Chaining backups together with Backup Exec 11d - Storage

This is a discussion on Chaining backups together with Backup Exec 11d - Storage ; My issue is, I've got a webapp server that I NEED to have backed up as fast as possible, so it can be brought back online ASAP. I want to set something up to begin the data backup once the ...

  1. Chaining backups together with Backup Exec 11d

    My issue is, I've got a webapp server that I NEED to have backed up as
    fast as possible, so it can be brought back online ASAP. I want to
    set something up to begin the data backup once the webapp server
    backup is complete. In my investigation of the "policies and
    templates" feature of BE11, it doesn't look like I can give separate
    selection lists to separate steps in the process (to create the step 1
    completes -> step 2 starts dependency). It really seems like this
    should be an easy thing to do with BE, but I'm not having any luck.
    Anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this?

  2. Re: Chaining backups together with Backup Exec 11d

    Previously Coleman wrote:
    > My issue is, I've got a webapp server that I NEED to have backed up as
    > fast as possible, so it can be brought back online ASAP. I want to
    > set something up to begin the data backup once the webapp server
    > backup is complete. In my investigation of the "policies and
    > templates" feature of BE11, it doesn't look like I can give separate
    > selection lists to separate steps in the process (to create the step 1
    > completes -> step 2 starts dependency). It really seems like this
    > should be an easy thing to do with BE, but I'm not having any luck.
    > Anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this?

    What is BE11? What OS? What hardware?

    And what are you actually trying to accomplish?

    Arno

  3. Re: Chaining backups together with Backup Exec 11d

    On Mar 1, 7:27*pm, Arno Wagner wrote:
    > Previously Coleman wrote:
    > > My issue is, I've got a webapp server that I NEED to have backed up as
    > > fast as possible, so it can be brought back online ASAP. *I want to
    > > set something up to begin the data backup once the webapp server
    > > backup is complete. *In my investigation of the "policies and
    > > templates" feature of BE11, it doesn't look like I can give separate
    > > selection lists to separate steps in the process (to create the step 1
    > > completes -> step 2 starts dependency). *It really seems like this
    > > should be an easy thing to do with BE, but I'm not having any luck.
    > > Anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this?

    > What is BE11? What OS? What hardware?
    >
    > And what are you actually trying to accomplish?
    >
    > Arno

    BE11 is Backup Exec version 11 (it said it in the subject line).
    Windows Server 2003 is the OS. Hardware is going to be backup-to-disk
    (as in an external hard drive).

    I'm trying to have two jobs run in sequence, i.e. Job A runs to
    completion, and upon completion of Job A, Job B begins.

  4. Re: Chaining backups together with Backup Exec 11d

    Previously Coleman wrote:
    > On Mar 1, 7:27*pm, Arno Wagner wrote:
    >> Previously Coleman wrote:
    >> > My issue is, I've got a webapp server that I NEED to have backed up as
    >> > fast as possible, so it can be brought back online ASAP. *I want to
    >> > set something up to begin the data backup once the webapp server
    >> > backup is complete. *In my investigation of the "policies and
    >> > templates" feature of BE11, it doesn't look like I can give separate
    >> > selection lists to separate steps in the process (to create the step 1
    >> > completes -> step 2 starts dependency). *It really seems like this
    >> > should be an easy thing to do with BE, but I'm not having any luck.
    >> > Anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this?

    >> What is BE11? What OS? What hardware?
    >>
    >> And what are you actually trying to accomplish?
    >>
    >> Arno

    > BE11 is Backup Exec version 11 (it said it in the subject line).
    > Windows Server 2003 is the OS. Hardware is going to be backup-to-disk
    > (as in an external hard drive).

    > I'm trying to have two jobs run in sequence, i.e. Job A runs to
    > completion, and upon completion of Job A, Job B begins.

    Aha. And this product does not let you do that? I suggest you
    toss it, since that is elementary functionality.

    Arno

+ Reply to Thread