Toasted Board on WD Drive - Storage

This is a discussion on Toasted Board on WD Drive - Storage ; I smoked the board on my WD1600 drive thanks to a bad power supply. There are tons of similar boards on eBay, but I cannot match all of the numbers. MDL: WD1600BB-00FTA0 DATE: 11 MAY 2004 DCM: HSCACVJAA Board: 2061-00173-00 ...

  1. Toasted Board on WD Drive

    I smoked the board on my WD1600 drive thanks to a bad power supply. There are
    tons of similar boards on eBay, but I cannot match all of the numbers.

    MDL: WD1600BB-00FTA0
    DATE: 11 MAY 2004
    DCM: HSCACVJAA

    Board: 2061-00173-00 DH
    Chip: WD70C22 - GP
    00-01 ST 2.0

    1) How many of the numbers above have to match to get a board that will work
    with this drive?

    2) Is it likely that a defective board damages anything inside the drive?

  2. Re: Toasted Board on WD Drive

    Previously mcp6453 wrote:
    > I smoked the board on my WD1600 drive thanks to a bad power
    > supply. There are tons of similar boards on eBay, but I cannot match
    > all of the numbers.

    > MDL: WD1600BB-00FTA0
    > DATE: 11 MAY 2004
    > DCM: HSCACVJAA

    > Board: 2061-00173-00 DH
    > Chip: WD70C22 - GP
    > 00-01 ST 2.0

    > 1) How many of the numbers above have to match to get a board that will work
    > with this drive?

    > 2) Is it likely that a defective board damages anything inside the drive?

    As to 2), there is typically a read amplifier close to the heads and
    inside the drive. You may also have ''smoked'' that. If in the literal
    sense, then powering up the drive will result in a head crash with very
    high probability, as smoke particles are typically larger than the
    head-surface distance.

    Arno

  3. Re: Toasted Board on WD Drive

    Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously mcp6453 wrote:
    >> I smoked the board on my WD1600 drive thanks to a bad power
    >> supply. There are tons of similar boards on eBay, but I cannot match
    >> all of the numbers.

    >> MDL: WD1600BB-00FTA0
    >> DATE: 11 MAY 2004
    >> DCM: HSCACVJAA

    >> Board: 2061-00173-00 DH
    >> Chip: WD70C22 - GP
    >> 00-01 ST 2.0

    >> 1) How many of the numbers above have to match to get a board that will work
    >> with this drive?

    >> 2) Is it likely that a defective board damages anything inside the drive?

    > As to 2), there is typically a read amplifier close to the heads and
    > inside the drive. You may also have ''smoked'' that. If in the literal
    > sense, then powering up the drive will result in a head crash with very
    > high probability, as smoke particles are typically larger than the
    > head-surface distance.
    >
    > Arno

    Should I buy a board and give it a shot, or am I likely to toast the replacement
    board? I would really like to get the data off the drive, although it's not life
    or death.

  4. Re: Toasted Board on WD Drive

    Previously mcp6453 wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously mcp6453 wrote:
    >>> I smoked the board on my WD1600 drive thanks to a bad power
    >>> supply. There are tons of similar boards on eBay, but I cannot match
    >>> all of the numbers.

    >>> MDL: WD1600BB-00FTA0
    >>> DATE: 11 MAY 2004
    >>> DCM: HSCACVJAA

    >>> Board: 2061-00173-00 DH
    >>> Chip: WD70C22 - GP
    >>> 00-01 ST 2.0

    >>> 1) How many of the numbers above have to match to get a board that will work
    >>> with this drive?

    >>> 2) Is it likely that a defective board damages anything inside the drive?

    >> As to 2), there is typically a read amplifier close to the heads and
    >> inside the drive. You may also have ''smoked'' that. If in the literal
    >> sense, then powering up the drive will result in a head crash with very
    >> high probability, as smoke particles are typically larger than the
    >> head-surface distance.
    >>
    >> Arno

    > Should I buy a board and give it a shot, or am I likely to toast the
    > replacement board? I would really like to get the data off the
    > drive, although it's not life or death.

    I don't think you will necessarily kill the replacement.
    I just think that your chances are slim (read amplifier dead)
    and that you may kill the drive heads. There is a chance that
    the read amplifier shorts out some power lines and that you
    will blow filters on the replacement board. I have no idea
    how likely that is though, but you should probably be prepared
    tho loose the replacement board too.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread