File recovery utility for less common file types? - Storage

This is a discussion on File recovery utility for less common file types? - Storage ; Hi I've had good results using a particular file recovery program but it will only search for standard files types i.e. doc, txt, generic picture formats etc etc. Are then any recovery utilities which can be instructed to look for ...

  1. File recovery utility for less common file types?

    Hi

    I've had good results using a particular file recovery program but it will
    only search for standard files types i.e. doc, txt, generic picture formats
    etc etc.

    Are then any recovery utilities which can be instructed to look for a non
    standard extension or part of a file name which isn't a standard file type?

    Thanks for any info

    Ian

  2. Re: File recovery utility for less common file types?

    On Mar 8, 9:47*am, "Ian R" wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I've had good results using a particular file recovery program but it will
    > only search for standard files types i.e. doc, txt, generic picture formats
    > etc etc.
    >
    > Are then any recovery utilities which can be instructed to look for a non
    > standard extension or part of a file name which isn't a standard file type?
    >
    > Thanks for any info
    >
    > Ian

    You appear to be using a recovery program that works on signature
    alone. A signature on it's own will not regenerate a file name,
    though it can be possible to create a file name based on meta data
    within the file. This signature only recovery mode should be
    considered the last resort for recovery unless you just want photos /
    jpegs recovered.

    You don't mention the type of non standard files you want to recover.
    Some may be posible, and others may have no recognisable structure, or
    header to search for. Doing a straigh search for a signature may also
    produce false positives, ie when the program thinks it has found a
    file start, when in fact it is still in the middle of a good file.

    There are some programs that do allow you to enter search strings, I
    have never personally evaluated any.

    For better recovery, and it does depend on the failure mode, you want
    a program that will work on logical recovery, based on existing
    filenames, directories etc. The file type to be recovered is then less
    important. Again, depending on failure mode, and operating system,
    this may also take care of the problem that some files that may be
    fragmented.

    Michael
    www.cnwrecovery.com

  3. Re: File recovery utility for less common file types?

    mscotgrove@aol.com wrote in
    > On Mar 8, 9:47 am, "Ian R" wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I've had good results using a particular file recovery program but it will
    > > only search for standard files types i.e. doc, txt, generic picture formats
    > > etc etc.
    > >
    > > Are then any recovery utilities which can be instructed to look for a non
    > > standard extension or part of a file name which isn't a standard file type?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any info
    > >
    > > Ian

    > You appear to be using a recovery program that works on signature alone.

    Oh, what exactly makes you think that.

  4. Re: File recovery utility for less common file types?

    On Mar 12, 9:03*pm, "Stretch" wrote:
    > mscotgr...@aol.com wrote innews:4073661f-04a7-4aff-810c-177df33d5e27@u69g2000hse.googlegroups.com*
    >
    > > On Mar 8, 9:47 am, "Ian R" wrote:
    > > > Hi

    > > > I've had good results using a particular file recovery program but it will
    > > > only search for standard files types i.e. doc, txt, generic picture formats
    > > > etc etc.

    > > > Are then any recovery utilities which can be instructed to look for a non
    > > > standard extension or part of a file name which isn't a standard file type?

    > > > Thanks for any info

    > > > Ian

    > > You appear to be using a recovery program that works on signature alone.*

    > Oh, what exactly makes you think that.

    My guess that you are using a program based on signatures is because
    it only searches for standard file types. If the program was using
    directory information, then the file type would not be important. To
    the operating system, generally speaking, a file is file, be it a
    picture, a database, or unique data file.

    My other assumption (also a guess) is that you are using Windows.

    Are my guesses correct, or way off the mark?

    Michael

  5. Re: File recovery utility for less common file types?

    mscotgrove@aol.com wrote in
    > On Mar 12, 9:03 pm, "Stretch" wrote:
    > > mscotgr...@aol.com wrote
    > > innews:4073661f-04a7-4aff-810c-177df33d5e27@u69g2000hse.googlegroups.com

    > > > You appear to be using a recovery program that works on signature alone.

    > > Oh, what exactly makes you think that.

    > My guess that you are using a program based on signatures is because
    > it only searches for standard file types.
    > If the program was using directory information, then the file type would
    > not be important.

    Completely off his rocker.

    > To the operating system, generally speaking, a file is file, be it a
    > picture, a database, or unique data file.
    >
    > My other assumption (also a guess) is that you are using Windows.
    >
    > Are my guesses correct, or way off the mark?
    >
    > Michael

  6. Re: File recovery utility for less common file types?

    On Mar 13, 6:35*pm, "Floyd" wrote:
    > mscotgr...@aol.com wrote innews:32543714-1004-4de8-a346-fc6be525e279@a1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com*
    >

    > > On Mar 12, 9:03 pm, "Stretch" wrote:
    > > > mscotgr...@aol.com wrote
    > > > innews:4073661f-04a7-4aff-810c-177df33d5e27@u69g2000hse.googlegroups.com

    > > > Oh, what exactly makes you think that.

    > > My guess that you are using a program based on signatures is because
    > > it only searches for standard file types. *
    > > If the program was using directory information, then the file type would
    > > not be important.

    > Completely off his rocker.
    >

    > > To the operating system, generally speaking, a file is file, be it a
    > > picture, a database, or unique data file.

    > > My other assumption (also a guess) is that you are using Windows.

    > > Are my guesses correct, or way off the mark?

    > > Michael- Hide quoted text -

    Are Floyd and Stretch related??

    Newsgroups are for sharing of information, helping others, throwing
    around ideas. Lets try and keep this group a good positive 'meeting
    place'.

    Michael

  7. Re: File recovery utility for less common file types?

    Yep, its all ****nert avoiding killfiles.

    They have always had their resident trolls like ****nert too.

    > Lets try and keep this group a good positive 'meeting place'.

    You'll have to send the death squad around to ****nert's padded cell to achieve that in here.

+ Reply to Thread