Corrupt Backup - Storage

This is a discussion on Corrupt Backup - Storage ; Hi. A customer came into the store the other day with a Toshiba external 400 GB Harddrive and had a problem I've never encountered before. He had done a backup of his photos using the backup software that came along ...

  1. Corrupt Backup

    Hi.
    A customer came into the store the other day with a Toshiba external
    400 GB Harddrive and had a problem I've never encountered before.

    He had done a backup of his photos using the backup software that came
    along with the harddrive.
    Since I am at home while writing this and not at work I can't quite
    remember the name of the software but I will update the post once I get
    back to work on Monday.

    Anyway... This software compressed his photo folder in 14 .RIM files.
    According to the manual you are supposed to be able to simply extract
    these .RIM files using the backup software to restore a backup.

    However we aren't able to load the .RIM files using the software at
    all.
    We've tried opening the files using the software, Tried browsing to the
    files, Tried restoring backups and do everything the manual had to
    offer.

    We've even been in contact with the Toshiba Technical Support who had
    no idea what a .RIM file even was. (WTF?!)

    I've never encountered this issue before and neither has my colleagues
    at work.

    Anyone has any idea how to restore the backup files or another way of
    extracting a .RIM file? We've tried using a few different zip programs,
    Winzip and Winrar being two of them with no success.

  2. Re: Corrupt Backup

    It seems that .rim files are generated by the Regen backup application from
    OnSpec:

    http://www.onspecinc.com/

    (I didn't know this, but Google did.)

    There's a patch available for download for a Toshiba version, but I see no
    documentation as to what it fixes. Maybe it'd be worth installing.

    I expect (but I don't know) that the backup archive format is proprietary.

    Good luck.

    Return address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

    "Animenia" wrote in message

    > Hi.
    > A customer came into the store the other day with a Toshiba external
    > 400 GB Harddrive and had a problem I've never encountered before.
    >
    > He had done a backup of his photos using the backup software that came
    > along with the harddrive.
    > Since I am at home while writing this and not at work I can't quite
    > remember the name of the software but I will update the post once I get
    > back to work on Monday.
    >
    > Anyway... This software compressed his photo folder in 14 .RIM files.
    > According to the manual you are supposed to be able to simply extract
    > these .RIM files using the backup software to restore a backup.
    >
    > However we aren't able to load the .RIM files using the software at
    > all.
    > We've tried opening the files using the software, Tried browsing to the
    > files, Tried restoring backups and do everything the manual had to
    > offer.
    >
    > We've even been in contact with the Toshiba Technical Support who had
    > no idea what a .RIM file even was. (WTF?!)
    >
    > I've never encountered this issue before and neither has my colleagues
    > at work.
    >
    > Anyone has any idea how to restore the backup files or another way of
    > extracting a .RIM file? We've tried using a few different zip programs,
    > Winzip and Winrar being two of them with no success.

  3. Re: Corrupt Backup

    Thanks, Will give it a try tomorrow morning when I get to work

  4. Re: Corrupt Backup

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:42:24 -0500, Animenia
    put finger to keyboard and
    composed:

    >A customer came into the store the other day with a Toshiba external
    >400 GB Harddrive and had a problem I've never encountered before.
    >
    >He had done a backup of his photos using the backup software that came
    >along with the harddrive.

    >Anyway... This software compressed his photo folder in 14 .RIM files.
    >According to the manual you are supposed to be able to simply extract
    >these .RIM files using the backup software to restore a backup.
    >
    >However we aren't able to load the .RIM files using the software at
    >all.

    Try viewing the .RIM files with a hex editor. I suspect that the
    individual photo files may have been incompressible GIFs or JPEGs. If
    you are lucky, then your backup software may simply have added these
    files to the .RIM archive without further compression, in which case
    you may be able to extract the individual sections with your hex
    editor. Look for GIF89 or JFIF signatures.

    To make it easier for others to help you, you might like to backup a
    small test JPEG or GIF to a .RIM file, and then upload this .RIM to
    your web space.

    - Franc Zabkar