HDD not recognized in BIOS, swapped PCBs - still not, but original PCB ok in other drive - Storage

This is a discussion on HDD not recognized in BIOS, swapped PCBs - still not, but original PCB ok in other drive - Storage ; HDD is not being detected in Bios. I have tried in two PCs. I've checked jumpers and connections. I have another drive bought at the same time (4 yrs ago) so I swapped the PCBs over. The drive still is ...

  1. HDD not recognized in BIOS, swapped PCBs - still not, but original PCB ok in other drive

    HDD is not being detected in Bios. I have tried in two PCs. I've
    checked jumpers and connections. I have another drive bought at the
    same time (4 yrs ago) so I swapped the PCBs over. The drive still is
    not detected but the other drive is still working OK. I assumed if the
    drive wasn't detecting in Bios, it was the PCB but obviously not the
    case.

    The drive is a IBM deskstar 169Gb IDE. Not sure if the drive is
    spinning up or not - is it obvious by feel? If the drive was not
    spinning up because its stuck then would the bios not recognise the
    drive.

    TIA

  2. Re: HDD not recognized in BIOS, swapped PCBs - still not, but original PCB ok in other drive

    Previously MD wrote:
    > HDD is not being detected in Bios. I have tried in two PCs. I've
    > checked jumpers and connections. I have another drive bought at the
    > same time (4 yrs ago) so I swapped the PCBs over. The drive still is
    > not detected but the other drive is still working OK. I assumed if the
    > drive wasn't detecting in Bios, it was the PCB but obviously not the
    > case.

    > The drive is a IBM deskstar 169Gb IDE. Not sure if the drive is
    > spinning up or not - is it obvious by feel?

    Typically, yes.

    >If the drive was not
    > spinning up because its stuck then would the bios not recognise the
    > drive.

    Drives don't get stuck today. I would assume thos one is one
    more "deathstar".

    Arno

  3. Re: HDD not recognized in BIOS, swapped PCBs - still not, but original PCB ok in other drive

    MD wrote:

    > HDD is not being detected in Bios. I have tried in two PCs. I've
    > checked jumpers and connections. I have another drive bought at the
    > same time (4 yrs ago) so I swapped the PCBs over. The drive still is
    > not detected but the other drive is still working OK. I assumed if the
    > drive wasn't detecting in Bios, it was the PCB but obviously not the case.

    Yeah, with some drives, if the logic card doesnt
    like the physical drive, it wont show up in the bios.

    > The drive is a IBM deskstar 169Gb IDE.

    They aint called deathstars for nothing.

    > Not sure if the drive is spinning up or not - is it obvious by feel?

    Yes.

    > If the drive was not spinning up because its stuck

    That doesnt happen with those drives.

    > then would the bios not recognise the drive.

    Correct. If it doesnt spin up, it wont show up in the bios.

+ Reply to Thread