Why so few IDE 7200 rpm notebook drives? - Storage

This is a discussion on Why so few IDE 7200 rpm notebook drives? - Storage ; You can find any combination except that -- an affordable 7200 rpm notebook drive in IDE. If you want SATA, there are gobs. Unfortunately, I can't physically fit anything but an IDE in the laptop (as is the case for ...

  1. Why so few IDE 7200 rpm notebook drives?

    You can find any combination except that -- an affordable 7200 rpm
    notebook drive in IDE. If you want SATA, there are gobs.
    Unfortunately, I can't physically fit anything but an IDE in the laptop
    (as is the case for most).

    Since the increase in speed is ideal for a lot of people who are
    upgrading their notebooks, why are these so rare? It makes no sense.

    They were apparently plentiful at one time; Newegg lists 5, but they're
    all out of stock.

    .... or are they THAT popular that retailers can't keep them in the stores?

  2. Re: Why so few IDE 7200 rpm notebook drives?

    Robert Barr wrote

    > You can find any combination except that -- an affordable 7200 rpm notebook drive in IDE. If you want SATA, there are
    > gobs. Unfortunately, I can't physically fit anything but an IDE in the laptop (as is the case for most).

    > Since the increase in speed is ideal for a lot of people who are
    > upgrading their notebooks, why are these so rare? It makes no sense.

    > They were apparently plentiful at one time; Newegg lists 5, but they're all out of stock.

    > ... or are they THAT popular that retailers can't keep them in the stores?

    Usual problem, supply out of synch with demand or newegg ****ed up.

  3. Re: Why so few IDE 7200 rpm notebook drives?

    Previously Robert Barr wrote:
    > You can find any combination except that -- an affordable 7200 rpm
    > notebook drive in IDE. If you want SATA, there are gobs.
    > Unfortunately, I can't physically fit anything but an IDE in the laptop
    > (as is the case for most).

    > Since the increase in speed is ideal for a lot of people who are
    > upgrading their notebooks, why are these so rare? It makes no sense.

    > They were apparently plentiful at one time; Newegg lists 5, but they're
    > all out of stock.

    > ... or are they THAT popular that retailers can't keep them in the stores?

    I suspect they are not produced anymore. And that before they were
    generally problematic because of increased heat and power consumption.
    The newer model, with this partially fixed, are all SATA, since
    the upgrade market is likely very, very small.

    Arno

  4. Re: Why so few IDE 7200 rpm notebook drives?

    Arno Wagner wrote
    > Previously Robert Barr wrote:
    > > You can find any combination except that -- an affordable 7200 rpm
    > > notebook drive in IDE. If you want SATA, there are gobs.
    > > Unfortunately, I can't physically fit anything but an IDE in the laptop
    > > (as is the case for most).

    > > Since the increase in speed is ideal for a lot of people who are
    > > upgrading their notebooks, why are these so rare? It makes no sense.

    > > They were apparently plentiful at one time; Newegg lists 5, but they're
    > > all out of stock.

    > > ... or are they THAT popular that retailers can't keep them in the stores?

    > I suspect they are not produced anymore. And that before they were
    > generally problematic because of increased heat and power consumption.
    > The newer model, with this partially fixed,

    > are all SATA, since the upgrade market is likely very, very small.

    And as we all know all new notebooks come without (SATA) drives so
    obviously the reseller market for that is quite large.

    Arnie, always so on top of things. What would we do without him.
    Give the man a medal.

    > Arno

+ Reply to Thread