Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by - Storage

This is a discussion on Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by - Storage ; Greg Cisko wrote: > "Rod Speed" wrote in message > news:63h9jlF27oq9bU1@mid.individual.net... >>> You can hibernate ok but it won't come out of hibernation. I've had >>> that happen and is why I don't bother with it anymore. >> >> Different ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Greg Cisko wrote:
    > "Rod Speed" wrote in message
    >>> You can hibernate ok but it won't come out of hibernation. I've had
    >>> that happen and is why I don't bother with it anymore.

    >> Different matter entirely to his completely stupid proclamation.

    > *PLONK*

    You clearly lied the first time you tried that, stupid plonker.

  2. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    On Feb 29, 7:07 am, "Joe" wrote:
    > I just purchasedAcronis11and after reading the manual- realized that this
    > is a very powerful program and before I install it on my newest Dell running
    > Vista which is now my main business computer, I decided to test it on an
    > older (2004) Dell running XP.
    >
    > It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to hibernate
    > the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then did a full
    > shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the problem. This
    > morning I realized after the first required reboot to complete the
    > installation process- I didn't remove the installation disk - so perhaps
    > that was causing the system to not hibernate- so I removed the installation
    > disk- and tried again, no luck. I uninstalled the program, then reinstalled,
    > then tried again to hibernate, no luck.
    >
    > The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process started- THEN-
    > the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I turned the system back on-
    > it was still showing the uninstallation process- I completed the uninstall.
    > OnceAcronisis uninstalled, the hibernate process works just fine.
    >
    > Comments appreciated.
    >
    > Joe

    The answers here are wrong.

    Acronis technical support has indicated that this is a known problem
    since November. They have not fixed it.

    The problem is that the TryandDecide service is stopping hibernation
    and sometimes shutdown (the message for that is 'there is a long
    process underway....'

    They will fix it in the next release or update (thanks alot...the
    earliest that happens is every 6 months).

    In the meantime, you have to manually turn off the service using ctrl-
    alt-delete and disable the tryanddecide service.

    Unfortunately, this only works for the current session...you have to
    do this every time you reboot.

    There is no way to stop this.

  3. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:17:24 -0700 (PDT), Alpha wrote:

    > On Feb 29, 7:07 am, "Joe" wrote:
    >> I just purchasedAcronis11and after reading the manual- realized that this
    >> is a very powerful program and before I install it on my newest Dell running
    >> Vista which is now my main business computer, I decided to test it on an
    >> older (2004) Dell running XP.
    >>
    >> It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to hibernate
    >> the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then did a full
    >> shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the problem. This
    >> morning I realized after the first required reboot to complete the
    >> installation process- I didn't remove the installation disk - so perhaps
    >> that was causing the system to not hibernate- so I removed the installation
    >> disk- and tried again, no luck. I uninstalled the program, then reinstalled,
    >> then tried again to hibernate, no luck.
    >>
    >> The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process started- THEN-
    >> the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I turned the system back on-
    >> it was still showing the uninstallation process- I completed the uninstall.
    >> OnceAcronisis uninstalled, the hibernate process works just fine.
    >>
    >> Comments appreciated.
    >>
    >> Joe

    > The answers here are wrong.
    >
    > Acronis technical support has indicated that this is a known problem
    > since November. They have not fixed it.
    >
    > The problem is that the TryandDecide service is stopping hibernation
    > and sometimes shutdown (the message for that is 'there is a long
    > process underway....'
    >
    > They will fix it in the next release or update (thanks alot...the
    > earliest that happens is every 6 months).
    >
    > In the meantime, you have to manually turn off the service using ctrl-
    > alt-delete and disable the tryanddecide service.
    >
    > Unfortunately, this only works for the current session...you have to
    > do this every time you reboot.
    >
    > There is no way to stop this.

    Try disabling the service.

    Start > Run > services.msc
    Double-click on Acronis Try and Decide Service
    Click Stop
    Set the Startup Type combo to Disabled
    OK etc

  4. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Alpha wrote
    > Joe wrote

    >> I just purchasedAcronis11and after reading the manual- realized that
    >> this is a very powerful program and before I install it on my newest
    >> Dell running Vista which is now my main business computer, I decided
    >> to test it on an older (2004) Dell running XP.
    >>
    >> It installed OK but before trying to use the program, I tried to
    >> hibernate the PC. Nothing happened - it sat there for hours. I then
    >> did a full shutdown and that worked OK. I thought I'd sleep on the
    >> problem. This morning I realized after the first required reboot to
    >> complete the installation process- I didn't remove the installation
    >> disk - so perhaps that was causing the system to not hibernate- so I
    >> removed the installation disk- and tried again, no luck. I
    >> uninstalled the program, then reinstalled, then tried again to
    >> hibernate, no luck.
    >>
    >> The really weird thing is that as the UNinstallation process
    >> started- THEN- the system decided to hibernate, which it did, I
    >> turned the system back on- it was still showing the uninstallation
    >> process- I completed the uninstall. OnceAcronisis uninstalled, the
    >> hibernate process works just fine.
    >>
    >> Comments appreciated.

    > The answers here are wrong.

    They cant be when it works fine for them.

    > Acronis technical support has indicated that this is a known problem since November.

    Bare faced lie when stated as absolutely as you just did.

    > They have not fixed it.

    > The problem is that the TryandDecide service is stopping hibernation and
    > sometimes shutdown (the message for that is 'there is a long process underway....'

    How odd that mine hibernate fine.

    > They will fix it in the next release or update (thanks alot...
    > the earliest that happens is every 6 months).

    Another bare faced lie.

    > In the meantime, you have to manually turn off the service
    > using ctrl-alt-delete and disable the tryanddecide service.

    Wrong, as always.

    > Unfortunately, this only works for the current session...
    > you have to do this every time you reboot.

    How odd that mine hibernate fine.

    > There is no way to stop this.

    How odd that mine hibernate fine.

  5. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Having started this thread- and having a problem hibernating on an XP with
    Acronis 11- I've had several emails with Acronis tech support- in the last,
    it was suggested that I turn off the Try and Decide Service- and, voila- I
    can now hibernate. I probably never would have tried that service anyways.

    Joe

    "Backspace" wrote in message
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >
    >>> Hibernate is bad as a general habit.

    >> Wrong.
    >>
    >>> Don't do it... Reboots are always better.

    >> Wrong again.

    > Depends on your hardware. Hibernate has issues on some hardware. You can
    > hibernate ok but it won't come out of hibernation. I've had that happen
    > and is why I don't bother with it anymore.

  6. Re: Acronis 11 on XP stops proper hibernate or stand by

    Correct- turning it off as you describe keeps it off.

    What other known bugs are there that Acronis admits to?

    Joe

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2