Ext HD - Mac and PC compatibility - Storage

This is a discussion on Ext HD - Mac and PC compatibility - Storage ; I currently have a PC and plan to move to a Mac in the next few months. I'd like to buy an external HD that will mainly hold video for editing and was curious if anyone had advice/known issues about ...

  1. Ext HD - Mac and PC compatibility

    I currently have a PC and plan to move to a Mac in the next few
    months. I'd like to buy an external HD that will mainly hold video
    for editing and was curious if anyone had advice/known issues about
    using the HD for the PC and the MAC.

    I am aware of the FAT v NTFS formatting required and am looking into a
    Maxtor One Touch 4 500G drive.

    I'm open to suggestions and any guidance would be appreciated.

    -Trevor

  2. Re: Ext HD - Mac and PC compatibility

    FAT32 is your only choice, unless there is a UDF version supported by both XP and OSX.

    FAT32 is limited to 4GB files, which limits your videos.
    You need a third party util to format over 32GB as FAT32,
    and a 500GB volume will be slow for some operations.

    "Trevor Stone" wrote in message
    >I currently have a PC and plan to move to a Mac in the next few
    > months. I'd like to buy an external HD that will mainly hold video
    > for editing and was curious if anyone had advice/known issues about
    > using the HD for the PC and the MAC.
    >
    > I am aware of the FAT v NTFS formatting required and am looking into a
    > Maxtor One Touch 4 500G drive.

  3. Re: Ext HD - Mac and PC compatibility

    In article <13shl42mn3meg08@corp.supernews.com>, Eric Gisin wrote:
    > FAT32 is your only choice, unless there is a UDF version supported by both XP and OSX.

    How about formatting the drive for OSX and using MacDrive to access it
    from Windows XP?

    (See http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/ for details. Bottom
    line, for $50US you can have full access to Mac filesystems from Windows.)

    --
    Roger Blake
    (Subtract 10s for email.)

  4. Re: Ext HD - Mac and PC compatibility

    Roger Blake wrote:

    > In article <13shl42mn3meg08@corp.supernews.com>, Eric Gisin wrote:
    > > FAT32 is your only choice, unless there is a UDF version supported by both XP and OSX.

    > How about formatting the drive for OSX and using MacDrive to access it
    > from Windows XP?
    >
    > (See http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/ for details. Bottom
    > line, for $50US you can have full access to Mac filesystems from Windows.)

    Excellent product - installed on all my (non WinXP64) systems.

    Works almost flawlessly.

    Duncan
    --
    Retrodata
    www.retrodata.co.uk

  5. Re: Ext HD - Mac and PC compatibility

    Previously Trevor Stone wrote:
    > I currently have a PC and plan to move to a Mac in the next few
    > months. I'd like to buy an external HD that will mainly hold video
    > for editing and was curious if anyone had advice/known issues about
    > using the HD for the PC and the MAC.

    > I am aware of the FAT v NTFS formatting required and am looking into a
    > Maxtor One Touch 4 500G drive.

    > I'm open to suggestions and any guidance would be appreciated.

    > -Trevor

    Just an addition to the other excellent comments: On the hardware
    side any USB2.0 external drive should work with a MAC. The only
    thing you need to solve is the filesystem issue.

    Side note as to the Maxtors: They run hot and have disks in them
    that are sensitive to heat. Not a good choice, it seems. Gte
    something with a fan.

    Arno

  6. Re: Ext HD - Mac and PC compatibility

    Thanks for all the helpful comments. Looks like I'll be doing a bit
    more research.

    -Trevor

+ Reply to Thread