Reallocating bad sectors skipped - quantum fireball drive - Storage

This is a discussion on Reallocating bad sectors skipped - quantum fireball drive - Storage ; Hello, A PC has an IDE Quantum Fireball Plus AS 30 Gb drive which has developed 2 bad sectors. I used the Seagate's Seatools (DOS version) to diagnose and repair the drive. After the "Full Scan" finished, I have the ...

  1. Reallocating bad sectors skipped - quantum fireball drive

    Hello,

    A PC has an IDE Quantum Fireball Plus AS 30 Gb drive which has
    developed 2 bad sectors.

    I used the Seagate's Seatools (DOS version) to diagnose and repair the
    drive.

    After the "Full Scan" finished, I have the following log :

    Full Diagnostic Scan Result: Failed

    The Following Sectors MAY be damaged
    ------------------------------------
    LBA: 6316960
    STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    USAGE: Not Resolved

    LBA: 16875715
    STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    USAGE: Not Resolved

    My question : why is the reallocation skipped ? I didn't found any
    option settings in the program..

    What can I do to have these bad sectors reallocation successful ?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Reallocating bad sectors skipped - quantum fireball drive

    Louis wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > A PC has an IDE Quantum Fireball Plus AS 30 Gb drive which has
    > developed 2 bad sectors.
    >
    > I used the Seagate's Seatools (DOS version) to diagnose and repair the
    > drive.
    >
    > After the "Full Scan" finished, I have the following log :
    >
    > Full Diagnostic Scan Result: Failed
    >
    > The Following Sectors MAY be damaged
    > ------------------------------------
    > LBA: 6316960
    > STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    > USAGE: Not Resolved
    >
    > LBA: 16875715
    > STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    > USAGE: Not Resolved
    >

    > My question : why is the reallocation skipped ?

    That program is a steaming turd.

    > I didn't found any option settings in the program..

    > What can I do to have these bad sectors reallocation successful ?

    The drive itself will do that if that is appropriate. You can force
    it to do what is appropriate be rewriting to those two areas.

  3. Re: Reallocating bad sectors skipped - quantum fireball drive

    Rod Speed a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
    > Louis wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> A PC has an IDE Quantum Fireball Plus AS 30 Gb drive which has
    >> developed 2 bad sectors.
    >>
    >> I used the Seagate's Seatools (DOS version) to diagnose and repair the
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> After the "Full Scan" finished, I have the following log :
    >>
    >> Full Diagnostic Scan Result: Failed
    >>
    >> The Following Sectors MAY be damaged
    >> ------------------------------------
    >> LBA: 6316960
    >> STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    >> USAGE: Not Resolved
    >>
    >> LBA: 16875715
    >> STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    >> USAGE: Not Resolved
    >>
    >> My question : why is the reallocation skipped ?

    > That program is a steaming turd.
    >
    >> I didn't found any option settings in the program..

    >> What can I do to have these bad sectors reallocation successful ?

    > The drive itself will do that if that is appropriate. You can force
    > it to do what is appropriate be rewriting to those two areas.

    Thanks for your reply,

    Can you be more specific on how to perform this ?

    I guess I need a disk editor tool ? Any recommendation ?

    Will this tool be able to "understand" LBA: 6316960 or will I need to
    indicate the corresponding C H S ?

    If the disk is "forced" this way, will I be able to perform a disk
    image without my imaging software failing because of bad sectors ?

    Thanks again.

  4. Re: Reallocating bad sectors skipped - quantum fireball drive

    Louis wrote:
    > Rod Speed a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :
    >> Louis wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> A PC has an IDE Quantum Fireball Plus AS 30 Gb drive which has
    >>> developed 2 bad sectors.
    >>>
    >>> I used the Seagate's Seatools (DOS version) to diagnose and repair
    >>> the drive.
    >>>
    >>> After the "Full Scan" finished, I have the following log :
    >>>
    >>> Full Diagnostic Scan Result: Failed
    >>>
    >>> The Following Sectors MAY be damaged
    >>> ------------------------------------
    >>> LBA: 6316960
    >>> STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    >>> USAGE: Not Resolved
    >>>
    >>> LBA: 16875715
    >>> STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    >>> USAGE: Not Resolved
    >>>
    >>> My question : why is the reallocation skipped ?

    >> That program is a steaming turd.
    >>
    >>> I didn't found any option settings in the program..

    >>> What can I do to have these bad sectors reallocation successful ?

    >> The drive itself will do that if that is appropriate. You can force
    >> it to do what is appropriate be rewriting to those two areas.

    > Thanks for your reply,

    > Can you be more specific on how to perform this ?

    Depends on whether care about any of the data on the drive.

    If you dont, just write zeros thru the entire drive.

    Hitachi's DFT can do that and plenty of others can too.

    > I guess I need a disk editor tool ?

    Nope, not if you dont care about the data on the drive.

    > Any recommendation ?

    Not for that particular approach.

    > Will this tool be able to "understand" LBA: 6316960 or will I need to indicate the corresponding C H S ?

    Not if you just want to write zeros thru the entire drive.

    > If the disk is "forced" this way, will I be able to perform a disk image without my imaging software failing because
    > of bad sectors ?

    Yep, if you can get those two sectors reallocated, that will fix that problem.

  5. Re: Reallocating bad sectors skipped - quantum fireball drive

    Rod Speed vient de nous annoncer :
    > Louis wrote:
    >> Rod Speed a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :

    >>> That program is a steaming turd.

    >>> The drive itself will do that if that is appropriate. You can force
    >>> it to do what is appropriate be rewriting to those two areas.

    >> Thanks for your reply,

    >> Can you be more specific on how to perform this ?

    > Depends on whether care about any of the data on the drive.
    >
    > If you dont, just write zeros thru the entire drive.
    >
    > Hitachi's DFT can do that and plenty of others can too.
    >
    >> I guess I need a disk editor tool ?

    > Nope, not if you dont care about the data on the drive.

    >> Any recommendation ?

    > Not for that particular approach.
    >
    >> Will this tool be able to "understand" LBA: 6316960 or will I need to
    >> indicate the corresponding C H S ?

    > Not if you just want to write zeros thru the entire drive.
    >
    >> If the disk is "forced" this way, will I be able to perform a disk image
    >> without my imaging software failing because of bad sectors ?

    > Yep, if you can get those two sectors reallocated, that will fix that
    > problem.

    Is there a way to do the reallocation of the bad sectors without
    zeroing the whole disk first ?

    Thanks.

  6. Re: Reallocating bad sectors skipped - quantum fireball drive

    Louis wrote:
    > Rod Speed vient de nous annoncer :
    >> Louis wrote:
    >>> Rod Speed a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :

    >>> Thanks for your reply,

    >>> Can you be more specific on how to perform this ?

    >> Depends on whether care about any of the data on the drive.
    >>
    >> If you dont, just write zeros thru the entire drive.
    >>
    >> Hitachi's DFT can do that and plenty of others can too.
    >>
    >>> I guess I need a disk editor tool ?

    >> Nope, not if you dont care about the data on the drive.

    >>> Any recommendation ?

    >> Not for that particular approach.
    >>
    >>> Will this tool be able to "understand" LBA: 6316960 or will I need
    >>> to indicate the corresponding C H S ?

    >> Not if you just want to write zeros thru the entire drive.
    >>
    >>> If the disk is "forced" this way, will I be able to perform a disk
    >>> image without my imaging software failing because of bad sectors ?

    >> Yep, if you can get those two sectors reallocated, that will fix that
    >> problem.

    > Is there a way to do the reallocation of the bad sectors without zeroing the whole disk first ?

    Yes, you can just write to those sectors.

    Its non trivial to work out which files those sectors are in,
    but if you can work that out, you can just rewrite those files.

    If those sectors are in free space, you can just fill the drive with crap and then delete the crap.

  7. Re: Reallocating bad sectors skipped - quantum fireball drive

    On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 18:54:36 -0400, Louis put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Hello,
    >
    >A PC has an IDE Quantum Fireball Plus AS 30 Gb drive which has
    >developed 2 bad sectors.
    >
    >I used the Seagate's Seatools (DOS version) to diagnose and repair the
    >drive.
    >
    >After the "Full Scan" finished, I have the following log :
    >
    > Full Diagnostic Scan Result: Failed
    >
    > The Following Sectors MAY be damaged
    > ------------------------------------
    > LBA: 6316960
    > STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    > USAGE: Not Resolved
    >
    > LBA: 16875715
    > STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    > USAGE: Not Resolved
    >

    >My question : why is the reallocation skipped ? I didn't found any
    >option settings in the program..
    >
    >What can I do to have these bad sectors reallocation successful ?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Run a file system repair tool such as Scandisk or Chkdsk with a full
    surface scan. Any file that contains an unreadable sector should be
    identified during a read test, and any bad sector in free space should
    automatically be corrected by the drive during a write test. If you
    delete the damaged files and replace them with good copies, then any
    bad sectors in the space that is vacated will be reallocated (or
    retested and recovered) next time they are written to by the OS. A
    defrag will probably result in your bad sectors being identified
    and/or reallocated, if they are within your file area rather than at
    the tail end of your drive.

    - Franc Zabkar

  8. Re: Reallocating bad sectors skipped - quantum fireball drive

    Franc Zabkar avait prétendu :
    > On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 18:54:36 -0400, Louis put
    > finger to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> A PC has an IDE Quantum Fireball Plus AS 30 Gb drive which has
    >> developed 2 bad sectors.
    >>
    >> I used the Seagate's Seatools (DOS version) to diagnose and repair the
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> After the "Full Scan" finished, I have the following log :
    >>
    >> Full Diagnostic Scan Result: Failed
    >>
    >> The Following Sectors MAY be damaged
    >> ------------------------------------
    >> LBA: 6316960
    >> STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    >> USAGE: Not Resolved
    >>
    >> LBA: 16875715
    >> STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    >> USAGE: Not Resolved
    >>
    >> My question : why is the reallocation skipped ? I didn't found any
    >> option settings in the program..
    >>
    >> What can I do to have these bad sectors reallocation successful ?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Run a file system repair tool such as Scandisk or Chkdsk with a full
    > surface scan. Any file that contains an unreadable sector should be
    > identified during a read test, and any bad sector in free space should
    > automatically be corrected by the drive during a write test. If you
    > delete the damaged files and replace them with good copies, then any
    > bad sectors in the space that is vacated will be reallocated (or
    > retested and recovered) next time they are written to by the OS. A
    > defrag will probably result in your bad sectors being identified
    > and/or reallocated, if they are within your file area rather than at
    > the tail end of your drive.
    >
    > - Franc Zabkar

    Thanks for your reply..

    Won't this operation reallocate at the MFT level instead of the hard
    disk level ?

    Because I already performed a chkdsk /F /R of all the hard disk's
    partitions and while it no longer find/fixes errors, my imaging
    software still report it can't complete because it found bad sectors.

    Louis.

  9. Re: (solved) Reallocating bad sectors skipped - quantum fireball drive

    Louis a écrit :
    > Franc Zabkar avait prétendu :
    >> On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 18:54:36 -0400, Louis put
    >> finger to keyboard and composed:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> A PC has an IDE Quantum Fireball Plus AS 30 Gb drive which has developed 2
    >>> bad sectors.
    >>>
    >>> I used the Seagate's Seatools (DOS version) to diagnose and repair the
    >>> drive.
    >>>
    >>> After the "Full Scan" finished, I have the following log :
    >>>
    >>> Full Diagnostic Scan Result: Failed
    >>>
    >>> The Following Sectors MAY be damaged
    >>> ------------------------------------
    >>> LBA: 6316960
    >>> STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    >>> USAGE: Not Resolved
    >>>
    >>> LBA: 16875715
    >>> STATUS: Write-reallocation SKIPPED
    >>> USAGE: Not Resolved
    >>>
    >>> My question : why is the reallocation skipped ? I didn't found any
    >>> option settings in the program..
    >>>
    >>> What can I do to have these bad sectors reallocation successful ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Run a file system repair tool such as Scandisk or Chkdsk with a full
    >> surface scan. Any file that contains an unreadable sector should be
    >> identified during a read test, and any bad sector in free space should
    >> automatically be corrected by the drive during a write test. If you
    >> delete the damaged files and replace them with good copies, then any
    >> bad sectors in the space that is vacated will be reallocated (or
    >> retested and recovered) next time they are written to by the OS. A
    >> defrag will probably result in your bad sectors being identified
    >> and/or reallocated, if they are within your file area rather than at
    >> the tail end of your drive.
    >>
    >> - Franc Zabkar

    > Thanks for your reply..
    >
    > Won't this operation reallocate at the MFT level instead of the hard disk
    > level ?
    >
    > Because I already performed a chkdsk /F /R of all the hard disk's partitions
    > and while it no longer find/fixes errors, my imaging software still report it
    > can't complete because it found bad sectors.
    >
    > Louis.

    Solved !

    Instead of using a chkdsk /F /R in a command prompt to perform a chkdsk
    at boot time, I performed the chkdsk from a Bart PE bootable CD, and
    now I'm able to image the drive without getting bad sectors messages.

    Don't know exactly what the difference is between these two methods,
    but it looks like there's a difference in the results.

    Thanks.

  10. Re: (solved) Reallocating bad sectors skipped - quantum fireball drive

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:31:41 -0400, Louis put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Instead of using a chkdsk /F /R in a command prompt to perform a chkdsk
    >at boot time, I performed the chkdsk from a Bart PE bootable CD, and
    >now I'm able to image the drive without getting bad sectors messages.
    >
    >Don't know exactly what the difference is between these two methods,
    >but it looks like there's a difference in the results.

    I recently had a case of NTFS file system corruption on an XP hard
    drive. I attempted to run CHKDSK from the repair console of a bootable
    XP CD, but the file system was deemed to have unrecoverable errors. In
    fact the principle problem was an inaccessible registry file (it
    couldn't be deleted, copied, or renamed). I then installed the drive
    into an external USB enclosure, attached it to a working XP system,
    and ran CHKDSK from within a CMD window. CHKDSK found many problems,
    including an MFT issue, all of which were fixed. Prior to running
    CHKDSK, I tried to repair the drive from within the GUI via Tools >
    Properties, but this also produced an "unrecoverable" message.

    - Franc Zabkar