My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it? - Storage

This is a discussion on My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it? - Storage ; Hi guys, I have just bought a 4th HD for my P4 3.0 Mhz, 2GB Ram. Abit IC7-G. The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering 3 Mb/s but since my mobos SATA ports can only handle ...

  1. My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    Hi guys,

    I have just bought a 4th HD for my P4 3.0 Mhz, 2GB Ram. Abit IC7-G.

    The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering 3 Mb/s but since my
    mobos SATA ports can only handle 1.5 M/s I will have to limit the
    drive through software.

    All four drives are SATA II and all spin at 7200 rpms.
    2 of them are 160 GB each and the third one 250 GB.
    Those 3 all have 8 MB cache, while the new 500 GB disk has 16 MB
    cache.

    The easiest would obviously be to add the new one last in the chain
    (logically), and just move over some large folders onto it to ease on
    the space of the other three. But, maybe I should take the plunge and
    put it first in the chain, move Windows onto it, either clone or even
    do a fresh install.

    What do you think, is it worth it? Will I really gain much speed?

    Reinstalling Windows from scratch is a big job. I have quite a lot of
    software on it and I am really fussy with how it looks.
    It is a quite ordinary desktop machine.
    Windows has its own separate partition.

    Lars
    Stockholm

  2. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    "Lars" wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have just bought a 4th HD for my P4 3.0 Mhz, 2GB Ram.
    > Abit IC7-G.
    >
    > The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering
    > 3 Mb/s but since my mobos SATA ports can only handle
    > 1.5 M/s I will have to limit the drive through software.
    >
    > All four drives are SATA II and all spin at 7200 rpms.
    > 2 of them are 160 GB each and the third one 250 GB.
    > Those 3 all have 8 MB cache, while the new 500 GB
    > disk has 16 MB cache.
    >
    > The easiest would obviously be to add the new one last
    > in the chain (logically), and just move over some large
    > folders onto it to ease on the space of the other three.
    > But, maybe I should take the plunge and put it first in the
    > chain, move Windows onto it, either clone or even do
    > a fresh install.
    >
    > What do you think, is it worth it? Will I really gain much
    > speed?
    >
    > Reinstalling Windows from scratch is a big job. I have
    > quite a lot of software on it and I am really fussy with
    > how it looks.
    > It is a quite ordinary desktop machine.
    > Windows has its own separate partition.
    >
    > Lars
    > Stockholm

    Hej Lasse - I doubt any HD configuration will result
    in any discernable difference in speed unless you're doing
    a *lot* of big file I/O, and if that is the case, you might
    want to throw in another stick or two or RAM. (2GB is
    big for XP, but just the "sweetspot" for Vista). Putting
    the swap file in the outside partition of the HD that
    doesn't get much use theoretically increases swap file
    performance, but again, if you need swap file performance,
    you don't have enough RAM. What *I'd* do with that
    500GB is use a partition of it for a backup of the OS -
    either a clone (which could be immediately booted) or
    an image file (which would need "restoration" before it
    could be booted, but which would be smaller than a
    clone). But that would be only if you had to be up and
    running in the shortest time on the same PC. Otherwise,
    I'd imagine 500GBs are great for movie editing. :-)

    *TimDaniels*

  3. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    Lars wrote

    > I have just bought a 4th HD for my P4 3.0 Mhz, 2GB Ram. Abit IC7-G.

    > The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering 3 Mb/s but since my mobos
    > SATA ports can only handle 1.5 M/s I will have to limit the drive through software.

    Its unlikely to even be a noticeable effect. Real thruput is limited
    by the drive physical characteristics, particularly sectors per track.

    > All four drives are SATA II and all spin at 7200 rpms.
    > 2 of them are 160 GB each and the third one 250 GB.

    > Those 3 all have 8 MB cache, while the new 500 GB disk has 16 MB cache.

    That wont have any real effect.

    > The easiest would obviously be to add the new one last in the chain (logically), and
    > just move over some large folders onto it to ease on the space of the other three.
    > But, maybe I should take the plunge and put it first in the chain, move Windows onto it,

    Yes, its generally best to make the new drive the boot
    drive, just because it generally is the best performer.

    > either clone or even do a fresh install.

    Clone is all you need to do.

    > What do you think, is it worth it? Will I really gain much speed?

    Yes, the difference should be noticeable.

    > Reinstalling Windows from scratch is a big job.

    Yeah, and there is nothing to be achieved by doing that, cloning is fine.

    > I have quite a lot of software on it and I am really fussy with how it looks.

    The files and settings transfer wizard does make a clean install much
    easier than it used to be, but there's nothing to be gained over a clone.

    > It is a quite ordinary desktop machine.

    > Windows has its own separate partition.

    There's no real point in that. Unfortunately you will need to do a clean install to change that.

  4. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "Lars" wrote:
    >> Hi guys,
    >>
    >> I have just bought a 4th HD for my P4 3.0 Mhz, 2GB Ram.
    >> Abit IC7-G.
    >>
    >> The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering
    >> 3 Mb/s but since my mobos SATA ports can only handle
    >> 1.5 M/s I will have to limit the drive through software.
    >>
    >> All four drives are SATA II and all spin at 7200 rpms.
    >> 2 of them are 160 GB each and the third one 250 GB.
    >> Those 3 all have 8 MB cache, while the new 500 GB
    >> disk has 16 MB cache.
    >>
    >> The easiest would obviously be to add the new one last
    >> in the chain (logically), and just move over some large
    >> folders onto it to ease on the space of the other three.
    >> But, maybe I should take the plunge and put it first in the
    >> chain, move Windows onto it, either clone or even do
    >> a fresh install.
    >>
    >> What do you think, is it worth it? Will I really gain much
    >> speed?
    >>
    >> Reinstalling Windows from scratch is a big job. I have
    >> quite a lot of software on it and I am really fussy with
    >> how it looks.
    >> It is a quite ordinary desktop machine.
    >> Windows has its own separate partition.

    > I doubt any HD configuration will result in any discernable difference in speed unless you're doing a *lot* of big
    > file I/O,

    Even just the boot should be noticeably faster if the new drive is.

    > and if that is the case, you might want to throw in another stick or two or RAM.

    Wont have any effect on big file IO.

    > (2GB is big for XP, but just the "sweetspot" for Vista).

    > Putting the swap file in the outside partition of the HD that doesn't get much use theoretically increases swap file
    > performance, but again, if you need swap file performance, you don't have enough RAM.

    > What *I'd* do with that 500GB is use a partition of it for a backup of the OS

    More fool you. It makes a lot more sense to use the new drive
    as the boot drive and use one of the other drives as the backup.
    They are all plenty big enough to be the backup for the OS.

    > either a clone (which could be immediately booted)

    Few need anything like that, because it happens so rarely, in practice never.

    > or an image file (which would need "restoration" before it could be booted, but which would be smaller than a clone).
    > But that would be only if you had to be up and
    > running in the shortest time on the same PC.

    > Otherwise, I'd imagine 500GBs are great for movie editing. :-)

    Your porn is your problem, child.

  5. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote:
    >> What *I'd* do with that 500GB is use a partition of it for a
    >> backup of the OS

    > More fool you. It makes a lot more sense to use the new drive
    > as the boot drive and use one of the other drives as the backup.
    > They are all plenty big enough to be the backup for the OS.

    It depends on how big the OP's OS partition is and how large
    his data files are, isn't it sock puppet?

    *TimDaniels*

  6. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    "Rod Speed" flailed:

    Alzheimers sets into Roddel's brain - the OP already said:

    "The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering 3 Mb/s
    but since my mobos SATA ports can only handle 1.5 M/s I
    will have to limit the drive through software."

    Hey, RodBot - take your pills!

    *TimDaniels*

  7. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    Timothy Daniels wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Timothy Daniels wrote

    >>> What *I'd* do with that 500GB is use a partition of it for a backup of the OS

    >> More fool you. It makes a lot more sense to use the new drive
    >> as the boot drive and use one of the other drives as the backup.
    >> They are all plenty big enough to be the backup for the OS.

    > It depends on how big the OP's OS partition is

    You quite sure you aint one of those rocket scientist ****wit children ?

    No OS partition is bigger than his smallest drive, even if you backup by cloning.

    > and how large his data files are

    The size of the OS partition has absolutely NOTHING do with how large the data files are.

    If there is enough free space on the new 500GB drive for the backup of the OS partition,
    by definition there will also be if the new 500GB drive is used for the boot partition and
    one of the smaller drives is used for the backup of the OS partition, stupid.

  8. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    Timothy Daniels wrote

    We'll see, ****wit child.

    > - the OP already said:

    > "The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering 3 Mb/s but since my mobos SATA ports can only handle 1.5 M/s I
    > will have to limit the drive through software."

    Irrelevant to whether the new 500GB drive physical characteristics, particularly
    the sectors per track mean that its faster than the older drives, ****wit child.

  9. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    "Rod Speed" wrote:
    > No OS partition is bigger than his smallest drive,
    > even if you backup by cloning.

    Don't be a pathetic old babblebot, Roddels. If you
    will review my posting, you will see that I suggested that
    *one partition* be used for an OS clone. The rest of the
    HD can be used for whatever the OP wants.

    *TimDaniels*

  10. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    "Rod Speed" gurgled and choked:
    > Timothy Daniels wrote
    >> - the OP already said:

    >> "The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering
    >> 3 Mb/s but since my mobos SATA ports can only handle
    >> 1.5 M/s I will have to limit the drive through software."

    > Irrelevant to whether the new 500GB drive physical
    > characteristics, particularly the sectors per track mean
    > that its faster than the older drives, ****wit child.

    Babble that in properly composed English grammar,
    and we'll see if your brain isn't farting through your ears,
    babblebot.

    *TimDaniels*

  11. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    Some terminal ****wit claiming to be
    Timothy Daniels SpamBucket@NoSpamPlease.biz
    desperately attempted to bull**** its way out of its
    predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

  12. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    Some terminal ****wit claiming to be
    Timothy Daniels SpamBucket@NoSpamPlease.biz
    desperately attempted to bull**** its way out of its
    predicament and fooled absolutely no one at all, as always.

  13. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    Timothy Daniels wrote in news:47c91998$0$24086$4c368faf@roadrunner.com
    > "Rod Speed" flailed:
    > > Yes, its generally best to make the new drive the boot
    > > drive, just because it generally is the best performer.

    > Alzheimers sets into Roddel's brain - the OP already said:
    >
    > "The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering 3 Mb/s
    > but since my mobos SATA ports can only handle 1.5 M/s

    > I will have to limit the drive through software."

    Which merely proves that the OP is a clueless moron.

    > Hey, RodBot - take your pills!

    Alzheimers, huh. Practicing in front of the mirror again, Timmy?
    Wotanidjut.

    > *TimDaniels*

  14. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    "Stretch" gurgled:
    > Which merely proves that the OP is a clueless moron.
    >

    >> Hey, RodBot - take your pills!

    > Alzheimers, huh. Practicing in front of the mirror again, Timmy?
    > Wotanidjut.

    Another sock puppet joins Roddel's shelf. Why? Because
    Roddel's sick operater NEEDS them.

    *TimDaniels*

  15. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    Previously, on Usenet "Stretch" wrote:

    >> - the OP already said:
    >> "The new one is a 500 GB SATA capable of delivering 3 Mb/s
    >> but since my mobos SATA ports can only handle 1.5 M/s

    >> I will have to limit the drive through software."

    >Which merely proves that the OP is a clueless moron.

    This is what Hitachi has to say about it;

    SATA Settings
    WARNING!
    SWITCHING YOUR DRIVE TO SUPPORT 3.0Gb/s OR ENABLING SPREAD SPECTRUM
    CLOCKING ON YOUR DRIVE AND THEN USING IT IN A SYSTEM THAT CANNOT
    SUPPORT THESE FUNCTIONS, MAY RENDER YOUR DRIVE UNUSABLE IN THAT
    SYSTEM.
    Early generation SATA drives where introduced supporting 1.5Gb/s
    interface transfer speeds. Advances in technology have introduced a
    new standard that can support transfer speeds of up to 3.0Gb/s.
    Hitachi Global Storage Technologies SATA products (Deskstar 7K80
    onwards) support up to 3.0Gb/s.
    Unfortunately some Host controllers in the market have yet to support
    the latest standard in itís entirety, thus if drives set to support
    these recent features were to be attached to those Hosts the drive may
    not be able to boot. Only if you are completely confident that your
    system supports either of these features should you consider setting
    them.

    Lars
    Stockholm

  16. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    Previously, on Usenet "Rod Speed" wrote:

    >Even just the boot should be noticeably faster if the new drive is.

    Yes it does seem faster. But I have run in to a bunch of problems,
    probably I am running out of power here. Mu PSU can deliver 315 W and
    that may not be enough for 4 HD's, 2 DVD's, 2 extra cooling fans and
    my ASUS 9600 XT.

    At first everything seemed fine, but after a few reboots suddenly the
    system would not Post, but only gave some beeps. Now it seems that the
    graphics card has died entirely. Presently I am back to an old Matrox
    card, awaiting a new ATI.

    I ran HD-Tune 2.50 on the disks. Here is what it gave on average
    transfer;

    Both 160 GB disks; 47 MB/sec
    The 250 GB disk; 52.6 MB/sec
    The 500 GB disk; 78 MB/sec

    Lars
    Stockholm

  17. Re: My new 500 GB drive, what to do with it?

    Lars wrote:
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >> Even just the boot should be noticeably faster if the new drive is.

    > Yes it does seem faster. But I have run in to a bunch of problems,
    > probably I am running out of power here. Mu PSU can deliver 315 W
    > and that may not be enough for 4 HD's, 2 DVD's, 2 extra cooling fans
    > and my ASUS 9600 XT.

    Yeah, likely that is the problem.

    Some discard the smallest drive in the situation.

    > At first everything seemed fine, but after a few reboots suddenly
    > the system would not Post, but only gave some beeps. Now it
    > seems that the graphics card has died entirely. Presently I am
    > back to an old Matrox card, awaiting a new ATI.

    > I ran HD-Tune 2.50 on the disks. Here is what it gave on average transfer;

    > Both 160 GB disks; 47 MB/sec
    > The 250 GB disk; 52.6 MB/sec
    > The 500 GB disk; 78 MB/sec

    Yeah, certainly worth making the new drive the boot drive.

+ Reply to Thread