Lost 200Gb in external hard drive. - Storage

This is a discussion on Lost 200Gb in external hard drive. - Storage ; Hello. I would like to share I problem I encountered and hopefully I could get some help.I have an external hard drive,a Lacie Porsche design which was working flawlessly. I have Xp professional with Sp2 installed.It's a 500Gb external.I also ...

  1. Lost 200Gb in external hard drive.

    Hello.

    I would like to share I problem I encountered and hopefully I could get
    some help.I have an external hard drive,a Lacie Porsche design which was
    working flawlessly.

    I have Xp professional with Sp2 installed.It's a 500Gb external.I also
    have a 500 Gb Seagate external and yet another 500 Gb Lacie
    installed(not the Porsche design)

    Up to yesterday I had 200Gb or some, free now I have only 9Gb!!!

    I have only 1 folder installed,which is 273Gb.How can I have only 9Gb
    free?!

    At startup it says windows is checking for disk conficiency so I let it
    check and it says that I have 200 Gb free space.

    But when I log in to check I see that it has only 9!

    As you can see below ,my drives:

    '[image: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5...382en4.th.jpg]'
    (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?i...5668382en4.jpg)

    K:Lacie porshe design
    E:My other Lacie
    D:Free agent

    If I right click "properties" I get the same result:

    '[image: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/1...970bo2.th.jpg]'
    (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9975970bo2.jpg)

    If I click to open the Lacie you will see a folder "Hiper" :

    '[image: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/589...222sn2.th.jpg]'
    (http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=62715222sn2.jpg)

    Right clicking it and "properties" you will see that its 229Gb:

    '[image: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/4...726oz3.th.jpg]'
    (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9970726oz3.jpg)

    Even using a file commander you can see that it has 9Gb left:

    '[image: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3...001cf9.th.jpg]'
    (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6169001cf9.jpg)

    I would really appreciate any help because I really don't know what to
    do!

    Both hard drives are Fat32.Should I move my files to another hard drive
    and format k:?

    Thank you so much for your time!!

    Chris
    Greece

  2. Re: Lost 200Gb in external hard drive.

    And your problem is what exactly?

    malestrom wrote in news:malestrom.35tp1x@no.email.invalid
    > Hello.
    >
    > I would like to share I problem I encountered and hopefully I could get
    > some help.I have an external hard drive,a Lacie Porsche design which was
    > working flawlessly.
    >
    > I have Xp professional with Sp2 installed.It's a 500Gb external.I also
    > have a 500 Gb Seagate external and yet another 500 Gb Lacie
    > installed(not the Porsche design)
    >
    > Up to yesterday I had 200Gb or some, free now I have only 9Gb!!!
    >
    > I have only 1 folder installed,which is 273Gb.How can I have only 9Gb
    > free?!
    >
    > At startup it says windows is checking for disk conficiency so I let it
    > check and it says that I have 200 Gb free space.
    >
    > But when I log in to check I see that it has only 9!
    >
    > As you can see below ,my drives:
    >
    > '[image: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5...382en4.th.jpg]'
    > (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?i...5668382en4.jpg)
    >
    > K:Lacie porshe design
    > E:My other Lacie
    > D:Free agent
    >
    > If I right click "properties" I get the same result:
    >
    > '[image: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/1...970bo2.th.jpg]'
    > (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9975970bo2.jpg)
    >
    > If I click to open the Lacie you will see a folder "Hiper" :
    >
    > '[image: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/589...222sn2.th.jpg]'
    > (http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=62715222sn2.jpg)
    >
    > Right clicking it and "properties" you will see that its 229Gb:
    >
    > '[image: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/4...726oz3.th.jpg]'
    > (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9970726oz3.jpg)
    >
    > Even using a file commander you can see that it has 9Gb left:
    >
    > '[image: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3...001cf9.th.jpg]'
    > (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6169001cf9.jpg)
    >
    > I would really appreciate any help because I really don't know what to
    > do!
    >
    > Both hard drives are Fat32.Should I move my files to another hard drive
    > and format k:?
    >
    > Thank you so much for your time!!
    >
    > Chris
    > Greece

  3. Re: Lost 200Gb in external hard drive.

    Previously malestrom wrote:

    > Hello.

    > I would like to share I problem I encountered and hopefully I could get
    > some help.I have an external hard drive,a Lacie Porsche design which was
    > working flawlessly.

    > I have Xp professional with Sp2 installed.It's a 500Gb external.I also
    > have a 500 Gb Seagate external and yet another 500 Gb Lacie
    > installed(not the Porsche design)

    > Up to yesterday I had 200Gb or some, free now I have only 9Gb!!!

    > I have only 1 folder installed,which is 273Gb.How can I have only 9Gb
    > free?!

    [...]

    First I suspect that you actually mean GB, not Gb (which is 8 times
    less).

    It is possible that you actually have only 9GB left, beacues of
    a large number of small files. The calculation that you have
    more free by the disk check would then simply be wrong.

    An other option is lost space due to a lost large file.
    Checkdisk should usually find these and clean them up, but
    with the usual MS quality level, it may also fail at this.

    What in detail did you do in between havin 200GB free and
    having 9GB free?

    Arno

  4. Re: Lost 200Gb in external hard drive.

    @Stretch

    > And your problem is what exactly?

    So you don't think I have a problem?Would you not have a problem or
    would you just leave it as it is?

    I really don't understand your question.....

    @Arno Wagner

    Thank you for your reply!

    Sorry for the small "b" but since we are talking about external hard
    drives it's obvious it's GB.

    There is no lost file and I simply did nothing.I just turned it on and
    there was no more space.I'm going to move everything to another hard
    disk and I'll make it NTFS from FAT32 first and if there is no
    recovering I'll format it and if still I can't recover all 465 GB then
    I'll throw it away.

    I simply posted this problem since this is a TECH forum and I was just
    trying to find an answer from someone who really knows since I'm no
    wizard on hardware.

    Thank you for your time.

    Chris

  5. Re: Lost 200Gb in external hard drive.

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:639bjiF23r659U1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously malestrom wrote:
    >
    > > Hello.

    > > I would like to share I problem I encountered and hopefully I could get
    > > some help.I have an external hard drive,a Lacie Porsche design which was
    > > working flawlessly.

    > > I have Xp professional with Sp2 installed.It's a 500Gb external.I also
    > > have a 500 Gb Seagate external and yet another 500 Gb Lacie
    > > installed(not the Porsche design)

    > > Up to yesterday I had 200Gb or some, free now I have only 9Gb!!!

    > > I have only 1 folder installed,which is 273Gb.How can I have only 9Gb
    > > free?!

    > [...]
    >
    > First I suspect that you actually mean GB, not Gb (which is 8 times
    > less).
    >
    > It is possible that you actually have only 9GB left, beacues of
    > a large number of small files. The calculation that you have
    > more free by the disk check would then simply be wrong.

    > An other option is lost space due to a lost large file.
    > Checkdisk should usually find these and clean them up, but
    > with the usual MS quality level, it may also fail at this.

    Yeah, obviously can't be operator error.

    > What in detail did you do in between havin 200GB free and
    > having 9GB free?

    Adding a gazillion very small files, of course. What a stupid question.

    > Arno

  6. Re: Lost 200Gb in external hard drive.

    malestrom wrote in news:malestrom.35vowq@no.email.invalid
    > @Stretch
    >
    > > And your problem is what exactly?

    > So you don't think I have a problem?

    I don't know, which is why I asked. Do you have a problem?

    > Would you not have a problem or would you just leave it as it is?

    That depends on whether there is a real problem or just a perceived one.

    > I really don't understand your question.....

    Is there only 9GB free space available or is there more. Which one is true.

    How difficult can it be to test that when you have over 200 GB to test with.
    Think man, use that grey matter.
    Make a copy of that folder of yours and see whether it stops after 9GB
    copied or that it just copies most all the way.
    Then you know whether you have a real problem or just a perceived one.
    If it all copies and you delete the copy it's quite possible that the percei-
    ved problem has also gone away.

    > @Arno Wagner
    >
    > Thank you for your reply!
    >
    > Sorry for the small "b" but since we are talking about external hard
    > drives it's obvious it's GB.
    >
    > There is no lost file and I simply did nothing.

    > I just turned it on and there was no more space.

    That's not what you said earlier.
    There was no evidence that you ever actually checked.

    > I'm going to move everything to another hard
    > disk and I'll make it NTFS from FAT32 first and if there is no
    > recovering I'll format it and if still I can't recover all 465 GB then
    > I'll throw it away.

    > I simply posted this problem since this is a TECH forum and I was just
    > trying to find an answer from someone who really knows since I'm no
    > wizard on hardware.

    But it's a software problem.

    > Thank you for your time.
    >
    > Chris

  7. Re: Lost 200Gb in external hard drive.

    Previously malestrom wrote:
    [...]
    > Thank you for your reply!

    > Sorry for the small "b" but since we are talking about external hard
    > drives it's obvious it's GB.

    > There is no lost file and I simply did nothing.I just turned it on and
    > there was no more space.I'm going to move everything to another hard
    > disk and I'll make it NTFS from FAT32 first and if there is no
    > recovering I'll format it and if still I can't recover all 465 GB then
    > I'll throw it away.

    Hmm. Surprising indeed. I see an other possibility: You may have
    removed it too fast or swithed it off to early and something in the
    filesystem admin info got mangled. Chkdsk should find something like
    this though. Did you ''safely remove'' the disk before or leave it
    running while powering down the computer?

    The last possibility I see, is a bug in the OS, plain and simple.
    One test you can do (after backup) is to see how much data you can
    put on the disk, before it refuses to take more. You would
    then need to check whether all data is still ok, or whether
    something was overwritten. Possibly not wiorth the effort, unless
    the problem manifests itself again.

    > I simply posted this problem since this is a TECH forum and I was just
    > trying to find an answer from someone who really knows since I'm no
    > wizard on hardware.

    That is ok. There are just some trolls here. Disregard them.

    > Thank you for your time.

    No problem.

    Arno

  8. Re: Lost 200Gb in external hard drive.

    Thank you I figured and solved it by myself.

    @Stretch

    Boy,you are one great guy to have around to help.Always helpful,and
    kind.

    I see you know more about these issues than me.Excellent in helping
    people.Your approach is one of the best also.

    You see,if I did know what to do and you understood that I have no idea
    on how to approach and solve this then you would have taken some of your
    precious time to help.

    I do use the gray matter I have.My job needs a lot.

    Thank you for your help.

    Chris

  9. Re: Lost 200Gb in external hard drive.

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:32:44 -0600, malestrom
    put finger to keyboard and
    composed:

    >Hello.
    >
    >I would like to share I problem I encountered and hopefully I could get
    >some help.I have an external hard drive,a Lacie Porsche design which was
    >working flawlessly.
    >
    >I have Xp professional with Sp2 installed.It's a 500Gb external.I also
    >have a 500 Gb Seagate external and yet another 500 Gb Lacie
    >installed(not the Porsche design)
    >
    >Up to yesterday I had 200Gb or some, free now I have only 9Gb!!!
    >
    >I have only 1 folder installed,which is 273Gb.How can I have only 9Gb
    >free?!
    >
    >At startup it says windows is checking for disk conficiency so I let it
    >check and it says that I have 200 Gb free space.
    >
    >But when I log in to check I see that it has only 9!
    >
    >As you can see below ,my drives:
    >
    >'[image: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5...382en4.th.jpg]'
    >(http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?i...5668382en4.jpg)
    >
    >K:Lacie porshe design
    >E:My other Lacie
    >D:Free agent
    >
    >If I right click "properties" I get the same result:
    >
    >'[image: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/1...970bo2.th.jpg]'
    >(http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9975970bo2.jpg)
    >
    >If I click to open the Lacie you will see a folder "Hiper" :
    >
    >'[image: http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/589...222sn2.th.jpg]'
    >(http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=62715222sn2.jpg)
    >
    >Right clicking it and "properties" you will see that its 229Gb:
    >
    >'[image: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/4...726oz3.th.jpg]'
    >(http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9970726oz3.jpg)
    >
    >Even using a file commander you can see that it has 9Gb left:
    >
    >'[image: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3...001cf9.th.jpg]'
    >(http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?i...6169001cf9.jpg)
    >
    >I would really appreciate any help because I really don't know what to
    >do!
    >
    >Both hard drives are Fat32.Should I move my files to another hard drive
    >and format k:?
    >
    >Thank you so much for your time!!
    >
    >Chris
    >Greece

    According to MS documentation (see below), "a provision is made to
    store the 'last known' free cluster count on the FAT32 volume so that
    it does not have to be computed as soon as an API call is made to ask
    how much free space there is on the volume (like at the end of a
    directory listing)."

    This "Free_Count" word is located in the FSInfo sector and "contains
    the last known free cluster count on the volume. If the value is
    0xFFFFFFFF, then the free count is unknown and must be computed. Any
    other value can be used, but is not necessarily correct."

    Essentially what this means is that, if the system crashes or the
    drive is removed before the "Free_Count" word is updated, then the
    free disc space may be incorrectly reported by any utility that relies
    on this value. Instead, the correct free space can be calculated by
    adding up the free clusters in the FAT. This is done during a Win9x
    Scandisk and probably during a Win XP Chkdsk.

    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../fatgen103.doc

    - Franc Zabkar