Neophyte question about Raid 1 - Storage

This is a discussion on Neophyte question about Raid 1 - Storage ; I am a bit anal when it comes to backing up my system, because I HATE reinstalling and updating the OS, all applications, and then getting the system back to the way I want it. I create a Ghost image ...

  1. Neophyte question about Raid 1

    I am a bit anal when it comes to backing up my system, because I HATE
    reinstalling and updating the OS, all applications, and then getting
    the system back to the way I want it. I create a Ghost image of my
    boot drive at least twice a month, creating the Ghost file on two
    different external USB drives (in case one of the USB drives fails, as
    one of mine did not long ago.) I'm considering getting one of the two-
    drive external enclosures that can be configured as RAID 1 (such as
    the SimpleTech Duo Pro line). Would this give me the same peace of
    mind as having backups on two separate drives? I know that if one of
    the two drives fails, the remaining one remains functional, and I can
    replace the failed drive and it will be rebuilt. What if the
    enclosure's electronics fail? Can I remove a drive and put it into a
    different, non-RAID enclosure and access it?

    Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

    Jack

  2. Re: Neophyte question about Raid 1

    Cactus Jack wrote:

    > I am a bit anal when it comes to backing up my system, because
    > I HATE reinstalling and updating the OS, all applications, and then
    > getting the system back to the way I want it. I create a Ghost
    > image of my boot drive at least twice a month, creating the Ghost
    > file on two different external USB drives (in case one of the USB
    > drives fails, as one of mine did not long ago.) I'm considering getting
    > one of the two- drive external enclosures that can be configured as
    > RAID 1 (such as the SimpleTech Duo Pro line). Would this give me
    > the same peace of mind as having backups on two separate drives?

    Nope, most obviously when the power supply dies and kills both
    drives, the box gets stolen along with the system its backing up,
    the house burns down, or disappears under the water etc etc etc.

    > I know that if one of the two drives fails, the remaining one
    > remains functional, and I can replace the failed drive and
    > it will be rebuilt. What if the enclosure's electronics fail?

    That can kill both drives.

    > Can I remove a drive and put it into a different, non-RAID enclosure and access it?

    Usually.

  3. Re: Neophyte question about Raid 1

    Rod Speed wrote in news:63qo7qF28nisvU1@mid.individual.net
    > Cactus Jack wrote:
    >
    > > I am a bit anal when it comes to backing up my system, because
    > > I HATE reinstalling and updating the OS, all applications, and then
    > > getting the system back to the way I want it. I create a Ghost
    > > image of my boot drive at least twice a month, creating the Ghost
    > > file on two different external USB drives (in case one of the USB
    > > drives fails, as one of mine did not long ago.)

    > > I'm considering getting one of the two- drive external enclosures that
    > > can be configured as RAID 1 (such as the SimpleTech Duo Proline).
    > > Would this give me the same peace of mind as having backups on two
    > > separate drives?

    > Nope, most obviously when the power supply dies and kills both drives,

    Like that doesn't happen when "having backups on two separate drives".

    > > the box gets stolen along with the system its backing up,

    Like that doesn't happen when "having backups on two separate drives".

    > the house burns down, or disappears under the water etc etc etc.

    Like that doesn't happen when "having backups on two separate drives".

    > > I know that if one of the two drives fails, the remaining one
    > > remains functional, and I can replace the failed drive and
    > > it will be rebuilt. What if the enclosure's electronics fail?

    > That can kill both drives.

    Like that doesn't happen when "having backups on two separate drives".

    > > Can I remove a drive and put it into a different, non-RAID enclosure
    > > and access it?

    > Usually.

    Rather depends on the enclosure's RAID implementation.

  4. Re: Neophyte question about Raid 1

    Some gutless ****wit pseudokraut desperatey cowering behind
    Stretch wrote

    Corse it doesnt with two separate USB external drives, ****wit.

    >>> the box gets stolen along with the system its backing up,

    > Like that doesn't happen when "having backups on two separate drives".

    Corse it doesnt when you have enough sense to keep one
    of the USB external drives separate from the rest, ****wit.

    of the USB external drives separate out of the house, ****wit.

    >>> I know that if one of the two drives fails, the remaining one
    >>> remains functional, and I can replace the failed drive and
    >>> it will be rebuilt. What if the enclosure's electronics fail?

    >> That can kill both drives.

    > Like that doesn't happen when "having backups on two separate drives".

    Corse it doesnt with two separate USB external drives, ****wit.

    >>> Can I remove a drive and put it into a different, non-RAID enclosure and access it?

    >> Usually.

    > Rather depends on the enclosure's RAID implementation.

    Thats why I said usually and not always, ****wit.

  5. Re: Neophyte question about Raid 1

    On Mar 12, 10:09 am, Cactus Jack wrote:
    > I am a bit anal when it comes to backing up my system, because I HATE
    > reinstalling and updating the OS, all applications, and then getting
    > the system back to the way I want it. I create a Ghost image of my
    > boot drive at least twice a month, creating the Ghost file on two
    > different external USB drives (in case one of the USB drives fails, as
    > one of mine did not long ago.) I'm considering getting one of the two-
    > drive external enclosures that can be configured as RAID 1 (such as
    > the SimpleTech Duo Pro line). Would this give me the same peace of
    > mind as having backups on two separate drives? I know that if one of
    > the two drives fails, the remaining one remains functional, and I can
    > replace the failed drive and it will be rebuilt. What if the
    > enclosure's electronics fail? Can I remove a drive and put it into a
    > different, non-RAID enclosure and access it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for enlightening me.
    >
    > Jack

    So.....getting back to my original topic. I guess my question is, ALL
    ELSE BEING EQUAL, would backing up to a RAID 1 array be as
    "comfortable" as backing up to two separate drives?

    Jack

  6. Re: Neophyte question about Raid 1

    Cactus Jack wrote:
    > On Mar 12, 10:09 am, Cactus Jack wrote:
    >> I am a bit anal when it comes to backing up my system, because I HATE
    >> reinstalling and updating the OS, all applications, and then getting
    >> the system back to the way I want it. I create a Ghost image of my
    >> boot drive at least twice a month, creating the Ghost file on two
    >> different external USB drives (in case one of the USB drives fails,
    >> as one of mine did not long ago.) I'm considering getting one of
    >> the two- drive external enclosures that can be configured as RAID 1
    >> (such as the SimpleTech Duo Pro line). Would this give me the same
    >> peace of mind as having backups on two separate drives? I know that
    >> if one of the two drives fails, the remaining one remains
    >> functional, and I can replace the failed drive and it will be
    >> rebuilt. What if the enclosure's electronics fail? Can I remove a
    >> drive and put it into a different, non-RAID enclosure and access it?

    >> Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

    > So.....getting back to my original topic. I guess my question is, ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL,

    But it cant be equal, most obviously because its much harder to move one
    of the drives offsite for the best protection against theft, fire and flood.

    Thats completely trivial with a pair of USB external drives used as the
    destination for the backups, and not as easy with any RAID1 config.

    Even with the RAID1 drives in removable bays in the box the RAID1 is
    done in isnt as convenient as just safely removing an external USB drive,
    and there is a small possibility of the power supply failure killing both drives
    and some software ****up propagating bad data to both drives at once etc.

    > would backing up to a RAID 1 array be as "comfortable" as backing up to two separate drives?

    Corse not.

  7. Re: Neophyte question about Raid 1

    Cactus Jack schrieb:
    > On Mar 12, 10:09 am, Cactus Jack wrote:
    >> I am a bit anal when it comes to backing up my system, because I HATE
    >> reinstalling and updating the OS, all applications, and then getting
    >> the system back to the way I want it. I create a Ghost image of my
    >> boot drive at least twice a month, creating the Ghost file on two
    >> different external USB drives (in case one of the USB drives fails, as
    >> one of mine did not long ago.) I'm considering getting one of the two-
    >> drive external enclosures that can be configured as RAID 1 (such as
    >> the SimpleTech Duo Pro line). Would this give me the same peace of
    >> mind as having backups on two separate drives? I know that if one of
    >> the two drives fails, the remaining one remains functional, and I can
    >> replace the failed drive and it will be rebuilt. What if the
    >> enclosure's electronics fail? Can I remove a drive and put it into a
    >> different, non-RAID enclosure and access it?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for enlightening me.
    >>
    >> Jack

    > So.....getting back to my original topic. I guess my question is, ALL
    > ELSE BEING EQUAL, would backing up to a RAID 1 array be as
    > "comfortable" as backing up to two separate drives?
    >
    > Jack

    That depends on what you want to protect your data against. If you're
    only concerned about hardware failure, either option will work. The raid
    might be a bit more comfortable since you only copy your files once...

    If you want offsite storage (as mentioned above, in case something bad
    happens to the place you live in) you could backup to two USB discs,
    store one of them offsite and then do daily backups to the local disc,
    exchanging the two discs every other day or week, depending on how up to
    date you need your backup files to be.

    Jesco

+ Reply to Thread