Complete HD copying - Storage

This is a discussion on Complete HD copying - Storage ; This might not be the right newsgroup to ask this question. (If so, perhaps someone will point me in the right direction.) Suppose I want to make a complete copy of a hard disk, including the fragments of deleted files. ...

  1. Complete HD copying

    This might not be the right newsgroup to ask this question. (If so, perhaps
    someone will point me in the right direction.)

    Suppose I want to make a complete copy of a hard disk, including the
    fragments of deleted files. Does this require some special process, or will
    an ordinary mirror image copying (like Ghost) do the trick?

    If a special process is required, how expensive is it?

    Thx

  2. Re: Complete HD copying

    Previously Rob Dale wrote:
    > This might not be the right newsgroup to ask this question. (If so, perhaps
    > someone will point me in the right direction.)

    > Suppose I want to make a complete copy of a hard disk, including the
    > fragments of deleted files. Does this require some special process, or will
    > an ordinary mirror image copying (like Ghost) do the trick?

    They do usually only copy allocated space. Some may have an option to
    copy everything.

    > If a special process is required, how expensive is it?

    Zero. Burn a knoppix CD-only Linux and use dd_rescue (in a
    shell) to copy:

    dd_rescue

    If source is a partition, you should create target before using
    fdisk/cfdisk/sfdisk in the same size or larger. If it is a whole
    disk, make sure target has at least the same number of bytse
    source has (a, e.g., 200GB disk mau be a bit larger or smaller
    than an different model 200GB disk).

    To see what you have in diesks you can use "fdisk -l".
    To see the structure of an individual disk, you can use
    "fdisk -l IDE disk, "fdisk -l /dev/sdb" for the second SATA disk,
    etc.

    Arno

  3. Re: Complete HD copying

    Rob Dale wrote:

    > This might not be the right newsgroup to ask this question.

    It is the right group.

    > (If so, perhaps someone will point me in the right direction.)

    > Suppose I want to make a complete copy of a hard disk, including the
    > fragments of deleted files. Does this require some special process,
    > or will an ordinary mirror image copying (like Ghost) do the trick?

    You do need to tell Ghost to do a sector copy, by default it wont copy free space.

    > If a special process is required, how expensive is it?

    Any forensic cloner will do it, they dont cost that much.

  4. Re: Complete HD copying

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > You do need to tell Ghost to do a sector copy, by default it wont copy free space.

    Latest version of True Image can do a sector copy too now.

  5. Re: Complete HD copying

    Backspace wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >> You do need to tell Ghost to do a sector copy, by default it wont copy free space.

    > Latest version of True Image can do a sector copy too now.

    Yeah, he asked about Ghost specifically tho.

+ Reply to Thread