Overheating transformer - Storage

This is a discussion on Overheating transformer - Storage ; Someone threw a blanket over the transformer for my laptop. Some time later the monitor picture began to vary in brightness. I removed the blanket and found that the transformer was extremely hot. In fact, the label on it had ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Overheating transformer

  1. Overheating transformer

    Someone threw a blanket over the transformer for my laptop. Some time later
    the monitor picture began to vary in brightness. I removed the blanket and
    found that the transformer was extremely hot. In fact, the label on it had
    got stuck to the PVC-covered armchair it was resting on. I disconnected the
    transformer, let it cool down, and now I've reconnected it again. It seems
    to be all right, but is there a chance of a delayed reaction, or a fault
    developing later?

    Thanks for your advice.

    Geoff



  2. Re: Overheating transformer

    Geoff Harris wrote:

    > Someone threw a blanket over the transformer for my laptop. Some time later the monitor picture began to vary in
    > brightness. I removed the blanket and found that the transformer was extremely hot. In fact,
    > the label on it had got stuck to the PVC-covered armchair it was
    > resting on. I disconnected the transformer, let it cool down, and now
    > I've reconnected it again. It seems to be all right, but is there a
    > chance of a delayed reaction, or a fault developing later?


    If it still works fine, it will likely continue to work fine.

    Its possible you may have cooked the electros, but that should have
    produced an immediate effect, so if it still works, it should be fine.




  3. Re: Overheating transformer

    Previously Geoff Harris wrote:
    > Someone threw a blanket over the transformer for my laptop. Some time later
    > the monitor picture began to vary in brightness. I removed the blanket and
    > found that the transformer was extremely hot. In fact, the label on it had
    > got stuck to the PVC-covered armchair it was resting on. I disconnected the
    > transformer, let it cool down, and now I've reconnected it again. It seems
    > to be all right, but is there a chance of a delayed reaction, or a fault
    > developing later?


    There is. One thing is significantly reduced lifetime. However, if you
    could still touch it without getting burns, it was below something
    like 62C, and is likely ok. Even if it was damaged, the only likely
    failure mode is it dying. A fire is extremely unlikely, and you
    are certainly not the only one with an incident of this type.
    Since these things must not burst into flames on overheating,
    the manufacturer would have issued a recall if the internal
    protection circuitry had failed in the past. So I think this is
    a "you may loose it, but otherwise don't worry" in the worst case.

    Arno



  4. Re: Overheating transformer

    Arno Wagner wrote in news:637vl3F26d4peU1@mid.individual.net
    > Previously Geoff Harris wrote:
    > > Someone threw a blanket over the transformer for my laptop. Some time later
    > > the monitor picture began to vary in brightness. I removed the blanket and
    > > found that the transformer was extremely hot. In fact, the label on it had
    > > got stuck to the PVC-covered armchair it was resting on. I disconnected the
    > > transformer, let it cool down, and now I've reconnected it again. It seems
    > > to be all right, but is there a chance of a delayed reaction, or a fault
    > > developing later?

    >
    > There is. One thing is significantly reduced lifetime. However, if you
    > could still touch it without getting burns, it was below something


    > like 62C,


    On the outside.

    > and is likely ok.
    > Even if it was damaged, the only likely failure mode is it dying.


    Clueless.
    It's a switching power supply with voltage up to 400 Volts in there.

    > A fire is extremely unlikely,


    More clueless. That depends on whether the plastic is flame retardant.
    That the label came off doesn't bode well for the overall quality of
    that thing.

    > and you are certainly not the only one with an incident of this type.
    > Since these things must not burst into flames on overheating,
    > the manufacturer would have issued a recall if the internal


    > protection circuitry had failed in the past.


    Which apparently it has already. It's not normal for a label to shed.

    > So I think this is a "you may loose it, but otherwise don't worry" in the
    > worst case.


    That depends on whether the switching PS or the Laptop is fitted with
    an overvoltage protection that takes out any fuse before more damage
    occurs.

    > Arno


+ Reply to Thread