RAID out of space (serveRAID controller card) - Storage

This is a discussion on RAID out of space (serveRAID controller card) - Storage ; My server storage is getting out of space.I want to add 2 new hard disks to the RAID.does anyone encounter this problem? --------------------------- my server information: OS:WINDOWS SERVER 2000 hardware: 1.IBM SERVER XSeries 235 type 8671 2.serveRAID 6M controller card ...

  1. RAID out of space (serveRAID controller card)

    ---------------------------
    my server information:

    OS:WINDOWS SERVER 2000

    hardware:
    1.IBM SERVER XSeries 235 type 8671
    2.serveRAID 6M controller card
    3.four 150GB hard disk

    RAID :
    one RAID 5 with four 150GB hard disk

    PARTITION:
    one logical hard disk is partitioned to one COS) and one Ddatabase
    data)

    ---------------------------
    anyone knows

    1.if serveRAID 6M controller card is accepted to install six 150GB
    hard disk in total?
    2.if serveRAID 6M controller card can be installed with 2 new 150GB
    hard disk without demaging the original data?

    THX!!

    regards,
    manuel

  2. Re: RAID out of space (serveRAID controller card)

    Previously manuel3026@gmail.com wrote:

    > My server storage is getting out of space.I want to add 2 new hard
    > disks to the RAID.does anyone encounter this problem?

    > ---------------------------
    > my server information:

    > OS:WINDOWS SERVER 2000

    > hardware:
    > 1.IBM SERVER XSeries 235 type 8671
    > 2.serveRAID 6M controller card
    > 3.four 150GB hard disk

    > RAID :
    > one RAID 5 with four 150GB hard disk

    > PARTITION:
    > one logical hard disk is partitioned to one COS) and one Ddatabase
    > data)

    > ---------------------------
    > anyone knows

    > 1.if serveRAID 6M controller card is accepted to install six 150GB
    > hard disk in total?
    > 2.if serveRAID 6M controller card can be installed with 2 new 150GB
    > hard disk without demaging the original data?

    Here is an alternative suggestion:

    Get a RAID1 card and two 750GB or 1TB drives.
    Advangates: Current hardware and easy migration, as you can just
    copy the data over. No need for risky enlarge
    operations. You can even keep your system on the old
    disks, if you want.

    Disadvantage: More expensive.

    Arno

  3. Re: RAID out of space (serveRAID controller card)

    Hi!

    manuel3026@gmail.com wrote:
    > My server storage is getting out of space.I want to add 2 new hard
    > disks to the RAID.does anyone encounter this problem?
    >
    > ---------------------------
    > my server information:
    >
    > OS:WINDOWS SERVER 2000
    >
    > hardware:
    > 1.IBM SERVER XSeries 235 type 8671
    > 2.serveRAID 6M controller card
    > 3.four 150GB hard disk
    >
    > RAID :
    > one RAID 5 with four 150GB hard disk
    >
    > PARTITION:
    > one logical hard disk is partitioned to one COS) and one Ddatabase
    > data)
    >
    > ---------------------------
    > anyone knows
    >
    > 1.if serveRAID 6M controller card is accepted to install six 150GB
    > hard disk in total?

    Without any problem.

    > 2.if serveRAID 6M controller card can be installed with 2 new 150GB
    > hard disk without demaging the original data?

    Of course it can, also online, but do you need new array / partition or
    you want to extend existing partitions?

    The most limiting factor here is windows OS, cause if you want even to
    expand existing arrays (I think that 6M is capable of doing that online,
    check SR manager) you will still have a lot of problems with windows OS.

    Best regards,

    Iggy

+ Reply to Thread