\homes\ folder or is the quota for each individual
    > sub-folder
    > (user's actual home directory) when you select = auto-apply template and
    > create quotas on existing and new subfolders option when creating the
    > quota.
    >
    > I want it to have the quota applied to each sub-directory (user's actual
    > home directory) (ex) E:\homes\jsmith, E:\homes\jdoe) and not the whole
    > E:\homes. I don't want it to trigger an alert when the whole E:\homes
    > exceeds 500 MB b/c it already is bigger than that and I only want it to
    > alert
    > when a user's home folder E:\homes\username goes over the 500 MB quota
    > limit.
    >

    > 2) If email to user and not the administrator is selected when it goes
    > over
    > the quota limit , how does it know what email address to send the alert
    > to?
    > ex) the user is jsmith, how does it know to send an email to
    > jsmith@domainname?
    > fyi, we don't use exchange in our environment if that matters.
    >
    > 3) When it emails the user when the quota is exceeded, does it track the
    > quota by the ownership of the files?

+ Reply to Thread