Generic dvd boot problem - Storage

This is a discussion on Generic dvd boot problem - Storage ; I have a power mac G4 (Yikes!) that has 384MB of ram and two harddisks. I recently installed a DVD player pulled out of an old, dead PC. It works fine mostly, but will not boot or play movie DVD's. ...

  1. Generic dvd boot problem

    I have a power mac G4 (Yikes!) that has 384MB of ram and two
    harddisks. I recently installed a DVD player pulled out of an old,
    dead PC. It works fine mostly, but will not boot or play movie DVD's.
    Any ideas on drivers I can download to boot DVD's--I want to install
    OS X Tiger.

    Thanx

  2. Re: Generic dvd boot problem

    wrote:

    > I have a power mac G4 (Yikes!) that has 384MB of ram and two
    > harddisks. I recently installed a DVD player pulled out of an old,
    > dead PC. It works fine mostly, but will not boot or play movie DVD's.
    > Any ideas on drivers I can download to boot DVD's--I want to install
    > OS X Tiger.

    The irony is that, if you already had Tiger installed, you might well
    find that the drive is fully supported.

    Anyway, try downloading and running Patchburn:

    http://www.patchburn.de/download.html

    Be sure to get the version that's appropriate to your current OS.

    --
    Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
    Election 2008 goods.

  3. Re: Generic dvd boot problem

    Mike Rosenberg wrote:

    > The irony is that, if you already had Tiger installed, you might well
    > find that the drive is fully supported.
    >
    > Anyway, try downloading and running Patchburn:
    >
    > http://www.patchburn.de/download.html
    >
    > Be sure to get the version that's appropriate to your current OS.

    Wait, it occurs to me that this isn't relevant to _booting_ from a DVD.
    Are you saying that you're unable to boot from a Tiger install DVD by
    pressing the C key at startup?

    --
    Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
    Election 2008 goods.
    Prius shirts/bumper stickers
    Holiday cards with attitude

  4. Re: Generic dvd boot problem

    On Mar 8, 4:02*pm, mikeP...@TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg)
    wrote:
    > Mike Rosenberg wrote:
    > > The irony is that, if you already had Tiger installed, you might well
    > > find that the drive is fully supported.

    > > Anyway, try downloading and running Patchburn:

    > >http://www.patchburn.de/download.html

    > > Be sure to get the version that's appropriate to your current OS.

    > Wait, it occurs to me that this isn't relevant to _booting_ from a DVD.
    > Are you saying that you're unable to boot from a Tiger install DVD by
    > pressing the C key at startup?
    >
    > --
    > Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
    > Election 2008 goods.
    > Prius shirts/bumper stickers
    > Holiday cards with attitude

    I cannot boot from a DVD or even a CD. Everything else is fine.
    pressing "c" doesn't work. In fact, unplugging the harddrives to force
    boot from the CD/DVD doesn't either...

    Anyway, if this could be of any help, it is a Samsung SD-612 DVD-ROM
    w/ firmware version 1.2.2

    Thanx again

  5. Re: Generic dvd boot problem

    wrote:

    > I cannot boot from a DVD or even a CD. Everything else is fine.
    > pressing "c" doesn't work. In fact, unplugging the harddrives to force
    > boot from the CD/DVD doesn't either...
    >
    > Anyway, if this could be of any help, it is a Samsung SD-612 DVD-ROM
    > w/ firmware version 1.2.2

    I don't know anything about that specific drive, so I don't know if
    there's something about it itself that prevents it from booting your
    Mac. What exactly are the CDs and DVDs you're trying to boot from? You
    can't install OS X from discs that ship with specific Mac models other
    than yours and sometimes you can't even boot from them. Are the CDs
    ones you were able to boot from with the original optical drive?

    --
    Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
    Election 2008 goods.
    Prius shirts/bumper stickers
    Holiday cards with attitude

  6. Re: Generic dvd boot problem

    wrote:

    > I have a power mac G4 (Yikes!) that has 384MB of ram and two
    > harddisks. I recently installed a DVD player pulled out of an old,
    > dead PC. It works fine mostly, but will not boot or play movie DVD's.
    > Any ideas on drivers I can download to boot DVD's--I want to install
    > OS X Tiger.

    If a retail OS X 10.4 installer disc won't boot your PowerMac, it's
    probably because the drive's firmware isn't Mac-compatible. Check the
    drive compatiblity database at Accelerate Your Mac to see which optical
    drives will boot your machine.

+ Reply to Thread