Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by - Storage

This is a discussion on Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by - Storage ; I just purchased Acronis 11 and after reading the manual- realized that this is a very powerful program and before I install it on my newest Dell running Vista which is now my main business computer, I decided to test ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    I just purchased Acronis 11 and after reading the manual- realized that this
    is a very powerful program and before I install it on my newest Dell running
    Vista which is now my main business computer, I decided to test it on an
    older (2004) Dell running XP.

    It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to hibernate
    the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then did a full
    shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the problem. This
    morning I realized after the first required reboot to complete the
    installation process- I didn't remove the installation disk - so perhaps
    that was causing the system to not hibernate- so I removed the installation
    disk- and tried again, no luck. I uninstalled the program, then reinstalled,
    then tried again to hibernate, no luck.

    The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process started- THEN-
    the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I turned the system back on-
    it was still showing the uninstallation process- I completed the uninstall.
    Once Acronis is uninstalled, the hibernate process works just fine.

    Comments appreciated.

    Joe

  2. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    "Joe" wrote in message news:0lUxj.4095$RQ3.46@trndny05...
    >I just purchased Acronis 11 and after reading the manual- realized that
    >this is a very powerful program and before I install it on my newest Dell
    >running Vista which is now my main business computer, I decided to test it
    >on an older (2004) Dell running XP.
    >
    > It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to hibernate
    > the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then did a full
    > shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the problem. This
    > morning I realized after the first required reboot to complete the
    > installation process- I didn't remove the installation disk - so perhaps
    > that was causing the system to not hibernate- so I removed the
    > installation disk- and tried again, no luck. I uninstalled the program,
    > then reinstalled, then tried again to hibernate, no luck.
    >
    > The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process started-
    > THEN- the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I turned the system
    > back on- it was still showing the uninstallation process- I completed the
    > uninstall. Once Acronis is uninstalled, the hibernate process works just
    > fine.
    >
    > Comments appreciated.

    Hibernate is bad as a general habit. Don't do it... Reboots are always
    better.

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com

  3. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    "Greg Cisko" wrote in message
    news:sdydnZRUnu_DhVXanZ2dnUVZ_vCknZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > "Joe" wrote in message news:0lUxj.4095$RQ3.46@trndny05...
    >>I just purchased Acronis 11 and after reading the manual- realized that
    >>this is a very powerful program and before I install it on my newest Dell
    >>running Vista which is now my main business computer, I decided to test it
    >>on an older (2004) Dell running XP.
    >>
    >> It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to
    >> hibernate the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then did a
    >> full shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the problem.
    >> This morning I realized after the first required reboot to complete the
    >> installation process- I didn't remove the installation disk - so perhaps
    >> that was causing the system to not hibernate- so I removed the
    >> installation disk- and tried again, no luck. I uninstalled the program,
    >> then reinstalled, then tried again to hibernate, no luck.
    >>
    >> The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process started-
    >> THEN- the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I turned the system
    >> back on- it was still showing the uninstallation process- I completed the
    >> uninstall. Once Acronis is uninstalled, the hibernate process works just
    >> fine.
    >>
    >> Comments appreciated.

    > Hibernate is bad as a general habit. Don't do it... Reboots are always
    > better.

    You may be right- and let's just assume that you are right- nonetheless, the
    fact that the program interferes with the OS like this makes it
    untrustworthy.

    Also, just to be sure that the problem wasn't due to a bug in the boxed
    version, I downloaded the latest trial version and see the same problem.

    Nobody has seen this problem?

    Joe

  4. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Joe wrote:
    > I just purchased Acronis 11 and after reading the manual- realized
    > that this is a very powerful program and before I install it on my
    > newest Dell running Vista which is now my main business computer, I
    > decided to test it on an older (2004) Dell running XP.
    >
    > It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to
    > hibernate the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then
    > did a full shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the
    > problem. This morning I realized after the first required reboot to
    > complete the installation process- I didn't remove the installation
    > disk - so perhaps that was causing the system to not hibernate- so I
    > removed the installation disk- and tried again, no luck. I
    > uninstalled the program, then reinstalled, then tried again to
    > hibernate, no luck.
    > The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process started-
    > THEN- the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I turned the
    > system back on- it was still showing the uninstallation process- I
    > completed the uninstall. Once Acronis is uninstalled, the hibernate
    > process works just fine.
    > Comments appreciated.

    Just some quirk of that particular Dell.

    I dont get that effect on the systems I have installed TI 11 on.

  5. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Greg Cisko wrote:
    > "Joe" wrote in message
    >> I just purchased Acronis 11 and after reading the manual- realized
    >> that this is a very powerful program and before I install it on my
    >> newest Dell running Vista which is now my main business computer, I
    >> decided to test it on an older (2004) Dell running XP.
    >>
    >> It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to
    >> hibernate the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then
    >> did a full shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the
    >> problem. This morning I realized after the first required reboot to
    >> complete the installation process- I didn't remove the installation
    >> disk - so perhaps that was causing the system to not hibernate- so I
    >> removed the installation disk- and tried again, no luck. I
    >> uninstalled the program, then reinstalled, then tried again to
    >> hibernate, no luck. The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process started-
    >> THEN- the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I turned the
    >> system back on- it was still showing the uninstallation process- I
    >> completed the uninstall. Once Acronis is uninstalled, the hibernate
    >> process works just fine.
    >>
    >> Comments appreciated.

    > Hibernate is bad as a general habit.

    Wrong.

    > Don't do it... Reboots are always better.

    Wrong again.

  6. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Joe wrote:
    > "Greg Cisko" wrote in message
    > news:sdydnZRUnu_DhVXanZ2dnUVZ_vCknZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> "Joe" wrote in message
    >>> I just purchased Acronis 11 and after reading the manual- realized
    >>> that this is a very powerful program and before I install it on my
    >>> newest Dell running Vista which is now my main business computer, I
    >>> decided to test it on an older (2004) Dell running XP.
    >>>
    >>> It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to
    >>> hibernate the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then
    >>> did a full shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the
    >>> problem. This morning I realized after the first required reboot to
    >>> complete the installation process- I didn't remove the installation
    >>> disk - so perhaps that was causing the system to not hibernate- so
    >>> I removed the installation disk- and tried again, no luck. I
    >>> uninstalled the program, then reinstalled, then tried again to
    >>> hibernate, no luck. The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process
    >>> started- THEN- the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I
    >>> turned the system back on- it was still showing the uninstallation
    >>> process- I completed the uninstall. Once Acronis is uninstalled,
    >>> the hibernate process works just fine.
    >>>
    >>> Comments appreciated.

    >> Hibernate is bad as a general habit. Don't do it... Reboots are
    >> always better.

    > You may be right- and let's just assume that you are right-
    > nonetheless, the fact that the program interferes with the OS like
    > this makes it untrustworthy.
    >
    > Also, just to be sure that the problem wasn't due to a bug in the
    > boxed version, I downloaded the latest trial version and see the same
    > problem.
    > Nobody has seen this problem?

    Nope, must be some quirk of that particular Dell.

    I havent seen that on any system I have installed TI 11 on, and I do normally hibernate.

  7. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    When you install Acronis, it has a lot of bells and whistles to offer. Many
    of these require running services on your system. At least four of them. If
    you don't use the bells and whistles, you can block their startup with no
    problems. It is likely that one of these is keeping your system from
    hibernating. You can disable them one at a time, and test for yourself.

    I realize there are differences of opinion on hibernation, but it sure
    doesn't belong inside an install or uninstall procedure.

    Your assumption that interfering with hibernation makes the program or OS
    somehow unreliable is unfounded. Most systems use specific tweaks to
    implement hibernation, and it is often tacked onto the OS. In any event,
    failing to hibernate does not make a system unstable or unreliable.

    Relax a bit and work with it and see if Acronis can't help you out. By the
    way they have very active and very helpful forums on their website.

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > Joe wrote:
    >> I just purchased Acronis 11 and after reading the manual- realized
    >> that this is a very powerful program and before I install it on my
    >> newest Dell running Vista which is now my main business computer, I
    >> decided to test it on an older (2004) Dell running XP.
    >>
    >> It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to
    >> hibernate the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then
    >> did a full shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the
    >> problem. This morning I realized after the first required reboot to
    >> complete the installation process- I didn't remove the installation
    >> disk - so perhaps that was causing the system to not hibernate- so I
    >> removed the installation disk- and tried again, no luck. I
    >> uninstalled the program, then reinstalled, then tried again to
    >> hibernate, no luck.
    >> The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process started-
    >> THEN- the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I turned the
    >> system back on- it was still showing the uninstallation process- I
    >> completed the uninstall. Once Acronis is uninstalled, the hibernate
    >> process works just fine.
    >> Comments appreciated.

    > Just some quirk of that particular Dell.
    >
    > I dont get that effect on the systems I have installed TI 11 on.

  8. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Just a bit further. The various versions of Acronis are good matches to
    their contemporary systems, but poor matches to systems outside that range.
    Using V11 on an older system practically guarantees some rough edges. It is
    set up for the newer hardware. The same with trying to use V8 on a new Vista
    system.

    Again, good luck!

    "Wandering" wrote in message
    > When you install Acronis, it has a lot of bells and whistles to offer.
    > Many
    > of these require running services on your system. At least four of them.
    > If
    > you don't use the bells and whistles, you can block their startup with no
    > problems. It is likely that one of these is keeping your system from
    > hibernating. You can disable them one at a time, and test for yourself.
    >
    > I realize there are differences of opinion on hibernation, but it sure
    > doesn't belong inside an install or uninstall procedure.
    >
    > Your assumption that interfering with hibernation makes the program or OS
    > somehow unreliable is unfounded. Most systems use specific tweaks to
    > implement hibernation, and it is often tacked onto the OS. In any event,
    > failing to hibernate does not make a system unstable or unreliable.
    >
    > Relax a bit and work with it and see if Acronis can't help you out. By
    > the
    > way they have very active and very helpful forums on their website.
    >

    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >> Joe wrote:
    >>> I just purchased Acronis 11 and after reading the manual- realized
    >>> that this is a very powerful program and before I install it on my
    >>> newest Dell running Vista which is now my main business computer, I
    >>> decided to test it on an older (2004) Dell running XP.
    >>>
    >>> It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to
    >>> hibernate the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then
    >>> did a full shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the
    >>> problem. This morning I realized after the first required reboot to
    >>> complete the installation process- I didn't remove the installation
    >>> disk - so perhaps that was causing the system to not hibernate- so I
    >>> removed the installation disk- and tried again, no luck. I
    >>> uninstalled the program, then reinstalled, then tried again to
    >>> hibernate, no luck.
    >>> The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process started-
    >>> THEN- the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I turned the
    >>> system back on- it was still showing the uninstallation process- I
    >>> completed the uninstall. Once Acronis is uninstalled, the hibernate
    >>> process works just fine.
    >>> Comments appreciated.

    >> Just some quirk of that particular Dell.
    >>
    >> I dont get that effect on the systems I have installed TI 11 on.

  9. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Wandering wrote:

    > When you install Acronis, it has a lot of bells and whistles to offer.

    Yes.

    Nope, **** all of them do.

    > At least four of them.

    Wrong.

    > If you don't use the bells and whistles, you can block their startup with no problems.

    > It is likely that one of these is keeping your system from hibernating.

    But its only an older test system, not the one he plans to install it on.

    > You can disable them one at a time, and test for yourself.

    > I realize there are differences of opinion on hibernation, but it sure doesn't belong inside an install or uninstall
    > procedure.

    > Your assumption that interfering with hibernation makes the program or OS somehow unreliable is unfounded. Most
    > systems use specific tweaks to implement hibernation, and it is often tacked onto the OS.

    Wrong again. The real problem is that some drivers dont support hibernation.

    > In any event, failing to hibernate does not make a system unstable or unreliable.

    > Relax a bit and work with it and see if Acronis can't help you out. By the way they have very active and very helpful
    > forums on their website.

    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Joe wrote

    >>> I just purchased Acronis 11 and after reading the manual- realized
    >>> that this is a very powerful program and before I install it on my
    >>> newest Dell running Vista which is now my main business computer, I
    >>> decided to test it on an older (2004) Dell running XP.
    >>>
    >>> It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to
    >>> hibernate the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then
    >>> did a full shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the
    >>> problem. This morning I realized after the first required reboot to
    >>> complete the installation process- I didn't remove the installation
    >>> disk - so perhaps that was causing the system to not hibernate- so I
    >>> removed the installation disk- and tried again, no luck. I
    >>> uninstalled the program, then reinstalled, then tried again to
    >>> hibernate, no luck.
    >>> The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process
    >>> started- THEN- the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I
    >>> turned the system back on- it was still showing the uninstallation
    >>> process- I completed the uninstall. Once Acronis is uninstalled,
    >>> the hibernate process works just fine.
    >>> Comments appreciated.

    >> Just some quirk of that particular Dell.
    >>
    >> I dont get that effect on the systems I have installed TI 11 on.

  10. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Wandering wrote:

    > Just a bit further. The various versions of Acronis are good matches to their contemporary systems, but poor matches
    > to systems outside that range. Using V11 on an older system practically guarantees some rough edges.

    Pig ignorant drivel.

    > It is set up for the newer hardware.

    Wrong, as always.

    > The same with trying to use V8 on a new Vista system.

    Wrong, as always.

    > Again, good luck!

    You dont need luck if you know what you are doing.

    > Wandering wrote

    >> When you install Acronis, it has a lot of bells and whistles to
    >> offer. Many
    >> of these require running services on your system. At least four of
    >> them. If
    >> you don't use the bells and whistles, you can block their startup
    >> with no problems. It is likely that one of these is keeping your
    >> system from hibernating. You can disable them one at a time, and
    >> test for yourself. I realize there are differences of opinion on hibernation, but it
    >> sure doesn't belong inside an install or uninstall procedure.
    >>
    >> Your assumption that interfering with hibernation makes the program
    >> or OS somehow unreliable is unfounded. Most systems use specific
    >> tweaks to implement hibernation, and it is often tacked onto the OS.
    >> In any event, failing to hibernate does not make a system unstable
    >> or unreliable. Relax a bit and work with it and see if Acronis can't help you out. By the
    >> way they have very active and very helpful forums on their website.
    >>

    >> "Rod Speed" wrote in message

    >>> Just some quirk of that particular Dell.
    >>>
    >>> I dont get that effect on the systems I have installed TI 11 on.

  11. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >> Don't do it... Reboots are always better.

    > Wrong again.

    Must be a windows/PC expert or something...

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com

  12. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Greg Cisko wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Greg Cisko wrote

    >>> Don't do it... Reboots are always better.

    >> Wrong again.

    > Must be a windows/PC expert or something...

    You must be a pathetic excuse for a lying bull**** artist, or something....

  13. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    > Greg Cisko wrote
    >> Rod Speed wrote
    >>> Greg Cisko wrote

    >>> Wrong again.

    >> Must be a windows/PC expert or something...

    > You must be a pathetic excuse for a lying bull**** artist, or
    > something....

    Know what asshole? I am here looking for the best backup software
    for my PC. I really do not need to get into someone that thinks they
    are the ultimate asshole or something. Amazing that every newsgroup
    has one.

    *PLONK*

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com

  14. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Greg Cisko wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Greg Cisko wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> Must be a windows/PC expert or something...

    >> You must be a pathetic excuse for a lying bull**** artist, or something....

    > Know what asshole?

    Your sig is supposed to be the last thing in the post,
    with a line with -- on it by itself before it, ****wit child.

    > I am here looking for the best backup software for my PC.

    You have always been, and always will be, completely and utterly irrelevant.

    What you might or might not claim to be looking for in spades.

    Never ever could bull**** its way out of a wet paper bag.

    > *PLONK*

    Fat lot of good that will ever do you, stupid plonker.

  15. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    In message <62r2uuF248n6vU1@mid.individual.net>, Rod Speed
    writes
    >Joe wrote:
    >> "Greg Cisko" wrote in message
    >> news:sdydnZRUnu_DhVXanZ2dnUVZ_vCknZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >>> "Joe" wrote in message

    >>> Hibernate is bad as a general habit. Don't do it... Reboots are
    >>> always better.

    >> You may be right- and let's just assume that you are right-
    >> nonetheless, the fact that the program interferes with the OS like
    >> this makes it untrustworthy.
    >>
    >> Also, just to be sure that the problem wasn't due to a bug in the
    >> boxed version, I downloaded the latest trial version and see the same
    >> problem.
    >> Nobody has seen this problem?

    >Nope, must be some quirk of that particular Dell.
    >
    >I havent seen that on any system I have installed TI 11 on, and I do
    >normally hibernate.

    Me too.
    --
    bertieboy
    One hydrogen atom to another: I've lost an electron. Are you sure? Yes, I'm

  16. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Absolute bull****. Don't but **** hardware.

    >> Wrong again.

    > Must be a windows/PC expert or something...

    You must be retarded.

  17. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    "Greg Cisko" wrote in message
    newssKdnSRzs6iq6VTanZ2dnUVZ_vumnZ2d@comcast.com...

    > Know what asshole? I am here looking for the best backup software
    > for my PC. I really do not need to get into someone that thinks they
    > are the ultimate asshole or something. Amazing that every newsgroup
    > has one.

    You sure are.

  18. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Rod Speed wrote:

    >> Hibernate is bad as a general habit.

    > Wrong.
    >
    >> Don't do it... Reboots are always better.

    > Wrong again.

    Depends on your hardware. Hibernate has issues on some hardware. You can
    hibernate ok but it won't come out of hibernation. I've had that happen
    and is why I don't bother with it anymore.

  19. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Backspace wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >>> Hibernate is bad as a general habit.

    >> Wrong.

    >>> Don't do it... Reboots are always better.

    >> Wrong again.

    > Depends on your hardware.

    Nope, his ALWAYS is just plain wrong. And the first claim in spades.

    > Hibernate has issues on some hardware.

    Yes, but that normally prevents hibernation, so the choice doesnt arise.

    > You can hibernate ok but it won't come out of hibernation. I've had that happen and is why I don't bother with it
    > anymore.

    Different matter entirely to his completely stupid proclamation.

  20. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >> You can hibernate ok but it won't come out of hibernation. I've had that
    >> happen and is why I don't bother with it anymore.

    > Different matter entirely to his completely stupid proclamation.

    *PLONK*

    --

    gcisko@hotmail.com
    \