I can't help it, need to respond to this thread.

Look, I have successfully REMOVED A PLATTER FROM A DRIVE, SPUN THE
MOTOR AROUND A BIT, PUT THE PLATTER BACK IN, AND THE DRIVE WORKED
FINE.

Data still there, no clicking sounds.

For you folks out there telling this guy he toasted his drive just by
opening it - I highly disagree. I've tested the limits of hard drives
to see what they can take. I've even streaked my finger across the
platter leaving a nice fingerprint mark.. guess what?? Drive still
works. Not sure for how long - but my point being, the platter isn't
THAT sensitive.

Now, the heads on the other hand are EXTREMELY sensitive. Don't let
them touch PERIOD. When removing the head from the platter, you must
keep the heads apart to avoid damage.

If your hard drive is a single platter system - you might have a
chance - just make sure the replacement drive is exactly the same
model, date, firmware.. etc.

Tim Farren
Farren Technology Group