File Server Resource Manager in 2003 R2 - Storage

This is a discussion on File Server Resource Manager in 2003 R2 - Storage ; Hello I have some questions about using the file server resource manager in 2003 R2. I want to set up a quota on users' home directories which is located in e:\homes\* 1) When applying quota of 500 MB on E:\homes\, ...

  1. File Server Resource Manager in 2003 R2

    Hello

    I have some questions about using the file server resource manager in 2003 R2.
    I want to set up a quota on users' home directories which is located in
    e:\homes\*

    1) When applying quota of 500 MB on E:\homes\, the quota of 500 MB, is it
    for the whole c:\homes\ folder or is the quota for each individual sub-folder
    (user's actual home directory) when you select = auto-apply template and
    create quotas on existing and new subfolders option when creating the quota.

    I want it to have the quota applied to each sub-directory (user's actual
    home directory) (ex) E:\homes\jsmith, E:\homes\jdoe) and not the whole
    E:\homes. I don't want it to trigger an alert when the whole E:\homes
    exceeds 500 MB b/c it already is bigger than that and I only want it to alert
    when a user's home folder E:\homes\username goes over the 500 MB quota limit.

    2) If email to user and not the administrator is selected when it goes over
    the quota limit , how does it know what email address to send the alert to?
    ex) the user is jsmith, how does it know to send an email to
    jsmith@domainname?
    fyi, we don't use exchange in our environment if that matters.

    3) When it emails the user when the quota is exceeded, does it track the
    quota by the ownership of the files?

  2. Re: File Server Resource Manager in 2003 R2

    I think I can help with question 3

    3) When it emails the user when the quota is exceeded, does it track the
    quota by the ownership of the files?

    Yes, by ownership. So in order to release space, the user must either delete
    the files or transfer the ownership to another user.

    You can find more info here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...03/quotas.mspx

    --
    Malu Menezes [MSFT]
    http://blogs.technet.com/filecab

    "gira" wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have some questions about using the file server resource manager in 2003
    > R2.
    > I want to set up a quota on users' home directories which is located in
    > e:\homes\*
    >
    > 1) When applying quota of 500 MB on E:\homes\, the quota of 500 MB, is it
    > for the whole c:\homes\ folder or is the quota for each individual
    > sub-folder
    > (user's actual home directory) when you select = auto-apply template and
    > create quotas on existing and new subfolders option when creating the
    > quota.
    >
    > I want it to have the quota applied to each sub-directory (user's actual
    > home directory) (ex) E:\homes\jsmith, E:\homes\jdoe) and not the whole
    > E:\homes. I don't want it to trigger an alert when the whole E:\homes
    > exceeds 500 MB b/c it already is bigger than that and I only want it to
    > alert
    > when a user's home folder E:\homes\username goes over the 500 MB quota
    > limit.
    >

    > 2) If email to user and not the administrator is selected when it goes
    > over
    > the quota limit , how does it know what email address to send the alert
    > to?
    > ex) the user is jsmith, how does it know to send an email to
    > jsmith@domainname?
    > fyi, we don't use exchange in our environment if that matters.
    >
    > 3) When it emails the user when the quota is exceeded, does it track the
    > quota by the ownership of the files?

  3. Re: File Server Resource Manager in 2003 R2

    Oops, wrong component!

    Sorry, I was thinking about NTFS Disk Quota.

    Bharath's answer is the correct one.

    --Malu

+ Reply to Thread